Getting the vaccine for foreigners in the Philippines being looked at.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
53 minutes ago, Huggybearman said:

As a considerable number of the vaccines, some 40 million this year alone, are coming from the US and the UK, I would hope that expats would be included in the vaccination programme. Especially, as I understand it, a large number are being donated to the Philippines

Of course It's hard to disagree with that last para. but it would also be kinda tough on the non-British/American ex-pats here who would not "qualify" as their country was unable to send any vaccines here (I'm British b.t.w.).

I simple believe that the Philippines should reciprocate wherever possible and vaccinate as many foreigners as possible regardless.  I'd be willing to go to the back of any queue/line but hope I'd get the jag eventually for free. Hope being the operative word.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, hk blues said:

Alternatively, might just be another data gathering exercise for the sake of it.  

IKR, seems like every survey in the past year has asked for income level:89:

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, hk blues said:

Of course It's hard to disagree with that last para. but it would also be kinda tough on the non-British/American ex-pats here who would not "qualify" as their country was unable to send any vaccines here (I'm British b.t.w.).

I simple believe that the Philippines should reciprocate wherever possible and vaccinate as many foreigners as possible regardless.  I'd be willing to go to the back of any queue/line but hope I'd get the jag eventually for free. Hope being the operative word.  

I agree. Just to clarify, I wasn’t suggesting that only US or UK expats should get the vaccination. This is a global pandemic and as such requires a global effort. My own view is that everyone should have the opportunity to receive the vaccine. 

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Just raise your hand and say, "I am willing to pay for it."  Then it only becomes a question of whether you are in front or in the back of the line.  

• Like 1

Clermont
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, JJReyes said:

"I am willing to pay for it."  

That is the optimum phase, don't expect your home country to supply the vaccine free in an foreign country, get used to the idea, YOU"RE going to have to pay regardless of how many doses are sent to the PI's from your home country. :thumbsup:

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, JJReyes said:

Just raise your hand and say, "I am willing to pay for it."  Then it only becomes a question of whether you are in front or in the back of the line.  

I agree with the time line statement.  Money should not move us forward in the line, but neither should being an expat move us backward.  I think the majority, perhaps all, expats here expect to pay for our own vaccine and I think most of us are okay with that.  It is the uncertainty of when, where, how as non-citizens? :89:  

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Mike J said:

I agree with the time line statement.  Money should not move us forward in the line, but neither should being an expat move us backward.  I think the majority, perhaps all, expats here expect to pay for our own vaccine and I think most of us are okay with that.  It is the uncertainty of when, where, how as non-citizens? :89:  

Agreed.  Except, I'll get back to you on being OK with paying for it once I know how much!  :tongue:

• Like 1

Freebie
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, scott h said:

seems like every survey in the past year has asked for income level

Not forgetting the endless forms that ask for and in some cases require your middle name. I dislike mine and it never sees the light of day except on a form where its mandatory ot provide... ugghhhh.. ok back to the subject at hand

• Haha 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 3/8/2021 at 4:53 PM, hk blues said:

I simple believe that the Philippines should reciprocate wherever possible and vaccinate as many foreigners as possible regardless.  I'd be willing to go to the back of any queue/line but hope I'd get the jag eventually for free. Hope being the operative word

Reading through his thread it seems that some are just assuming that we foreigners will be charged or at a high cost. Nothing has been decided on the policy for how the vaccination of foreigners will be carried out.

Also on another point one has to remember that is not just the Philippines goverment paying for the shots, a lot of local governments are buying their own for their people. Are the local governments able to get the same rates for vaccine purchases?  

hk blues
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Reading through his thread it seems that some are just assuming that we foreigners will be charged or at a high cost. Nothing has been decided on the policy for how the vaccination of foreigners will be carried out.

Also on another point one has to remember that is not just the Philippines goverment paying for the shots, a lot of local governments are buying their own for their people. Are the local governments able to get the same rates for vaccine purchases?  

I've not given up hope of getting it for free based on the idea that it's cumbersome to deal with locals and foreigners in a different way but, reading many fellow posters view, it seems most are not so much against the idea of paying.  I know that in Thailand the Govt. has stated all will get equal access to the vaccine but that's vague enough to leave room to charge some and not others IMO.

Here in Iloilo they have announced they are buying outside of the national effort but not in enough quantities to cover all so let's see how it plays out.  

As for costings - I don't know but it doesn't seem to be the case that bulk orders get a discount.  If they did, wouldn't the Govt. step in and stop the ad-hoc ordering as it's costing the country money directly or indirectly.

Edited by hk blues

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic