Sinovac or Astrozeneca?

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Well, I got the text.  I will be going down Monday morning to get the AZ vaccine.

• Like 5

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Well, I got the text.  I will be going down Monday morning to get the AZ vaccine.

That's great OMW

I'm wondering about how long they tell you between 1st and second doses..  I'm thinking of trying to see if I can be able to extend the second dose a little later than six weeks if I can, but not sure if that's possible. Please let me know if you find out.

Queenie

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, Queenie O. said:

That's great OMW

I'm wondering about how long they tell you between 1st and second doses..  I'm thinking of trying to see if I can be able to extend the second dose a little later than six weeks if I can, but not sure if that's possible. Please let me know if you find out.

Queenie

This appear to be one of the issues here in Subic.  The AZ second dose may not be 100% secured yet, based on gossip.  During that discussion, it was said the second dose can be up to 90 days.  However, the first batch of AZ vaccines is expiring sometime in June, I think.

• Thanks 1

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

This appear to be one of the issues here in Subic.  The AZ second dose may not be 100% secured yet, based on gossip.  During that discussion, it was said the second dose can be up to 90 days.  However, the first batch of AZ vaccines is expiring sometime in June, I think.

That's sort of the dilemma here maybe, OMW.  I've been reading that Astrazeneca's efficacy might rise somewhat by waiting a longer period between first and second dose, with the longest being twelve weeks. In Canada they seem to be recommending those 12 weeks. Maybe Dave Houndriver in Canada or others in other home countries that have received Astrazeneca could fill us all in on what their dose gaps were.

I'm a little nervous about whether to go with what is recommended here, or waiting and possibly losing the ability to get my second dose. I think that the onus is on the DOH to provide both doses, but it's hard to predict stocks/availability as time goes on.

• Like 1

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
Just now, Queenie O. said:

That's sort of the dilemma here maybe, OMW.  I've been reading that Astrazeneca's efficacy might rise somewhat by waiting a longer period between first and second dose, with the longest being twelve weeks. In Canada they seem to be recommending those 12 weeks. Maybe Dave Houndriver in Canada or others in other home countries that have received Astrazeneca could fill us all in on what their dose gaps were.

I'm a little nervous about whether to go with what is recommended here, or waiting and possibly losing the ability to get my second dose. I think that the onus is on the DOH to provide both doses, but it's hard to predict stocks/availability as time goes on.

https://doh.gov.ph/node/28139

hk blues
Posted
Posted
57 minutes ago, Queenie O. said:

The Lancet in the UK ran an article which stated a 3 month interval resulted in a greater efficacy than a 6-week one.  This was in February.  There doesn't seem to be any conclusive confirmation of optimum interval but the consensus seems to be 6 is short and 12 is the max.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
35 minutes ago, hk blues said:

The Lancet in the UK ran an article which stated a 3 month interval resulted in a greater efficacy than a 6-week one.  This was in February.  There doesn't seem to be any conclusive confirmation of optimum interval but the consensus seems to be 6 is short and 12 is the max.

I read that too, HK.  It's seems rather a toss-up between trying to extend the interval, to possibly missing out over here.:smile: It has been reported in the Philippines that stocks of many varieties will increase over coming months. One can only hope.

We'll ask the health center that we deal with about what kind of stocks they're expecting towards the end of July. There doesn't seem to be any hard evidence on how much of a percentage difference it makes, so we'll se how it pans out for us in Cebu province. I just really want that second dose regardless. :smile:

• Like 2

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

Australian authorities have chosen a 12 week interval between the 1st and 2nd doses for Astra Zeneca, however Australia has greater supplies of AZ and a smaller population.

The Philppines face significantly greater challenges in their vaccine roll out than western countries.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I got the AZ jab this morning.  No side effects yet.  In fact, this was the first injection I have ever had where I felt NOTHING!  Not even a pin prick.  I doubted that she even gave it to me until I got home and saw blood on the cotton.

I arrived at 8 am.  They opened at 8:30.  I left at 10:30.  There were probably 50 people ahead of me when I arrived.  The 30 minute early arrival was wasted because at 8:30 they said "seniors go over here" without regard to where you were in line.  I was #45 senior and seniors went first.  It was fairly organized.

This is the renovated Subic Gymnasium where they give the shots.  My first time to see the renovation.  Very nice and it was cool.

192944843_955358258613399_7502186633636091018_n.jpg

Lots of expats.  Happened to be 4 in front of me when I took this pick.  I ran into a few people I know.  An American I know was there and I thought he was about 50 but he said he just turned 60 and snuck in under the wire!

187871663_880194999227302_9110650632102515997_n.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love it 1

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

I got the AZ jab this morning.  No side effects yet.  In fact, this was the first injection I have ever had where I felt NOTHING!  Not even a pin prick.  I doubted that she even gave it to me until I got home and saw blood on the cotton.

I arrived at 8 am.  They opened at 8:30.  I left at 10:30.  There were probably 50 people ahead of me when I arrived.  The 30 minute early arrival was wasted because at 8:30 they said "seniors go over here" without regard to where you were in line.  I was #45 senior and seniors went first.  It was fairly organized.

This is the renovated Subic Gymnasium where they give the shots.  My first time to see the renovation.  Very nice and it was cool.

192944843_955358258613399_7502186633636091018_n.jpg

Lots of expats.  Happened to be 4 in front of me when I took this pick.  I ran into a few people I know.  An American I know was there and I thought he was about 50 but he said he just turned 60 and snuck in under the wire!

187871663_880194999227302_9110650632102515997_n.jpg

Glad that you were able to get your first shot this morning OMW, without any issues. Every eligible person that wants one, who gets it is heartening I think.

Pretty tacky for that foreigner you mentioned to have possibly jumped the line, if he wasn't eligible though. Maybe he just looked younger?

• Like 1

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic