Building a house in Bataan

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)

Gary, in this picture, is the material you used in the eaves wood slats or the "plastic" like material?  I don't know the proper names.  Edit:  Soffit is what I was trying to think of.  Wood or vinyl?

@Gary D

20200128_181654.jpg

Edited by OnMyWay

Gary D
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Gary, in this picture, is the material you used in the eaves wood slats or the "plastic" like material?  I don't know the proper names.  Edit:  Soffit is what I was trying to think of.  Wood or vinyl?

@Gary D

20200128_181654.jpg

I call them sofits but they are known as spandrels. They are a thin 0.4 mm powder coated steel that slot together along their edges.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Looking fantastic, when can I expect to move in? :tongue:

• Haha 2

RBM
Posted
Posted

As an aside I bought what was from my research top of the line laminated joinery from Cebu. They even came down to San Carlos measured and fitted once made. Very expensive.

Within 3 years the corners and edges started to lift. Think due to humidity as the kitchen is well ventilated and has suction fan over oven. Of course the shop not wanta know about......

• Sad 2

jimeve
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, RBM said:

As an aside I bought what was from my research top of the line laminated joinery from Cebu. They even came down to San Carlos measured and fitted once made. Very expensive.

Within 3 years the corners and edges started to lift. Think due to humidity as the kitchen is well ventilated and has suction fan over oven. Of course the shop not wanta know about......

I wonder if MFB would do the same, Eve wants some shelves puting up in the kitchen. Back to Gary's house. Looks good. 

RBM
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, jimeve said:

I wonder if MFB would do the same, Eve wants some shelves puting up in the kitchen. Back to Gary's house. Looks good. 

Can only quote from my experience Jim, my head carpenter opined due to humidity, I did not want typical plywood as termites always issue. Now not sure what is best.....

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
27 minutes ago, jimeve said:

What is MFB? And agreed - Gary's house looks very fine and neat.

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
20 minutes ago, RBM said:

Can only quote from my experience Jim, my head carpenter opined due to humidity, I did not want typical plywood as termites always issue. Now not sure what is best.....

L swears by marine ply manufactured by Santa Clara. It is more expensive than any other plywood here and definitely looks better and seems more dense.

My experience has been to take any plywood or other wood that might be prone to termites and seal it with 2-part epoxy - several coats especially along the edges. The critters might eventually get through it, but it will take a long while and maybe never...

• Like 2

RBM
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

L swears by marine ply manufactured by Santa Clara. It is more expensive than any other plywood here and definitely looks better and seems more dense.

My experience has been to take any plywood or other wood that might be prone to termites and seal it with 2-part epoxy - several coats especially along the edges. The critters might eventually get through it, but it will take a long while and maybe never...

Not eventually but will......

Its very cost effective to use this type of plywood how ever will in time crack and allow moisture in. I once built a small pump boat using Santa Clara Plywood as knew it was the best. Even after using the Pioneer Marine Epoxy it still opened.

Of course the conditions at sea should not be compared to a house kitchen. Still would recommend keeping an eye on it and re painting or sealing at least once a year.

• Love it 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

I would treat it with clear solignum prior to sealing.  I built a large entertainment system using 3/4 marine ply.  As I was building it I noticed a very small hole, at most 1 mm in diameter.  The following day, I noticed a second hole, similar to the first!  I treated it with solignum and saw a small critter try to come crawling out of one of the holes.  No evidence of critters now after three plus years.  Clear solignum, followed by two coats of Hudson Topcoat. :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1