Sinovac or Astrozeneca?

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I might have the opportunity to get a vaccine soon.  I doubt that I will have a choice, but if you had the choice between Sinovac or Astrozeneca, which would you choose?

I admit to being biased against Sinovac because it is Chinese, but recent studies seem to indicate it is more effective than originally thought.  Not sure about side effects / reactions.  Astrozeneca has had some recent issues but I'm not that concerned.  I am concerned about side effects / reaction, because recently I have been battling BP spikes.  I'm 64 and in relatively good health except for the recent BP issue.

Thoughts?

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

I didn't have any issues with Astrozeneca, just some mild flu symptoms that cleared up the next day.  I have BP issues as well but no spike in that, I have a monitor and take my reading at least once a day.  

TBH I don't know much about Sinovac as it's not an option here in Australia so not on my radar.  From what little I've read, side effects appear to be similar.  

Here's an article published 3 days ago that may be helpful:

https://www.healthline.com/health/astrazeneca-vs-sinovac#summary

• Like 2

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted

I had my first jab of the Sinovac a couple of weeks ago. Absolutely no side effects at all. Not even a sore arm where the jab was given.

I was a little sceptical about its effectiveness before I did some research on it. I am quite reassured now having learned more about it. The main issue seems to be the vaccine lowers the immune system between the two doses but boosts it considerably after the second dose.

Given the choice I think I would prefer the Astra Zeneca but either is better than none! 

• Like 3

Freebie
Posted
Posted

Had two doses of Sinovac and 14 days after second shot is when I believe it gives maximum protection. Had second shot last Friday.

Having spent many years working in China I ( perhaps not suprisingly ) have an intense dislike for many things chinese, but as that was the only vaccine on offer in Makati I took the pragmatic approach and had sinovac. Would have preferred Astro but....as @ Huggybearman says, better than none.

No side effects whatsoever  from either doses and now I have a Vaccination card with QR code on it showing Ive had both doses.

But so far it doesnt confer any benefits for me, and I will still wear a mask religiously and avoid the non maskers where and when I can.

• Like 5

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Freebie said:

Had two doses of Sinovac and 14 days after second shot is when I believe it gives maximum protection. Had second shot last Friday.

Having spent many years working in China I ( perhaps not suprisingly ) have an intense dislike for many things chinese, but as that was the only vaccine on offer in Makati I took the pragmatic approach and had sinovac. Would have preferred Astro but....as @ Huggybearman says, better than none.

No side effects whatsoever  from either doses and now I have a Vaccination card with QR code on it showing Ive had both doses.

But so far it doesnt confer any benefits for me, and I will still wear a mask religiously and avoid the non maskers where and when I can.

Yep...I have a similar view in that If I had a choice I'd prefer another option but beggars can't be choosers and I'll take what's offered and be grateful for it.  

• Like 3

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

I've had my first dose of Astra Zeneca, I had a very sore arm for a few days, slept for most of the next day and was ok after a couple of days.

I don't know enough about Sinovac to express an opinion on it but I agree... any vaccine is better than none at this point.

• Like 4

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the inputs!  I'm on the same wavelength.

After reading more about Sinovac, I'm more comfortable with getting it if needed.  It is good to know that @Huggybearman and @Freebie did not have any bad reactions.  That is important to me.

@BrettGC and @GeoffH, I guess Astra Zeneca is the only option down under?  I don't mind some mild reactions.  Have others shared their reactions with you?  I would like to avoid full on flu-like reaction because of my current BP situation.

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Thanks for the inputs!  I'm on the same wavelength.

After reading more about Sinovac, I'm more comfortable with getting it if needed.  It is good to know that @Huggybearman and @Freebie did not have any bad reactions.  That is important to me.

@BrettGC and @GeoffH, I guess Astra Zeneca is the only option down under?  I don't mind some mild reactions.  Have others shared their reactions with you?  I would like to avoid full on flu-like reaction because of my current BP situation.

We have Pfizer here as well but they're reserving it for the under 50's due to the blood clotting concerns.  I think the government just ordered Moderna as well in an effort to speed up the process, we don't actually manufacture vaccines here so obtaining them with such a high demand world-wide has been problematic.  

Edited by BrettGC

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

I think the government just ordered Moderna as well

Here is Subic they had so many programs that it got confusing.  Chamber of Commerce had made a deal for Covovax and that was supposed to the earliest, but I think India squashed that.  This Sinovac / Astra Zeneca is via SBMA/DOH and just popped up over the weekend that they would start giving them May 18th to a limited number of people.  Red Cross signed us up for Moderna and we were supposed to pay on May 15th, so people are asking about that before getting the Sino or Astra.  I think most would prefer Moderna.

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
50 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Here is Subic they had so many programs that it got confusing.  Chamber of Commerce had made a deal for Covovax and that was supposed to the earliest, but I think India squashed that.  This Sinovac / Astra Zeneca is via SBMA/DOH and just popped up over the weekend that they would start giving them May 18th to a limited number of people.  Red Cross signed us up for Moderna and we were supposed to pay on May 15th, so people are asking about that before getting the Sino or Astra.  I think most would prefer Moderna.

I think that Moderna is similar to the Pfizer in that it's an RNA vaccine.  First time they've been deployed in these numbers which was a big call from the start given their transport and storage temperature requirements.  

If it makes you feel any better mate, it sounds like the roll-out of the vaccination program here in Australia has only been slightly less shambolic than what you're experiencing there.  

• Like 2

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic