Building a house in Bataan

Gary D
Posted
Posted

It's starting to look like a house now, windows are being measured today and the doors are on order. We decided to get someone in to finish the hips and ridges that knows how to do them, although until they start we won't know if they are just going to bodge them. There seems to be very few real tradesmen here just people who are used to bodge their way along. Unless you move in the right circles all the locals only know and use the usual bodger's.

MVIMG_20191222_173004.jpg

• Like 5

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, Gary D said:

It's starting to look like a house now, windows are being measured today and the doors are on order. We decided to get someone in to finish the hips and ridges that knows how to do them, although until they start we won't know if they are just going to bodge them. There seems to be very few real tradesmen here just people who are used to bodge their way along. Unless you move in the right circles all the locals only know and use the usual bodger's.

In looking at the picture it makes it really clear your concern of the roof caps.  They have the appearance of someone "trying to make it work", it even appears (in the photo at least) to be slightly different color?   The house itself looks great, I really like the layout and roof lines. :thumbsup:

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
55 minutes ago, Gary D said:

It's starting to look like a house now, windows are being measured today and the doors are on order.

It's looking like a very nice and attractive house, Gary - good job!

stevewool
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Gary D said:

This is what I would have liked to build , looks great.

• Like 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, stevewool said:

This is what I would have liked to build , looks great.

I keep telling the neighbours that the big double garage is going to be a new 7-eleven. A garage here is not a concept the locals can deal with, completely alien to them, even a car port is stretching it a bit:89:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Gary D said:

Well it was a bit slow over Christmas as the builders when off for nearly 2 weeks but it's moving on at a pace again. Still can't get the foreman to give advanced warning that he needs something, yesterday I was ferrying back and forth picking up 8 bags of cement at a time because he turned up first thing and decides he needs 15 bags for the day's work. Today he needs the bathroom wall tiles because he can't do the floors because the ceilings are not in yet. That's after we had rushed out and bought 240 60cm x 60cm floor tiles. So today off we went to buy the bathroom tiles. So far we have spent 50 k on just tiles alone. Anyway the ceilings are coming along.

That's great progress, Gary! I will visit our property maybe tomorrow. I have not gone out there for almost two weeks because I know there was not much work being done with many workers away to their home provinces. Thanks for the updates!

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, Gary D said:

Anyway the ceilings are coming along.

That ceiling is going to look great. :thumbsup:

Gary D
Posted
Posted (edited)

It's all happening at a pace now, we were expecting the windows to arrive this coming Saturday and they arrived Wednesday just gone. The tiling is ongoing, one cr has the walls tiled but not grouted. We are off to Dumaguete tomorrow for the week after hearing what a kicking place it is. We have an Airbnb in Sibulan. The ceilings should be finished and tiling well advanced by the time we get back.

MVIMG_20200110_161005.jpg

MVIMG_20200110_161045.jpg

Edited by Gary D
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
Gary D
Posted
Posted

We arrived back from our trip to Dumaguete yesterday and as expected the floor tiles are mostly done, both bathrooms need grouting and one floor needs tiles. The partition in the front apartment has also been started. A big list of materials needs to be sourced today.

MVIMG_20200120_072901.jpg

MVIMG_20200120_072918.jpg

MVIMG_20200120_073011.jpg

MVIMG_20200120_073035.jpg

MVIMG_20200120_073052.jpg

MVIMG_20200120_073103.jpg

• Like 5