The simple life

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, peterfe said:

ust 100 metres from the main road here, farming families continue to pick their vegetables, move their animals, walk around freely and nobody wears masks. They don't care if the malls are closed, they never go there anyway, probably hardly ever to a supermarket either. It's not a bad life, I've lived like that myself - no AC, no TV, no internet, just occasionally listen to the news on the radio, but it's usually quite irrelevant.

Although they may live a more simple life, the lockdown has impacted many farmers.  Most sell the majority of their crop to provide income, and right now, sometimes that is difficult.  In Benguet, I saw pictures of carrots being dumped because the farmers couldn't move them out in the usual volumes.  Hopefully the farmers are fine, but they still get hit in the pocketbook.  Those who experience this might be reluctant to plant a normal sized crop.

Odd thing is, right now here in the Freeport we are getting better veggies than we normally get because some people have set up supply chains that are better than our normal ones.  We are isolated in the freeport.  If we leave, we are not allowed to come back.  So local gov has set up special ways for us to get food.  We can get fresh veggies, eggs, etc., delivered.  Yes, prices are higher but reasonable.  We also have drive through fresh veggies 3 times a week.  Today we have fresh seafood being brought to our high school and it will be drive through.  Getting our of car is not allowed.  Hand them your order and they bring it to your car.

• Like 2

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Gas said:

Sounds almost idyllic until something goes wrong and these families look to their relatives in the city or abroad for money.

Like much of the world - the money is in the cities.

I live out in the boonies and am always in the city for fun. I am a city boy, and hate country living. Way too damn loud, too. The farther from the city... the louder it gets. My wife would rather be up the mountain, very remote. So we settled on 20 km from the city. Boring enough for her, but close enough to the city for me ha ha

During the lockdown she has realized it would be better in the city. The shopping out here is very limited (and only 8 miles from the city?). She said after the lockdown lifts, she wants to move back to the city. No argument from me :tiphat: 

• Like 1

fillipino_wannabe
Posted
Posted

All good fun until someone needs to go to the hospital and then they just die because the family can't afford 20k pesos.

• Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

Every morning when I wake up, I consider a victory!

• Haha 1

graham59
Posted
Posted
22 hours ago, Gas said:

Sounds almost idyllic until something goes wrong and these families look to their relatives in the city or abroad for money.

It appears you have misunderstood the 'family' system in the Phils.

Family members take care of one another whenever possible, rather than being selfish.  

• Like 3

Clermont
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Kuya John said:

Now that I can afford the simple comforts we all take for granted, the very thing we strived for, money, has no value unless you are fit enough to enjoy it.

I hear what you say, how many of us have worked hard all our lives and when we retire we are still trying to hoard our money for that rainy day. :umbrella_80_anim_gif:Most of us are on pensions a guaranteed source of income, so why are we still trying to hoard what we get?  And Kuya John you are right, money's not worth anything if you haven't got good health. :thumbsup:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

graham59
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Every morning when I wake up, I consider a victory!

Likewise mate. :laugh:

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, graham59 said:

Family members take care of one another whenever possible, rather than being selfish.  

Some do , others stand in the background knowing others  will come forward, 

I must add this is from my own experience.

• Like 1
  • Love it 1
  • Sad 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, stevewool said:

Some do , others stand in the background knowing others  will come forward, 

Yup... Seen that.

• Like 1

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic