Asawa Ko Issues - The Novela

Eddie1
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, GeoffH said:

If we all always agreed with each other then this place would be boring...

So you wont mind me disagreeing with you on this occasion then?   AK is nothing short of bad mannered and ignorant, hope the door hits him hard on the way out.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
32 minutes ago, Eddie1 said:

So you wont mind me disagreeing with you on this occasion then?   

*shrug* no skin off my back

• Haha 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Eddie1 said:

So you wont mind me disagreeing with you on this occasion then?   AK is nothing short of bad mannered and ignorant, hope the door hits him hard on the way out.  

Sticks and stones..You forgot to mention that I am uncouth, opinionated, and generally just a bad guy. My family and true friends might disagree with you though.:56da64b64cbd8_36_6_31:

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, hk blues said:

I do get it. But, I also do not agree that blanket statements that death would be a better alternative to life in a state facility are reasonable.

I 100% disagree with you. The public is not normally invited into the facilities for good reason. Under staffed and under paid employees scramble to keep up with way too many "Patients" If you could witness what I saw on the second floor of the place I had to go to 2 times per month for pest control..you might change your opinion. The smell and the old people that don't even know who they are anymore crapping in their bed and whatever clothes they are wearing. That's not living..it's waiting to die. If your religious beliefs approve of that, I want no part of it.

End of rant.:wink: 

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, GeoffH said:

I mostly enjoy your posts AK even if I don't always agree with them, consider my comment a vote for staying ( a -1 ).

If we all always agreed with each other then this place would be boring...

Thanks for the support. I think we might have close to the same type of likable humor.:Happy:

• Haha 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted
On 2/22/2020 at 8:56 PM, Arizona Kid said:

Since I seem to be so reviled on this group..even though I stay within the rules and guidelines:

If I get 10 PM's within the next 24 hours requesting that I leave the group. I will do so. :SugarwareZ-034:

Really!

So come on then tell us how many did you get , but if we don’t hear from you that means you got more then the 10 required , it was nice knowing you ,Really 

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Guy F.
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, hk blues said:

I do get it. But, I also do not agree that blanket statements that death would be a better alternative to life in a state facility are reasonable.

Obviously you have not seen nursing homes in the US. Some are merely unpleasant. Most are hell on earth. I hope I have the guts to end my life before I end up in a nursing home. Being in the Philippines in old age would be a far more tolerable experience.

• Like 2
  • Love it 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
On 2/22/2020 at 8:56 PM, Arizona Kid said:

Since I seem to be so reviled on this group..even though I stay within the rules and guidelines:

If I get 10 PM's within the next 24 hours requesting that I leave the group. I will do so. :SugarwareZ-034:

Really!

Just put on your "Big Girl Panties" and deal with it.  See how I did that with humor. :tongue:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted
22 hours ago, Arizona Kid said:

I 100% disagree with you. The public is not normally invited into the facilities for good reason. Under staffed and under paid employees scramble to keep up with way too many "Patients" If you could witness what I saw on the second floor of the place I had to go to 2 times per month for pest control..you might change your opinion. The smell and the old people that don't even know who they are anymore crapping in their bed and whatever clothes they are wearing. That's not living..it's waiting to die. If your religious beliefs approve of that, I want no part of it.

End of rant.:wink: 

Your experience is not my experience - I have had various relatives in long-stay residential care over a number of years and what you describe is nothing like what I experienced.  Why are you bringing religion into this - I have no religious beliefs and have never expressed any on this forum - muddying the waters if you ask me.  

Please don't continue to extrapolate what may happen in the USA and assume that's the case in my country or indeed any other countries.  

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Guy F. said:

Obviously you have not seen nursing homes in the US. Some are merely unpleasant. Most are hell on earth. I hope I have the guts to end my life before I end up in a nursing home. Being in the Philippines in old age would be a far more tolerable experience.

I don't think it is salient nor fair to compare nursing homes from different countries. So I agree with you there, HK. But AK was also referring to his experience only in a US nursing home, not your home country or any other country.

There are so many variables. Plus then one must define if they are publicly funded, privately funded and then what levels of care are offered and their location.

I have had relatives in three kinds of long term care. One was almost like a country club with minimal but professional care. Long term health insurance paid most of the bills and the patient was in reasonable health but disabled.

Another was called "assisted care" with the individuals living in separate apartments but nurses were on staff to assist as required. At a certain point the patient's status was upgraded to help with more personal needs due to dementia onset. - forgetting to take meds, to go to eat and on and on. This one was also paid for mostly by long term health care insurance and investments.

The third one was strictly public health. It was not unlike the hospital I just visited a week and a half ago that was appalling inside. It was like what Guy F and AK described - the smells, sounds, people barely alive and "living?" in their own filth. It saddened and frightened me to my core. I would not want to live like that. Oh... these were all in USA near Chicago.

But you are also right HK a blanket statement doesn't work for this either. It is all so subjective - like the "Catch-22." By the time you might reach such a stage, the choice might not be yours to make.

However there is another possible solution, at least in USA. I forget the name of it, but it was either the living will or some other term. Long time ago I dealt with this once. A person can authorized another - usually a close relative - to make decisions regarding future care of the individual if or when that person is deemed incapable of doing that his or herself. It can have pitfalls too - if big money is involved? Family feuds? Jealousies? Yet another time I don't really have the answer.

But, I repeat, I could not live like that and, as the time for my inevitable demise approaches, will try to deal with it my way somehow...

Even with all my blathering along, I didn't even complete my thought... I would rather have personal, family care here in the PI than institutional care in USA. My father acted as my Mom's nurse for a few years and did a helluva good job and I was so proud of him. Even if not so professional, the personal nature of that care more than made up for it.He kept her comfortable. When he needed extra help, he would - rarely - call in a professional or take her to a hospital or care giver for the particular incidents...

Edited by Tommy T.
complete my thought
  • Like 3