Single with Money = Great Life in the Philippines

Possum
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, hk blues said:

You don't accumulate wealth by giving it away!  If you can buy a Big Mac for $3.50 why would you want to spend $7.00 on the same thing

Quiet true. It's a trade off . $7.00 for Big Mac but you got there on reliable clean public transportation along clean safe streets.

I now happily take the $3.50 Big Mac if 'abailable' ignore the mayhem and admire the low bank account shrinkage.

Wife says that currently there seems to be a shortage of various items at McDonalds. I know this to be true because she called in an order for the kids and I made a rare request, a double cheese burger. Sorry mam, not abailable. HTH does McD run out of freaking cheese burgers?

• Like 1

Peter Magnolia
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

$100 a day for "living the life of Hef" is cheap.  Being single, you will have a lot more expenses than a married man (in the short term).  Keep in mind that almost all of your dates will expect money in some form.  You can pay direct for bar girls or you can treat a girl to dinner, gifts, transportation money, and something for her family.  Nobody rides for free.

For a while you can date girls and give them nothing, but word gets around and eventually you will find yourself looking further and further afield to find girls who have not heard of the cheap foreigner who won't give them anything.

Of course if you wanted to live like a monk, you could get by on a bit less than $100 a day, but prices have definitely gone up from the "good old days" of live like a king on $1000 a month.

Thanks for the reply! It's got to be cheaper than Rio where everyone wanted a piece of me for taking a girl home. Looking forward to my trip next year! One more question if you don't mind. It is showing you living in Iloilo. Any particular reason why you chose to live there? And ignore the sour grapes. One of the greatest rewards of having abundant resources is being able to flaunt it a little. You gave nothing away of significance. 

Peter Magnolia
Posted
Posted
On 2/13/2020 at 4:28 AM, Arizona Kid said:

Can I move in with you? I won't be able to party much. I'm 67 now. I'll party with you but I usually go to bed around 9 pm. Let me know.:7500:

Why is it that guys with as much money as you do don't seem to know how to spend it? Hawaii? Puleeese!

Peter Magnolia
Posted
Posted
On 2/12/2020 at 10:48 PM, manofthecoldland said:

A change of heart, perhaps ?  Who hasn't succumbed to that on occasion.

A 'total eclipse of the heart', and mind as well is another thing altogether.  I used it think it mainly affected youth, but here in the PI it seems to afflict any single retiree who is a man of independent means, despite age.

Filipina Fever is not yet recognized by the medical establishment, but it appears to exist.  

When you contract this seemingly benign malady, you are unaware of how irrational your behavior  appears to others in your home culture. Your desires and idealized projections of the fantasized future that awaits you overrides your normal wariness and self-protection defense mechanisms. You're now willing to take a blind Lovers Leap off a cliff with little assurance of where you will land.  

If lucky.... deep, sweet water. If unlucky...... ragged rocks of splintered, black obsidian. 

Your friends yell warnings. but you have a true-believer's faith in your judgement. You are 'The Exception'. Your situation is unique. You are smarter than and quite different from those who have leaped before you.

Here goes........"Geranimo-oooooo"   

( A loud 'SPLASH ! ', or 'SPLAAAT  ! ' follows)

If you find yourself swimming amidst tropical fish keep an eye out for the families of sharks and cruising barracuda that abound. You are only a feeding opportunity for them in this amoral part of sea where their individual survival is the Primary Rule. 

Me ???  I'm still swimming with small bits and pieces missing now,  a few other memorable bite scars, but pretty much intact.  I've been lucky... so far. But I know more lads that hit the rocks or got eaten by the sharks than those that emerged unscathed.  

Tropical waters can be quite deceptive.  Alluringly idyllic, they are not an Eden of predominately harmless and beautiful creatures that seemingly abound.  

"Hello, my Pretty ......   Ouch !    I can't believe I got stung again. 

When will I ever learn ? 

:umbrella_80_anim_gif:

So very well said! I took a leap of faith in Thailand 10 years ago and got married after knowing the young lady for only two weeks. She has been enormous fun but mixed in with all of that it was a mighty rough ride. I've got a tiger by the tail is what I've got! I was right about one thing that I realized in a very short time. "There's something wrong with this one!" I say that with the utmost affection however, I could have done things differently. I could have done things cheaper. If only I had listened to those in the know. She's home now with a business and kids who are better off than they would have been if Daddy Peter hadn't come into their lives. Now I'm looking forward to visiting the PI which is where I was on my way to when I decided to make a brief stop in Thailand! Somebody stop me!

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Peter Magnolia said:

It is showing you living in Iloilo. Any particular reason why you chose to live there?

First, we have to remember that all these posts were made a few years ago, but second, it isn't me living in Iloilo.  That has not been on my list of places to check out.

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Peter Magnolia said:

Somebody stop me!

k

HIV cases alarm Cebu City

The total number of HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) cases in Central Visayas for the period January to May 2022 reached 8,407, of which 4,993 or 59 percent came from Cebu City. In the first five months of this year, 5,974 new cases were reported in the country...with .male-female sex, 11 percent (660 cases). - https://ph.news.yahoo.com/hiv-cases-alarm-cebu-city-044500632.html

• Sad 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
On 11/30/2022 at 1:09 PM, Greglm said:

Quiet true. It's a trade off . $7.00 for Big Mac but you got there on reliable clean public transportation along clean safe streets.

I now happily take the $3.50 Big Mac if 'abailable' ignore the mayhem and admire the low bank account shrinkage.

Wife says that currently there seems to be a shortage of various items at McDonalds. I know this to be true because she called in an order for the kids and I made a rare request, a double cheese burger. Sorry mam, not abailable. HTH does McD run out of freaking cheese burgers?

Ref. you last para. - check out the Out of Stock thread for my comments on this!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, Peter Magnolia said:

Why is it that guys with as much money as you do don't seem to know how to spend it? Hawaii? Puleeese!

If they knew how to spend it they'd not have it!  

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted
On 11/29/2022 at 8:09 PM, Greglm said:

Not unusual here at'all. In my provincial capital, the McD has at different times run out of buns.  Also coffee one time. I am never surprised and just go with it. Not a big deal, here, anywhere you go and with anything you wish to procure. Ho-hum, so it goes.

Gator
Posted
Posted

Not out of stock per se, but I can’t tell you how many times I’ve gone into multiple 7/11 stores to use the bill pay kiosk only to find a sign on it saying “offline”. In a few instances the kiosk wasn’t even connected to anything!