Building a Home in Davao

hk blues
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

I did this on the yacht with some success...

Perhaps you can turn off your water supply. Then disconnect the hose or pipe before where you suspect it is leaking. Put a few drops of food colouring in the pipe or hose. The re-connect it and turn on the supply. Observe carefully right after you power it all up and you might be able to find the leak... Good luck, HK!

The theory is great Tom, but the reality is somewhat different given the pipes are either buried below ground or in walls so even the fault finding to isolate the issue we did seemed to cause more trouble i.e. we now have pipes with several more joints than originally - as we all know, leaks are more likely to occur at joints than anywhere else.  

Edit to Add - given that most here are happy to have permanently dripping faucets and standpipes I suppose my very miniscule leak is nothing to lose sleep over.  

Edited by hk blues
  • Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, hk blues said:

The theory is great Tom, but the reality is somewhat different given the pipes are either buried below ground or in walls so even the fault finding to isolate the issue we did seemed to cause more trouble i.e. we now have pipes with several more joints than originally - as we all know, leaks are more likely to occur at joints than anywhere else.  

I agree, HK... But at least maybe they can determine where the leaks are occurring?

So maybe someone knows they don't have to dig up or excavate their entire wall, but just 50% of it? I know that sounds nasty too, but maybe better than digging up an entire floor? Just trying to offer a bit of assistance....:89:

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Edit to Add - given that most here are happy to have permanently dripping faucets and standpipes I suppose my very miniscule leak is nothing to lose sleep over.  

Except when, over time, it turns into Niagra Falls there in the middle of the night?

Sorry... but my experience is that, once you have a small leak, it will eventually become a major leak and a major pain in the ass!!

• Like 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted

I think what tends to happen is piping is re-run on the surface around the leak. I know we had a leak somewhere between tbe kitchen and bathroom and that is exactly what happened.

• Sad 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

I agree, HK... But at least maybe they can determine where the leaks are occurring?

So maybe someone knows they don't have to dig up or excavate their entire wall, but just 50% of it? I know that sounds nasty too, but maybe better than digging up an entire floor? Just trying to offer a bit of assistance....:89:

I appreciate your suggestion, Tom.  It;s just that it's such a minor thing at the moment that it seems better to let sleeping dogs lie (or pipes for that matter).  In our countries, we would go to a plumber, explain the problem and they'd come out and fix the problem.  Here...well, who know what mess you can end up in!  I've just seen too many things here - I live in a new development and have seen 3 or 4 houses built from the ground and some of the workmanship is an absolute joke.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Gary D said:

I think what tends to happen is piping is re-run on the surface around the leak. I know we had a leak somewhere between tbe kitchen and bathroom and that is exactly what happened.

That is what we wanted but they couldn't narrow it down to anything closer than somewhere after our meter and the end of the run!  It would effectively require replumbing the whole house.  

• Sad 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, intrepid said:

Tommy, I wanted to send you a PM but your account will not receive.  Do you have email or another contact method?

6 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

I don't know what to suggest... Maybe one of the moderators can offer a solution?

I've looked at it and it should work now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, hk blues said:

That is what we wanted but they couldn't narrow it down to anything closer than somewhere after our meter and the end of the run!  It would effectively require replumbing the whole house.  

You know, HK... after re-reading the posts in this thread, I think @intrepidhas offered the best advice for me, so far. But, of course, you and others have also given me great suggestions and ideas. Yours and others's woes just cement (another pun intended) the idea that highest quality plumbing - and electrical wiring - needs to be installed right at the get go. So I will be sure to specify - and pay for - the best I can get. To me it's a no-brainer - it may cost, what, P50,000 extra (doubt it) for top quality and best workmanship up front? But it could cost P100,000 plus damage plus stress later? It's cheap insurance.

I will continue to take pictures when electric, cable, internet, plumbing are installed so I can find them again in future, if needed. It costs me nothing to do and is interesting. Plus, if I see anything that seems weird, I can maybe get it corrected straight away, before it is too late or the cement has set?

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

I've looked at it and it should work now.

Thanks JGF it is working now...

• Haha 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Lots of good advice on the subject of pipes.  Also make sure you are on site to do a pressure test prior to the pipes be covered with cement!  A properly doped joint should never start leaking.  What can happen is if a crack developed in the hollow block wall, they often follow the motor joints lines and the crack will open a bit.  If that happens it can crack a pipe buried in the wall. 

On a somewhat related subject.  I have run across electric lines that were laid in a wall slot and then mortared over.  Make sure they put conduit in the wall instead, that way you can run new wire inside the conduit if ever required in the future.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1