Smiling faces.... Are Filipinos truly friendly? Do you have Filipino friends?

stevewool
Posted
Posted
53 minutes ago, Eddie1 said:

Ah yes, instantly recognizable!!!

:hystery:

You never know ,He could be your mate too, 

stevewool
Posted
Posted
36 minutes ago, graham59 said:

I really do think that cementing their friendship by wearing a pair of Steve's underpants on his head is a bit over the top though.  :unsure:

Well in another post I mentioned missing my socks, but finding them , well now I know where my pants went too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Terry P
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Gandang Smile said:

Sure, they are proud of their country if they miss it, and their families, their food, their traditions... They certainly miss the good stuff about the Philippines and being a Filipino.

I think it's human nature, after all: nostalgia paints our memories with the sweetest colour and we tend to forget the dark hues that motivated us to leave in the first place.

It happened to me when I left Italy for London, too.

Reality remains, that most lower-class Filipinos tend to feel entitled to a share of whatever other people have. Maybe it's bayanihan twisted to its extreme. Maybe it's just ignorance mixed with greed. I just don't like to be involved with people who behave by this principle.

Bayanihan act

To heal as one

I'll give you an example young man

My partner gave birth to 3 sons to an absolute waster. Long gone thankfully. He left them with nothing. She worked hard and sacrificed enormously to provide them with a decent education even though she's one of the lower class you are so keen to criticize

The eldest became a marine engineer and sent money home

The second qualified as a nurse and sent money home

They bought a truck and the youngest started a haulage business

The marine engineer is home now in the family business and the nurse is only 1 year from doing the same

The extended family have similar tales to tell without the assistance of a foreign sugar daddy. They did it all on their own

If that is heal as one extremists I'll take it and applaud it

They have never asked me for a penny for anything. They just want to call me dad and to be there. To contribute with guidance from my experience

I consider none of them extended family included to be either greedy or ignorant and personally an insult to the hard work and endeavour they have demonstrated

Whether this is an isolated case will be revealed by further replies on the topic but somehow I don't think so

I've worked in quite a few countries myself to better myself and my family here in the UK

Am I an OBW??

We have many living on benefits in this country and yours. How do you classify them?

• Like 2

Gandang Smile
Posted
Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, TerryP said:

I'll give you an example young man

I wish I was that young :hystery: 

43 minutes ago, TerryP said:

My partner gave birth to 3 sons to an absolute waster. Long gone thankfully. He left them with nothing. She worked hard and sacrificed enormously to provide them with a decent education even though she's one of the lower class you are so keen to criticize

The eldest became a marine engineer and sent money home

The second qualified as a nurse and sent money home

They bought a truck and the youngest started a haulage business

The marine engineer is home now in the family business and the nurse is only 1 year from doing the same

The extended family have similar tales to tell without the assistance of a foreign sugar daddy. They did it all on their own

If that is heal as one extremists I'll take it and applaud it

They have never asked me for a penny for anything. They just want to call me dad and to be there. To contribute with guidance from my experience

I consider none of them extended family included to be either greedy or ignorant and personally an insult to the hard work and endeavour they have demonstrated

Whether this is an isolated case will be revealed by further replies on the topic but somehow I don't think so

I've worked in quite a few countries myself to better myself and my family here in the UK

Am I an OBW??

We have many living on benefits in this country and yours. How do you classify them?

I am not criticising the "lower class" because I am some sort of snob. Filipinos themselves criticise the masa because it's the biggest stratum of their society that shows the behaviour I am pointing out.

Of course your partner was a wonderful mother who gave it all for her kids, who are now reputable professionals and in a position to help the extended family via remittances.

If you read my post(s) more carefully, you would have noticed that I am praising those Filipinos who leave the Philippines to find fame and fortune and a better life abroad. As I also said, these are the kinds of Filipinos I would be proud to have as friends, if I lived in the countries where they lived.

Case in point, my wife has two brothers, one living in London, one in Paris. The London one got an MBA from Columbia and worked in Wall Street before being moved to London, where I met him a couple of times. These are not the Filipinos I am generalising on and I am criticising.

The beggars and leechers are found here at home, in the Philippines. They are often the final recipients of the engineers, the nurses and the maids abroad.

There are plenty of examples of successful OFWs raised by single moms, or families of very modest means, with the right moral values and the right education. There are also plenty of examples of the opposite.

I argue that, unfortunately for this country, the bad examples are more frequently encountered than the good ones. If that wasn't the case we wouldn't be having this topic...

Edited by Gandang Smile
  • Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Jake said:

At a different time and a different world, the Filipinos were very friendly and grateful after they were liberated from Japanese occupation.  The greeting "Hey Joe" was a term of endearment for the weary US soldiers passing through their village.  I must admit that I don't know the current culture or the general street atmosphere, since I haven't been back to PI since 1997.  

However, there will always be that 10% of bad apples among any group of nationalities.  Personally, I am very grateful that I was able to immigrate to US at age 6.  There, I learn about respect and work ethics and no Filipino time.  At age 12 and still speaking with a heavy accent, I was so proud of myself wearing the uniform of Boy Scouts USA.  And of course, that eventually led me into the US military (21 years) and I'm very grateful that I survived all that military chicken shit...he, he.  Talk about bad apples, right Dan?  

Superficial or genuine?  I guess it's based on individual experience whether that respect and kindness is mutual.  These days, that human attribute of love your fellow man is quickly eroding the fabric of human decency.    Respectfully Jake 

I'm with you brother! A genuine smile goes so very far especially when in Philippines.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, graham59 said:

Here are some smiling faces I encountered yesterday afternoon, at a neighbour's just up the road:  :smile:

134995671_10225021435263518_1437843616135975666_o.jpg

133447389_10225021436063538_800863418679331485_o.jpg

( I wasn't asked for any money or 'favours' by these 'lower class' people. )

Graham, I'm thinking those folks are simply returning your kindness. Give a little and get so very much more in return?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Terry P
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, Gandang Smile said:

I am not criticising the "lower class" because I am some sort of snob. Filipinos themselves criticise the masa because it's the biggest stratum of their society that shows the behaviour I am pointing out.

Of course your partner was a wonderful mother who gave it all for her kids, who are now reputable professionals and in a position to help the extended family via remittances.

If you read my post(s) more carefully, you would have noticed that I am praising those Filipinos who leave the Philippines to find fame and fortune and a better life abroad. As I also said, these are the kinds of Filipinos I would be proud to have as friends, if I lived in the countries where they lived.

Case in point, my wife has two brothers, one living in London, one in Paris. The London one got an MBA from Columbia and worked in Wall Street before being moved to London, where I met him a couple of times. These are not the Filipinos I am generalising on and I am criticising.

The beggars and leechers are found here at home, in the Philippines. They are often the final recipients of the engineers, the nurses and the maids abroad.

There are plenty of examples of successful OFWs raised by single moms, or families of very modest means, with the right moral values and the right education. There are also plenty of examples of the opposite.

I argue that, unfortunately for this country, the bad examples are more frequently encountered than the good ones. If that wasn't the case we wouldn't be having this topic...

Beggars and leechers exist in all societies

It's something not exclusive to the Philippines

Your assumption that the majority of underclass falls into that category I question. That's not my opinion in the slightest

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
19 minutes ago, Gandang Smile said:

I think bad apples in any culture stick out and are noticed much more. This goes both ways a few Foreigners behave badly living or visiting Philippines and we all are judged to that. I'm sorry you've had some bad experiences living in Philippines it's not for everyone. Over the years we've had several members who were absolutely miserable living in Philippines it's not for everyone. 

Have you made any close Filipino friends?

• Like 4

Gandang Smile
Posted
Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, TerryP said:

Beggars and leechers exist in all societies

It's something not exclusive to the Philippines

Your assumption that the majority of underclass falls into that category I question. That's not my opinion in the slightest

I know, it's not something exclusive to the Philippines.

From what I have seen personally, and heard from countless other people, I would say the good apples are a minority compared to the bad apples. I am glad your acquired family is a great example of hard work, dedication and sacrifice that lead to success and social promotion.

My opinion, again based on direct and indirect experience, suggests me that this is the case. If this wasn't the case and a majority of lower class Filipinos were all honest, hard working, self-reliant and too proud to beg or ask for financial help at every corner, the country wouldn't be in the situation it is now.

Edited by Gandang Smile
  • Like 1

Terry P
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Gandang Smile said:

I know, it's not something exclusive to the Philippines.

From what I have seen personally, and heard from countless other people, I would say the good apples are a minority compared to the bad apples. I am glad your acquired family is a great example of hard work, dedication and sacrifice that lead to success and social promotion.

My opinion, again based on direct and indirect experience, suggests me that this is the case. If this wasn't the case and a majority of lower class Filipinos were all honest, hard working, self-reliant and too proud to beg or ask for financial help at every corner, the country wouldn't be in the situation it is now.

I think you may find that is the fault of the priveliged who are creaming off at every corner. They are the ones that strangle opportunity through their leeching. 

It's true that opportunity for betterment is achieved by the lower class by their self endeavour. Some achieve it some don't but that doesn't make the ones at the bottom of the pile bad people

Not everyone has the wherewithal to attain self achievement. They still work for a pittance to survive

They are the ones that give you a smile when you give them the time of day. And so what if it costs you a cup of coffee or a cigarette

• Like 1