Retirement visa

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, hk blues said:

Out of interest, when do you get the $10,000 deposit back, or does it have to be retained in the bank here as long as you wish to have the visa?  

@Gary Dis totally correct. Although a person might be able to get it back if he can offer an alternative investment that fulfills their requirements. I still need to look further into that.

And for me, the main benefit is that I don't deal at all with BI any more - not for departures, arrivals, nothing. I really hate the pre-departure fingerprinting, photo taking and hassles. Also, no more hassles at foreign airports about having an ongoing ticket when I am returning to Philippines.

PRA here is a joy to deal with - friendly, helpful, no lines, no waiting. They even host at least two parties every year - a bit stiff and too loud, but "free" buffet meals, entertainment and a chance to meet some other ex-pats...

As I said before, not for everyone, but really a good thing for me. I will keep it even when I eventually marry my Filipina girl...

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 4

RBM
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Viking said:

From my understanding, the annual fee of 360 $, is or more or less the same amount you pay for staying on Tourist visa for a year. Of course it is a benefit not needing to visit the BI so often.

I Think it is great that they have SRRV, but as Tommy said it is not for everyone. 

Yes this is one of the reasons some are cashing PRA in. Its now simple to obtain a 6 month tourist visa and not have to tie up a considerable amount of cash.

if staying under a year the exit clearance can be done in the airport without hassle. Even doing it in a main BI office its pretty straight forward, just a matter of having your papers in order. The A C I card again is simple and once a year.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, RBM said:

Yes this is one of the reasons some are cashing PRA in. Its now simple to obtain a 6 month tourist visa and not have to tie up a considerable amount of cash.

if staying under a year the exit clearance can be done in the airport without hassle. Even doing it in a main BI office its pretty straight forward, just a matter of having your papers in order. The A C I card again is simple and once a year.

What you say is correct, RBM. However, I had a problem a year ago, before I had the SRRV.

I traveled to Taiwan for a while. When trying to return to Philippines, I was stopped at the airport because I did not have a long term visa. I presented my ARC and it was out of date. I had a current 6 month visa, but BI did not have cards available when last I renewed my 6 month tourist visa and the airline person (and I called in her stupidvisor) would not allow me to go without showing evidence of an ongoing flight... S**t! So I sat down with my cell phone and bought another ticket from Philippines to somewhere...don't even remember where.

I presented the proof of the ongoing flight and was then able to board my flight. That was the moment I decided to definitely get a long term visa.

Some of it is a problem with the airlines not knowing - or maybe even caring - about visa rules in Philippines. They apparently are unaware that Americans and others can keep getting tourist visas time after time. They have probably been stung a few times by "tourists" who overstayed and then flew back and then had to be returned to the original airport on their nickel? Whatever the issue, the SRRV solved that for me, so I am happy and grateful and know that I have that small nest egg available if I ever need or desire to finally depart Philippines...hopefully alive!

• Like 5

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, Viking said:

From my understanding, the annual fee of 360 $, is or more or less the same amount you pay for staying on Tourist visa for a year. Of course it is a benefit not needing to visit the BI so often.

I Think it is great that they have SRRV, but as Tommy said it is not for everyone. 

I agree. I was just thinking about my own situation. I don't travel so it works for me.

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, RBM said:

f staying under a year the exit clearance can be done in the airport without hassle. Even doing it in a main BI office its pretty straight forward, just a matter of having your papers in order. The A C I card again is simple and once a year.

Unless you have the same first and last name as some @ss@ole wanted in connection with a homicide. :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

RBM
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mike J said:

Unless you have the same first and last name as some @ss@ole wanted in connection with a homicide. :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

That would be rare but not impossible, my concern is more the little man whom is required to clear your ECC at airport is not around. I have not done it at airport how ever know many whom have without problem.

If I am traveling alone will do it but not when with my partner as would really screw things up if a problem.

earthdome
Posted
Posted
On 2/17/2020 at 3:18 AM, Arizona Kid said:

For US military retirees it's a great deal. Prove that you get at least 1,000 per month in pay and you're good to go. The Application fee of US$ 1,500 and the processing fee of US$ 1,400 pus the annual fee of US$ 350.00 . Never have to leave the country unless you want to. The amount of money you save from having to update the tourist visa is obvious. :ohmy:

I thought the annual fee was also reduced for qualified military retiree's for the SRRV. Something like $30 or $40 annual fee.

• Like 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, earthdome said:

I thought the annual fee was also reduced for qualified military retiree's for the SRRV. Something like $30 or $40 annual fee.

Yes. I'm most likely wrong about that.

strap
Posted
Posted

And everything I've read, other than the PRA website of course, seems to indicate that the $1500 SRRV is available to not just military retirees, but also to military veterans (non-retired).