Immigration woes, I dont want to play anymore

Colsie
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

That's pretty much my thinking also.  How many people when they shoot off for a visa run pack all their things up and sort out their banks, cable, phones etc just incase they get knocked back at customs?  It could be a very expensive lesson and I'd hazzard a guess if there's a girlfriend in the equation and she knows you're not getting back your things will become her things.

It must have been difficult for so many that were on a SRRV visa and not allowed back into the country during Covid years, especially when filopinos were allowed back. Having to put relationships and family on hold with no idea when they could return, but locked out the same as tourists. I'm wondering if they still had to pay the SRRV renewal costs and had their deposit interests taken while they weren't allowed here... 

• Love it 1

Freebie
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Colsie said:

Having to put relationships and family on hold with no idea when they could return, but locked out the same as tourists. I'm wondering if they still had to pay the SRRV renewal costs a

Yep, we were treated very badly. I wasnt locked up but rather locked in. Could leave but couldnt return.  Left a sour taste but life carries on. Remember how many Aussies and NZ nationlas were locked out from their own countries. And yes, as far as I know , they still charged renewal fees.. "no concessions granted sir , pay now !"

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

So update 2 months on and another extension. The office now has someone on the outside who gives you the form and there's a place to write on outside the office., similar to how the main office is or was. 

Anyway waiting to be called we both did not hear my name but then they called GF over. Again, mam. Last time we told you he had to get a permanent visa. Now im still sitting down watching but can't hear but GF was already worded up by me to say that I have started the process for an SRRV and need to buy a condo and have looked at a couple. The officer says we now have a pamphlet for SRRV which the desk officer that sits on the inside hands to her. So now I have something to read which I already know about.

Extended for another 2 months but expect the same questions next time although I might try the main office to see what happens. 

• Hmm thinking 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 12/18/2022 at 8:43 AM, RBM said:

Wondering if the first time he was questioned perhaps he was a little pertinent in his reply,

No, not at all. The first time was at the airport on return from my first 3 years' exit where a female officer suggested I get a permanent visa and said she would put a note on it or something. Another 3 years on return a male officer looked through my passport and questioned what I do here bla bla. This one said get a permanent visa or I won't be allowed re-entry next time. Then after that at my second extension, an officer started at the immigration office and is still pushing me around.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

we told you he had to get a permanent visa

At least you are not blacklisted.  It does seem that there is an unofficial greylist and you are on it.  Maybe time to try Thailand?

Possum
Posted
Posted

The Philippines has one of the most liberal visitor policies of any country I have been in. People have been gaming the system for years and now maybe immigration is tired of it, can't say that I blame them. US visitors game the system while complaining about illegals crossing the US southern border with Mexico. It is especially rich when they say they moved to the Philippines because the US was letting in too many people from other countries. Then they talk about a visa run. Rampant hypocrisy.

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Greglm said:

People have been gaming the system for years

I was a long term tourist for 12 years.  I followed every law.  I paid every fee and fine.  I never overstayed.  I was never married there.  I never retired there.  What rule did I break?  How did I "game" the system?

EDIT:  If the BI had done to me what they are doing to JGF I would have joined one of my many friends in either Thailand, Cambodia, or Malaysia.  My point is;  If the Immigration department does not want long term tourists, why did the they make rules that encourage and authorize long term temporary visitors? The Philippine authorities are not stupid.  I am sure they realize that some people come for an extended stay before going back home.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 5

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

What I find interesting is that JGF's is not the first time I've heard of this being initiated at Mactan, I've heard of a few other guys having the same issues.  I haven't heard of anything similar at NAIA on return from a visa run. 

Onemore52
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, BrettGC said:

What I find interesting is that JGF's is not the first time I've heard of this being initiated at Mactan, I've heard of a few other guys having the same issues.  I haven't heard of anything similar at NAIA on return from a visa run. 

Bloody hell Brett, having read all the posts on this got me thinking, all bad shite, I am glad you mentioned NAIA which is where I enter from down under.

I have never had any problems with the staff at the satellite office in Naga, apart from no 6 month extensions.

All good.

• Like 1

Gator
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Greglm said:

The Philippines has one of the most liberal visitor policies of any country I have been in. People have been gaming the system for years and now maybe immigration is tired of it, can't say that I blame them. US visitors game the system while complaining about illegals crossing the US southern border with Mexico. It is especially rich when they say they moved to the Philippines because the US was letting in too many people from other countries. Then they talk about a visa run. Rampant hypocrisy.

You’re mixing apples and oranges. Illegal aliens crossing the border into the USA are just that - illegal. Long stay tourists (such as JGF and many others) are not breaking any immigration laws in the Philippines, but rather taking advantage of those that are in place. If the Philippines doesn’t want long stay tourists, then it’s up to their legislators to change the law (and not some boneheads in the Cebu BOI office who won’t comply with them). 

• Like 3
  • Love it 2