Have you figured it out yet?

Explorer
Posted
Posted
48 minutes ago, hk blues said:

My concern here is that there is never a middle ground - it either has to be all or nothing so the possibility of having a loosening of the lockdown rules may not exist.  In addition,  I have began to see some concerning things i.e. the nearest 7/11 now closed, the supermarket no longer accepting bill payments, the Globe Engineeer saying it's becoming difficult to get into some subdivisions for repair, more bank branches remaining closed etc. I worry that things are beginning to come apart at the seams, albeit slowly.  

While in the west they are talking about "flattening the curve" and waiting for the warmer weather to open up the economy, here in central visayas, we are not seeing any curve, actually no deaths recorded for the last 10 days, 8 deaths recorded in total, which is around 0.0000011 of the population, mostly people in their 70's and 80's with co-morbidity. The weather is so hot here, especially when they force you to put a face mask on (designed for crowded places) while walking in the deserted Cebu streets...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)

Not sure where to post this one but maybe this topic is okay? (Sorry Mods... please feel free to move it if there is a more appropriate one I should have used?)

Yet another article I found today while cruising around online. I am really wondering if the "powers that be" will figure it out? To me there is overwhelming evidence that, if rather draconian measures are not taken, the virus will continue to spread without a break. In addition to some statistics and comment cited in this article, today I also read that new cases have already started climbing in China again - apparently brought in by people travelling from other countries.

I am well aware, as previously discussed, that statistics can be bent to one's own argument, but some of these cannot be disputed. Every time someone like this governor decides to not take action, the s*** hits the fan. Let down your guard and it whacks you in the head. I am starting to think that a lot of powerful people are looking strictly at current economics and not long term economics or short or long term health.

We shall see. Anyway that is my diatribe for today and here's an excerpt from this article followed by the link:

>As governors across the country fell into line in recent weeks, South Dakota’s top elected leader stood firm: There would be no statewide order to stay home.

Such edicts to combat the spread of the novel coronavirus, Gov. Kristi L. Noem said disparagingly, reflected a “herd mentality.” It was up to individuals — not government — to decide whether “to exercise their right to work, to worship and to play. Or to even stay at home.”

And besides, the first-term Republican told reporters at a briefing this month, “South Dakota is not New York City.”

But now South Dakota is home to one of the largest single coronavirus clusters anywhere in the United States, with more than 300 workers at a giant ­pork-processing plant falling ill. With the case numbers continuing to spike, the company was forced to announce the indefinite closure of the facility Sunday, threatening the U.S. food supply.

Increasingly exasperated local leaders, public health experts and front-line medical workers begged Noem to intervene Monday with a more aggressive state response.<

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/south-dakotas-governor-resisted-ordering-people-to-stay-home-now-it-has-one-of-the-nations-largest-coronavirus-hot-spots/ar-BB12zTcc?li=BBnb7Kz

I think a more appropriate term to call these is clusterf***s.

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Sad 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)

I cannot agree strongly enough with you Tommy, unless strict and strong action around social distancing is in place and either enforced or obeyed by at least 80% (and preferably 90%) of the population then the number of cases will continue to grow exponentially (albeit at different rates of increase) until such time as so many of the population are infected and have recovered that herd immunity starts to have an effect.

And the end result of such a herd immunity approach is going to be a huge number of deaths, deaths that in most cases would not have happened (or at least not have happened so soon).

A third world country in Africa with an almost non-existent health system can expect that to happen, even a middle income or developing country like the Philippines will struggle to avoid it but a first world country should have systems in place to strongly mitigate the effects.

Failure to take strong regulatory action is tantamount to criminal negligence in my opinion and I can only hope that those politicians that put their short term interest before the health of their constituents end up facing charges at some later time (not that that will stop the unnecessary deaths nor will it be of much comfort to the families).

Edited by GeoffH
  • Love it 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

But most bills can be paid through a Philippines bank account so no need to go anywhere. Online banking and ATMs are working fine in my area. Here are a few other ways to paybills.

https://www.moneymax.ph/personal-finance/articles/pay-bills-online . 

Many bills can be paid online but not all - my electric bill, water bill and Philhealth for example cannot.  Actually, that only leaves my internet and cable TV that can. 

I have had no issue using ATMs but that's not the point - my neighbour wanted to pay his car loan and the bank was closed.  

My point is that it's a fluid situation and everything is not as it was 3 weeks ago.  

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, hk blues said:

- my neighbour wanted to pay his car loan and the bank was closed.  

:89: How Odd HK. I would have thought Car loans would be Direct Debit/ Standing order ( something I would have thought the Bank would insist on) But....................

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

:89: How Odd HK. I would have thought Car loans would be Direct Debit/ Standing order ( something I would have thought the Bank would insist on) But....................

Indeed Jack,  but as always here the story is perhaps not as simple as it seems.  The car is in the seaman son's name so i suspect the DD/SO is from his account and the family who use the car pay the money into his account monthly.  That's my (un)educated guess.  

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Indeed Jack,  but as always here the story is perhaps not as simple as it seems.

:thumbsup: Is it ever?

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

:thumbsup: Is it ever?

Rarely. Seldom. Actually, never! :wink:

• Haha 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, hk blues said:

My concern here is that there is never a middle ground - it either has to be all or nothing so the possibility of having a loosening of the lockdown rules may not exist.  In addition,  I have began to see some concerning things i.e. the nearest 7/11 now closed, the supermarket no longer accepting bill payments, the Globe Engineeer saying it's becoming difficult to get into some subdivisions for repair, more bank branches remaining closed etc. I worry that things are beginning to come apart at the seams, albeit slowly.  

I worry about the same things. Not so much for me, but for my GF and 14 yr. old son. I've had a good life and if I go because of this, all I can do is accept it.

Took a ride in the car today about an hour ago. Jollibee and Mcdo closed. Savemore closed. Mercury drugs open but not much on the shelves. Puregold still open. Chooks and Baliwag Lechon Manak still open. And supposedly we have at least another 15 days to go on the lockdown. And even that might not be true. 

• Sad 1

AusExpat
Posted
Posted (edited)

President President said in his latest presser that they might even be able to start reopening the economy ahead of schedule, so maybe before the April 30 date currently set? And where the US goes most countries seem to follow.

Either way it seems the previous 18 month predictions are not going to happen.

Edited by AusExpat

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic