Single with Money = Great Life in the Philippines

• 2 weeks later...
bows00
Posted
Posted
On 1/29/2020 at 12:39 PM, Mike J said:

Before marriage all your "significant other" needs to know is that you are capable of supporting her. 

That is obvious.  My dilemma is once the priest says you are now ONE...  After marriage, how do you approach this?  I do have a girl in mind.   But I'm not sure she could handle my financial situation if I disclosed it honestly.  And I know it has to be eventually discussed.  There are always problems associated with money, even in abundance.  Maybe this forum is not the best source of solutions...

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
40 minutes ago, bows00 said:

Maybe this forum is not the best source of solutions...

Perhaps you are right. :whistling:

• Like 3

stevewool
Posted
Posted
43 minutes ago, bows00 said:

That is obvious.  My dilemma is once the priest says you are now ONE...  After marriage, how do you approach this?  I do have a girl in mind.   But I'm not sure she could handle my financial situation if I disclosed it honestly.  And I know it has to be eventually discussed.  There are always problems associated with money, even in abundance.  Maybe this forum is not the best source of solutions...

Do you have to get married, these days it’s supposed to be just as much fun as being married then not being married  , you could then just go about living as you are now but with a regular girlfriend / partner and not having to tell her all about your cash,, plus if she or you turn out wrong for each other then it’s just goodbye it was fun.

Gator
Posted
Posted

To me the issue isn’t so much whether you can trust your wife or even if she’ll understand how to manage wealth. It’s as Mike J pointed out - who’s she going gossip to and/or brag to about it? We all know the story about telling 2 friends who then tell 2 friends and so on. Sooner or later someone with criminal intent will find out and the potential for being scammed, set up, stolen from or out right being kidnapped for what you worked hard to attain is far too great for me.

IMHO it’s best to keep quiet about it and keep the target we all wear on our backs as small as possible. I don’t even disclose the real amount of rent I pay to any of the locals I meet. And I certainly wouldn’t disclose my financial worth (not that’s is much, lol). I plan to stay single as I enjoy the freedom it gives me and I enjoy “playing the field”. Even if I should find a gf for a LTR, I wouldn’t get into personal financial matters other then I have enough to support myself and, to a limited degree, help/support her if needed. 

• Like 5
  • Hmm thinking 1

graham59
Posted
Posted

'Single with Money = Great Life in the Philippines'

I only wish somebody had told me that before I got married !  :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

• Haha 3