Why live in the Philippines?

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, Austman said:

its very much an Individual thing i.e. some people can sit and read books all day and think they had a great day others need a little more excitement.  However it seems in the Philippines the location also has a big influence.

That's true, I'm a big reader but a Kindle unlimited subscription and one or two paid ebooks (normally about $5 US each) per week fixes that (the local book shops don't have much selection, mainly best sellers like you'd get in an airport bookshop plus text books and religous books).  I'm happy sitting on a verandah and reading or going for a walk for a bit of excersise around the subdivision and once a week maybe going into the city for lunch and a walk around the mall or a movie.  I do like to go for a ride for an hour or so on the motorbike but because the house is on the edge of the city I normally head out towards the hills or along the coast and stop for a coffee and something to eat before heading back.  It used to stress SWMBO how far I'd ride by myself but the family have gradually accepted that Geoffrey 'is a rider'.

I think you have to ask yourself how did you occupy yourself when you were in Cambodia?  What did you do?  And then take the things that you enjoyed about that and look for somewhere in the Philippines that offers similar experiences.  At least as a starting point anyway.

• Like 3
  • Love it 2

Austman
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

That's true, I'm a big reader but a Kindle unlimited subscription and one or two paid ebooks (normally about $5 US each) per week fixes that (the local book shops don't have much selection, mainly best sellers like you'd get in an airport bookshop plus text books and religous books).  I'm happy sitting on a verandah and reading or going for a walk for a bit of excersise around the subdivision and once a week maybe going into the city for lunch and a walk around the mall or a movie.  I do like to go for a ride for an hour or so on the motorbike but because the house is on the edge of the city I normally head out towards the hills or along the coast and stop for a coffee and something to eat before heading back.  It used to stress SWMBO how far I'd ride by myself but the family have gradually accepted that Geoffrey 'is a rider'.

I think you have to ask yourself how did you occupy yourself when you were in Cambodia?  What did you do?  And then take the things that you enjoyed about that and look for somewhere in the Philippines that offers similar experiences.  At least as a starting point anyway.

Thankyou geoffH you seem to be a very wise man! I like Cambodia . .. But I have always loved the ocean and I crave it, In my opinion if you have an ocean nearby you always have something to do, I love to swimming long distances.  Thanks Geoff

• Like 3

Austman
Posted
Posted
14 minutes ago, Austman said:

Thankyou geoffH you seem to be a very wise man! I like Cambodia . .. But I have always loved the ocean and I crave it, In my opinion if you have an ocean nearby you always have something to do, I love to swimming long distances.  Thanks Geoff

And I must add.... where I am now I feel we are being invaded by China making some things very restricted!

• Sad 2

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
20 minutes ago, Austman said:

And I must add.... where I am now I feel we are being invaded by China making some things very restricted!

There are Chinese POGOs in some areas but I'll leave commenting about that to some of the forum dwellers who live near them (I don't).

Austman
Posted
Posted
55 minutes ago, graham59 said:

Well, my nearest beach is 7 miles away, but quite a nice one, and fine for swimming.  :smile:

(Pics taken by me, looking to the north and the south)

IMG_20170326_103224.jpg

IMG_20170326_103210.jpg

Looks great to me, and a clean beach I haven't seen in a long time.  And again thanks

• Like 1

Austman
Posted
Posted
On 7/20/2020 at 7:30 AM, Heeb said:

Well for me I’ve been in Washington state for about 10 days now, I will be going back in a few weeks, it sure has been nice here, I can walk to the grocery store nearby and find just about everything I need and good quality, I’ve enjoyed sitting on the back patio without sweat dripping off me and being attacked by flys, and mosquitoes. Then there’s the the beer selection  and THC products, life is good but something still draws me to the Philippines so back I will go.

I am new to this forum just reading some posts. I haven't been to Washington but I come from a place where you can drink the water straight from the faucet (tap) the oceans are so clear and clean Swimming is a delight most of the year, I can catch huge fish 5  to 10 kg off the beach or in a small boat, food in the supermarkets is of the highest quality nearly all the produce is grown in Country or locally, the air is so clean and fresh, any excessive noise you call the cops "and they turn up" etc etc     and yet here I am back in Asia again...   

Yes. what is that magnet that draws us back to Asia??????????

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
20 minutes ago, Austman said:

Yes. what is that magnet that draws us back to Asia??????????

A Lady ? :whatever:

• Like 3
  • Love it 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

For me it's the cost of living on one of the most beautiful islands in the World for about 80k peso per month.  I'll add I'm a non drinker, non smoker and like my own cooking.  4.5km of white sand that's cleaned most days and aquamarine seas.  Another handful of decent beachs also, all within a 7km long island with an International airport on the doorstep and a ferry port.

boracay2.jpg

bora2.jpg

phil3.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love it 2

Austman
Posted
Posted
21 minutes ago, Snowy79 said:

For me it's the cost of living on one of the most beautiful islands in the World for about 80k peso per month.  I'll add I'm a non drinker, non smoker and like my own cooking.  4.5km of white sand that's cleaned most days and aquamarine seas.  Another handful of decent beachs also, all within a 7km long island with an International airport on the doorstep and a ferry port.

boracay2.jpg

bora2.jpg

phil3.jpg

absolutely beautiful. i am jealous looks great! 80k a month is over my budget. I think i hate you ha ha ha ha looks fantastic

• Like 1
  • Haha 1