Building a Home in Davao

Gary D
Posted
Posted
23 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Hi Gary... Please keep us (or at least me) updated on your home build progress? I am interested to see how it goes with others here... Thanks!

I will, I'll start a new thread so as not to get too comfused.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, Gary D said:

I will, I'll start a new thread so as not to get too comfused.

Excellent and thanks! Please include my name when you do that. I am very interested to see your experience!

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 9/27/2019 at 10:50 AM, jimeve said:

We never had a cement mixer, cement mixed by spades and no electrical tools except when they were welding the roof

Just catching up on this thread.  Great stuff!

When we are ready build I will insist on a mixer, even if I have to pay for it.  You will get a much better, consistent mix.  For large areas, I will get ready-mix.  Mixing by hand is ok for a very small job.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 9/27/2019 at 12:43 PM, Tommy T. said:

I am making sure that all ground floor feed lines will be external - i.e. not embedded in the cement floor.

Can you describe in more detail how your "external" pipes will be?  Not embedded in the walls at all?

jimeve
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Just catching up on this thread.  Great stuff!

When we are ready build I will insist on a mixer, even if I have to pay for it.  You will get a much better, consistent mix.  For large areas, I will get ready-mix.  Mixing by hand is ok for a very small job.

I suggested to the foreman about a mixer, he was not interested. Probably because not much water and small electric.

Not a small house by any means, thinking back I wonder how many man hours where wasted.

Live and learn.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 9/27/2019 at 12:50 PM, intrepid said:

That is how our builder did ours.  However, about the only wat for the upstairs baths was to embed the pipes in the concrete filled block walls.

Same question I asked Tommy.  Are your "external" pipes on the first floor on the exterior of the house or????

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 9/27/2019 at 1:34 PM, JDDavao said:

Isolate your areas with shut-offs if it's not too late. I used to maintain a 100-year old building in Seattle and that experience sold me completely on having a way to isolate the plumbing in various bathrooms and etc.

We have a shutoff that isolates the kitchen and guest bath, another that isolates the patio bath and the bar, and another that isolates the master bath. The architect thought I was crazy but I've had to use them all at one time or another. If you have a leak or other problem that you either can't fix on your own or can't fix right away, you'll be thankful that you can shut off the water in just that problem zone.

I suggest ball valves (with the levers) over gate valves (with the round wheels on top) as the gate valves we have all leak!

I love these new PEX systems they are installing in the U.S.

home-depot-pex-shut-off-valve-crimp-tool-canada-manifold.jpg

https://www.constructionprotips.com/jobsite-tips/plumbing/working-with-pex/

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 9/27/2019 at 1:38 PM, jimeve said:

Another thing is the rainwater pipes, ours are embedded inside the walls. One of the pipes got blocked and have tried to unblock it without success, only thing to do is find where it's blocked and smash the wall.

If I have another house built I would consider having  the pipes outside, they would look a bit ugly but better than having to smash the walls.   

Also, with the rain gutter pipes, install the largest possible.  I replace our 3 inch with 4 inch and they handle all the leaves and stuff quite well.

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 9/27/2019 at 2:01 PM, Tommy T. said:

Jim... before you do that... try pouring a bunch of Joy dishwashing detergent down that pipe. Follow that up with fairly hot water - like too hot to touch, but not enough to boil... It may dislodge whatever rubbish is blocking. You may need to repeat both...

Also, if you have access to the opening and a power washer, you can try and jet it out.  You need a good power washer though.

https://www.amazon.com/JetSnake-Sewer-Jetter-Cleaner-Pressure/dp/B077STYDB9

https://www.lazada.com.ph/products/pressure-washer-drain-ram-sewer-cleaning-nozzle-power-hose-jet-9-jet-38inch-male-intl-i163098492-s200620335.html?ef_id=CjwKCAjw_uDsBRAMEiwAaFiHaxj72or_ppyY83vSqSlCY0jDwGnM-Ejj54LLlSEYBIJro0MrWa2RKBoC24gQAvD_BwE:G:s&s_kwcid=AL!3151!3!244365264139!!!u!293946777986!&exlaz=d_1:mm_150050845_51350205_2010350205::12:1032129542!52512091404!!!pla-293946777986!c!293946777986!200620335!127215854!244365264139&gclid=CjwKCAjw_uDsBRAMEiwAaFiHaxj72or_ppyY83vSqSlCY0jDwGnM-Ejj54LLlSEYBIJro0MrWa2RKBoC24gQAvD_BwE

• Like 1

intrepid
Posted
Posted
On 9/27/2019 at 12:15 PM, intrepid said:

Also the PPR is heat fused together and glued like the blue or pvc/cpvc.

Just noticed I left a word out of that sentence.  It should have read,  "Also the PPR is heat fused together and NOT glued like the blue or pfc/cpvc."

• Like 2