Retirement visa

Mick
Posted
Posted

Quick question, I'm not retired..... I have just bought a condo, and it was mentioned to me I can apply for a retirement visa now.... Anyone done this, and any down side? 

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
52 minutes ago, Mick said:

Quick question, I'm not retired..... I have just bought a condo, and it was mentioned to me I can apply for a retirement visa now.... Anyone done this, and any down side? 

Yes, Mick... I got one last year.

It requires a time deposit of US $10,000. That's the only down side I have found. Or you can sometimes apply the value of your condo  for the deposit. It took some running around but not really all that difficult.

• Like 1

Mick
Posted
Posted

Hi Tommy, yes that's what they said, now my name is on the title of the condo no money required, but I never belive them in the BI office 

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Mick said:

Hi Tommy, yes that's what they said, now my name is on the title of the condo no money required, but I never belive them in the BI office 

Well, that's the good part. You won't be dealing at all with BI - only PRA - Philippine Retirement Authority. At least here in Davao, they were very professional and helpful. They were very patient with my dozens of ongoing questions.

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

If they work the same in your area as they did here, they will supply with a handout listing all your requirements. The toughest part for me was having to go to the US embassy in Manila so an American notary there could notarize a USA letter from the state police of my last state of residence showing I had no criminal record. I obtained the letter online easily.

Then I had to take that notarized letter to the Department of Foreign Affairs (how did they know I was having one? joke) for their Red Ribbon Certification. So I had to spend two days in Manila to deal with those things... The rest was just running around a bit for their joke of a physical exam...

Gary D
Posted
Posted

I think you have to lodge the deposit  before you  buy the condo, after is too late.

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)

If you're ex-military from an "allied" country the deposit is only 2000USD.  NATO, Australia and NZ all qualify.

Edited by BrettGC

Gary D
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, BrettGC said:

If you're ex-military from an "allied" country the deposit is only 2000USD.  NATO Australia and NZ all qualify.

$1500

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Gary D said:

$1500

Happy to be wrong on this.

Mick not sure of your circumstances but if you're married to a Filipina 13a visa is an option.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

If they work the same in your area as they did here, they will supply with a handout listing all your requirements. The toughest part for me was having to go to the US embassy in Manila so an American notary there could notarize a USA letter from the state police of my last state of residence showing I had no criminal record. I obtained the letter online easily.

Then I had to take that notarized letter to the Department of Foreign Affairs (how did they know I was having one? joke) for their Red Ribbon Certification. So I had to spend two days in Manila to deal with those things... The rest was just running around a bit for their joke of a physical exam...

I think you can do the U.S. Notary online now.

The Red Ribbon can be done at other DFAs too.

I have not done either but I think this is true.  Planning to try an online U.S. Notary soon.