Why live in the Philippines?

Heeb
Posted
Posted
53 minutes ago, Old55 said:

All true except the sweating part. It's been darn hot the past two days!!! 

I live on the dry side, 90 degrees here feels like 75 in the Philippines, not much humidity at all and the temperature drops into the 50’s at night but winter is a bear.

• Like 2
  • Love it 1

Ozapriliaguy
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, RBM said:

Thats tough, one of the reason we moved from a city I loved and built a house was dogs so sure can sympathize here. Its just not possible reason with the owners from my experience.  As for container trucks and diesel, sounds just as bad and sure not good for ones health. 

Members  whom live in semi protected areas would have problems to understand this, most on this forum certainly would appreciate your situation.  At least your spared the dreaded Karaoke.

Thanks for the commiserations mate, but I'm not spared the Karoake - because the squatters over the back of my wall don't work, they have Karoake every weekend, usually all day both days. 

• Like 2

Austman
Posted
Posted
On 7/16/2020 at 9:50 AM, Ozapriliaguy said:

I have never lived in any other Asian country. I came to the Phils during the recession in 2008/09. Met a girl and decided to come back to give living here a trial - like you intend - before permanently moving here. In 2010 I came here for 5 months and decidied that, yeah - I could live here.

So, I sold up everything and moved here in 2011. Visiting somewhere and staying even for a few months is VERY different from living in the same place day in, day out. Getting close to 10 years here and I'm about ready to go back to the First World. Nothing here works, not the electricity, not the water, not the people, not the government. 

There are some things that are cheaper than the West. Car/motorbike registration, cigarettes, spirits, and water for example, but not much else. Power costs the same as Oz, as does fuel. All electrical items are more expensive and poor quality. Nothing in the country is built to last. 

Unless you want to live on dried fish and rice, maintaining a Western diet will be expensive as everything is imported. Don't believe the fallacy perpetuated by a lot of expats that it's cheap to live in the Philippines. A lot of then are US ex-army on $4000US a month. You can live anywhere on that amount.

Expats often rabbit on about how friendly the people are, and it's true, but like all Asians that's only the face they show. In their mind foreigners are all millionaires who deserve to be parted from their money and they will try every opportunity to make sure you are.

If you can afford it, come and live for a year or two, once the shine of living in a foreign country wears of, then you can make an informed decision..oh, and make sure you LOVE dogs, because everyone has least one non-stop barking mongrel.

Great answer it reads very truthful thanks.I am the same as the guy who posted the question,  I want to know how much in AUD you are spending to live an OK existence, In Phillo i.e. near the coast somewhere 1 or 2 bedroom apartment ? go out for a meal 2 or 3 times a week, I think you know where I am going if you wouldn't mind wasting a little time and give me a general idea that will be great. Currently living in Cambodia looking to move on. Thanks John

• Like 3

fillipino_wannabe
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Austman said:

Great answer it reads very truthful thanks.I am the same as the guy who posted the question,  I want to know how much in AUD you are spending to live an OK existence, In Phillo i.e. near the coast somewhere 1 or 2 bedroom apartment ? go out for a meal 2 or 3 times a week, I think you know where I am going if you wouldn't mind wasting a little time and give me a general idea that will be great. Currently living in Cambodia looking to move on. Thanks John

Too hard to say eh, somewhere between $800-$4000 per month. I only spent about $1200 per month for me and my wife during my first year here, now into my 4th year here and it must be close to $3k per month. The novelty of living cheaply wears off after a while (or it did for me atleast). $40 per month electric turned into $200, $5 restaurant turned into $20 restaurant, 20 peso jeepney turned into our own car etc.

• Like 5

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
14 minutes ago, fillipino_wannabe said:

The novelty of living cheaply wears off after a while

Now there speaks a man of wisdom :thumbsup:

5 hours ago, Austman said:

go out for a meal 2 or 3 times a week

In my area in Metro Manila: You can get Tapsilog (marinated beef, rice and an egg) for 114 pesos I need 2 to be full), or pancit canton (noodles, vegetables meat) (in japan they would call it yakisoba,) 120 peso, good for 2. chop suey 250 peso for good for 3. These are local take away places.

Pizza at SnR around 600 peso,,,good pizza too :thumbsup:

Or to real reasturants. Japanese, 3 types of sushi, and Yaru soba (cold noodles) 1200 pesos. Italian, Caesar salad, shrimp gambas, 14 inch pizza 1400 pesos, Persian restaurant (dont know what the hell we had) 1300 pesos. Mcdonalds, 2 quarterpounders and fries 500 pesos

So you can eat local for cheap if that's your taste. 

We own our home so can not talk about rent. 

• Like 2

jimeve
Posted
Posted

I had tender beef strips with onions and rice. P180. Wife had BBQ chicken with 2 cups of rice with veg P200. 

Then we had mango smoothies P55 each. and the food was mas sarap. (Yesterday)

• Like 3

Viking
Posted
Posted
On 7/25/2020 at 9:15 AM, Austman said:

Hello, welcome to the forum!

I think you will get different answers from everyone, some guys are happy living on a small amount  and others need several thousand dollars to have what they call a decent living.

You can check this site to get an idea about costs, you can change citys too, and see what difference that makes.

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/country_result.jsp?country=Philippines

• Like 3

Austman
Posted
Posted

Thanks to all some great answers I appreciate it! The answers generated some different answers. 20,000  to 150,000 peso's per month, Its the same as where I am living in Cambodia its very much an Individual thing i.e. some people can sit and read books all day and think they had a great day others need a little more excitement.  However it seems in the Philippines the location also has a big influence. I guess when the Covid19 storm is over i'll have to jump on a jet and spend a month or two in Cebu seems a good start and then near Zimbales or the likes. any more advice greatly welcome thankyou all 

• Like 5

hk blues
Posted
Posted

Just for perspective - 20,000 php is 400 USD, so 100 USD a week. As a foreigner living here you'll struggle to get by on that if you're having to pay your accommodation as well as other expenses. Not saying it can't be done but you'll really just be getting by. At the other end, 150,000 php a month is more than enough and would certainly improve the 'quality' of female companion if that's your thing!

• Like 5