Asawa Ko Issues - The Novela

fillipino_wannabe
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

In the U.S., people tend to not take care of their elderly family, except with some money.  Much different than the Philippines and other Asian countries where elderly get more respect.

More like they can't afford proper care in the Philippines. My gran has dementia in the UK diagnosed about 6 years ago, lives in a nice home for $6k per month, takes her dog for walks, sits with her friends all day & goes out for day trips.
Wifes mum has dementia here, diagnosed about 4 years ago. Lives with her husband. Shits all round the house, starts screaming 4-5 times per day. Can't leave the house atall now as she starts going crazy or tries to run away.

I know which one I'd choose:biggrin:

• Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Arizona Kid said:

If I get 10 PM's within the next 24 hours requesting that I leave the group. I will do so. :SugarwareZ-034:

Really!

I mostly enjoy your posts AK even if I don't always agree with them, consider my comment a vote for staying ( a -1 ).

If we all always agreed with each other then this place would be boring...

• Like 2
  • Love it 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, GeoffH said:

I mostly enjoy your posts AK even if I don't always agree with them, consider my comment a vote for staying ( a -1 ).

If we all always agreed with each other then this place would be boring...

Yes I agree with you, we need the grumpy old git around , he sometimes has a good thing to say, yes late usually but he has my vote of stay.

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Arizona Kid said:

Since I seem to be so reviled on this group..even though I stay within the rules and guidelines:

If I get 10 PM's within the next 24 hours requesting that I leave the group. I will do so. :SugarwareZ-034:

Really!

AK, not you are not reviled.  Most of your posts are fine.  Once in a while, you post something out of the blue that is very caustic and/or unwarranted.  My opinion matters little, but that is what I see.  On this particular topic, it appeared that you did not read the whole story and then attacked him for getting disability that was paid for through Social Security?  I get Social Security which I paid into for 40+ years.  Am I a freeloader too?  Like many other Americans, it pisses me off when politicians call SS and SSDI entitlement programs, when they are funded by the citizens and their employers.

In any case, you are a vet, and I respect all vets, regardless of any other factors.  I thank you for your service and sacrifice for our country.

• Like 4

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

AK, not you are not reviled.  Most of your posts are fine.  Once in a while, you post something out of the blue that is very caustic and/or unwarranted.  My opinion matters little, but that is what I see.  On this particular topic, it appeared that you did not read the whole story and then attacked him for getting disability that was paid for through Social Security?  I get Social Security which I paid into for 40+ years.  Am I a freeloader too?  Like many other Americans, it pisses me off when politicians call SS and SSDI entitlement programs, when they are funded by the citizens and their employers.

In any case, you are a vet, and I respect all vets, regardless of any other factors.  I thank you for your service and sacrifice for our country.

I echo your remarks OMW. Very well stated and complete. That's my vote, for what it's worth.

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, GeoffH said:

I suspect it is more about the quality of life for the person rather than the quality of the intitution, the example I gave was a middle class to upper middle class private aged care facility (the ex's father paid a lump sum of almost $300,000 for access and a substantial weekly fee) and yet despite all the knowledge, all the facilities and good will on behalf of the staff nothing could be done for the woman I chose as an example (or many others in similar situations).  The only reason I knew of her situation was only recently had she been deemed in need of 2nd level high care and was going to be shifted soon to a closed upper floor ward where every patient was in as bad a condition or perhaps worse than her.

It would be my personal wish, if I was in that situation, to be either drugged into insensibility most of the day (except for feeding/cleaning) or to be able to access euthanasia.  Of course even in places where it's available it's normally restricted in such a way that a patient in that condition wouldn't qualifty/

My home state of Victoria has euthanasia laws but you need to be of sound mind and able to express your will on the matter as a first step and by the time you're like that woman your mind is far past that state.  And before you get to that state you wouldn't qualify because you're not sick enough.  Catch 22.

It used to be the case that patients in such situations were regularly heavily sedated but do gooders (with the best of intentions) convinced governments to change the law, and that was a mistake in my book.

I do get it. But, I also do not agree that blanket statements that death would be a better alternative to life in a state facility are reasonable.

• Sad 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, Arizona Kid said:

I understand. The truth hurts. Families used to take care of family members that were having a hard time. Now they want the Government to do the job for them. Out of sight..out of mind. Can't bite my tongue when I can see how people take advantage of the system. :unsure: 

I think you're harking back to the good old days that never really existed. Yes, family members did do more than they do now, but there are so many reasons for that - I'd imagine dependence on government is far down the list.

Nobody likes a leech, but let's not assume everybody using the system is one.

Gary D
Posted
Posted

Usually family looking after family is an extended family view which is becoming outdated in our modern world. It's still prevent in the poorer world were there are fewer or the only option.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Arizona Kid said:

Since I seem to be so reviled on this group..even though I stay within the rules and guidelines:

Really!

Come on AK - you're a big boy and more than capable of giving it so also be willing to take it too. If you're not, then stop contributing - we don't need a popularity poll, do we?

• Haha 2

stevewool
Posted
Posted

I recon it’s a ploy , to see if he still has any mates , he wants 10 personal messages to say go, but I bet the ten folk who would send these messages have put him on there ignore list , so they won’t see his message, he’s onto a winner .

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Hmm thinking 1