Building a house in Bataan

Gary D
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

That's about $1700 USD.  Doesn't seem too bad, all in.  Is that a metal door like you see on storefronts or more of a garage door like we have on houses in the U.S.?

I'm hoping it's like a posh storefront door. I'm also hoping the gear is inside unlike the storefront type which here are usually on the outside. I will be finding out the details before going ahead of course.

RobH
Posted
Posted

We had 2 fitted but I can't remember the cost as it was a while ago. they are wireless electrically operated, they can be operated at 80meters away, galvanised steel,  Painted. 3m wide and 10 feet high. It would take a gorilla to lift them, although there is a chain lift for brown out, the chain is stored on a locked box at the top. Cant fault them, the only slight annoyance is that one of the remotes operates in reverse (down is up, up is down) its because they fitted one in reverse so that the chain lockers are both at the centre. Trying to remember the cost but I cant. They were not that expensive, we had them done at the same time as the electric gates. It was done by a really good guy who does metal and stainless steel fabrications, roofing etc, we use him for a lot of things round the house, that were cocked up by the original builders. The gates are a god send as the gates are 100M away and it stops having to go up and down to open the gates.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, RobH said:

They were not that expensive, we had them done at the same time as the electric gates.

Perhaps this is a bit off topic so I will start a new thread for electric gates.

https://www.philippines-expats.com/topic/31091-electric-gates/

Edited by Tommy T.

Gary D
Posted
Posted

The end of week seven and things are still moving a pace. The steelwork has started a couple of days ago and it's starting to look more like a house. The old store has completely gone but is now awaiting the floor slab but rain has stopped play. Hopefully Monday will see it resume.

MVIMG_20191123_154312.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
Viking
Posted
Posted

Will you insulate the roof/ceiling in some way? Radiation barrier? Rockwool? Attic ventilation?

• Like 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Viking said:

Will you insulate the roof/ceiling in some way? Radiation barrier? Rockwool? Attic ventilation?

The roofer intend to put that double side foil insulation under the roof sheets. I'll see how that works then I may try a few other ways. If I knew it was available I'd probably go for a couple of inches of polystyrene over the ceilings.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Gary D said:

Still moving along nicely. Had a bjt of a problem earlier in the week, the builders were not happy with the roofers cutting and welding above whilst they were trying to apply the finishing to the outside walls. Any we should be off to buy the roofing sheets this week. Something to do whilst this typhoon goes through.

That is still looking really good, Gary. L and I hope you are not seriously affected by the typhoon. Stay safe there!

• 3 weeks later...
Gary D
Posted
Posted

The roof is nearly on and the roofers are fitting the hip covers. We are having the tile effect long span roof and the hips just don't look right. We only have one cap type which they are using for both the ridge and hips but they are have to cut corrigations in the cap to fit the tiles. It just doesn't look nice. Has anyone else used this type of roofing and shouls there be a separate cap type for the hips that is the correct profile.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Gary D said:

The roof is nearly on and the roofers are fitting the hip covers. We are having the tile effect long span roof and the hips just don't look right. We only have one cap type which they are using for both the ridge and hips but they are have to cut corrigations in the cap to fit the tiles. It just doesn't look nice. Has anyone else used this type of roofing and shouls there be a separate cap type for the hips that is the correct profile.

I'm not 100% sure if we're talking about the same thing, but we just had a couple of roofs fitted and it sounds like your contractor did as ours did - cut 'flaps' in the straight edge cover to match the roof profile. Our neighbour had the same contractor but a different ridge tile and they left it straight - ours looks better and will, I think, provide a better protection against rain. It seems like there should be a matching profile but my guess is suppliers provide few variations to keep stocks down and thus tailoring is done by the contractors.