Immigration woes, I dont want to play anymore

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

What gets me is yes I am not a genuine tourist but what is a tourist? how many real tourist visit a country for up to 3 years so why do they allow 3 years for tourist in the first place?  

If you stay one year, you are a 365-day tourist, a part of the "export" market since you are bringing foreign exchange to spend within the country. 

Viking
Posted
Posted
32 minutes ago, Onemore52 said:

I am heading off the topic a wee bit but here goes.

I wonder why they do not make it easier for us long term tourists to stay on and on without all this BS.

I like many of you in this forum spend a lot of money here that supports local business, the new tyres for the cars, in my position I have a local guy come in every day to to do the gardening that supports his family, the list goes on and on so I won't bore the pants off everyone.

Are these people that blind to the realities of life? (notice I toned down the language).

I agree with you.

In most cases, countries restrict the time tourists can stay in the country because they are afraid they will be a economic burden to the society or that they will take jobs that the locals can do.

Long stay tourists in the Philippines contribute to the economy by spending their money here and very few will "steal" any job from a local talent.

The Philippines benefit from having more long term tourist, if you ask me. 

• Like 3

Freebie
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Colsie said:

So I thought there may have been some collusion between the two girls, to point me to getting married 

Brief off topic moment , but there are several stories of guys taking their girls out of Philippines and both the guy /and girl ( questioned separately ) being asked why they arent married and when they will get married . Marriage encouragement is now part of Immigration duties ??? Back to JGF's situation.

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Onemore52 said:

notice I toned down the language).

I was very proud ☺️

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Viking said:

In most cases, countries restrict the time tourists can stay in the country

Most countries realize that visitors are not always tourists.  That is why they issue a Temporary Visitor's Visa, (9a) which is a non-immigrant visa issued to foreign nationals who come to the Philippines for a short period of time, whether for tourism, business or medical purposes.

Sometimes people have more than one home.  Many Canadians visit the States 6 months a year.  They are not tourists.  They are just going to their winter home and following the rules on how long they can stay.  Just like temporary visitors to the Philippines.  I was on a 9a for 12 years but did not retire there.  (Intended to but long story.)  Many people stay for 3, 6, 9 or so years before they decide to move on.  Why?  Because they legally can.

So if Philippines wants to change the law they should let us all know.  If I was still on a 9a and they told me I had to leave for a certain length of time I would just go to Thailand or wherever then come back.  Its the inconsistency and not knowing that pissed me off and I sure as HELL would be writing the commissioner of the BI to tell him what was going on and ask for confirmation.  The worst that would happen is they would tell me I wasn't wanted and the door would not hit me on the way out.  Too many other places to be and life is too short to spend it kissing ass that tastes bad.

• Like 4

Onemore52
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Most countries realize that visitors are not always tourists.  That is why they issue a Temporary Visitor's Visa, (9a) which is a non-immigrant visa issued to foreign nationals who come to the Philippines for a short period of time, whether for tourism, business or medical purposes.

Sometimes people have more than one home.  Many Canadians visit the States 6 months a year.  They are not tourists.  They are just going to their winter home and following the rules on how long they can stay.  Just like temporary visitors to the Philippines.  I was on a 9a for 12 years but did not retire there.  (Intended to but long story.)  Many people stay for 3, 6, 9 or so years before they decide to move on.  Why?  Because they legally can.

So if Philippines wants to change the law they should let us all know.  If I was still on a 9a and they told me I had to leave for a certain length of time I would just go to Thailand or wherever then come back.  Its the inconsistency and not knowing that pissed me off and I sure as HELL would be writing the commissioner of the BI to tell him what was going on and ask for confirmation.  The worst that would happen is they would tell me I wasn't wanted and the door would not hit me on the way out.  Too many other places to be and life is too short to spend it kissing ass that tastes bad.

Very well put, well done.

fillipino_wannabe
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Its the inconsistency and not knowing that pissed me off and I sure as HELL would be writing the commissioner of the BI to tell him what was going on and ask for confirmation.  The worst that would happen is they would tell me I wasn't wanted and the door would not hit me on the way out.  Too many other places to be and life is too short to spend it kissing ass that tastes bad.

Then the main office would probably call the local office and tell them you're complaining. Good luck if the local office decides to say you were rude to them. Trust me that's not the worst that can happen, I know from experience of being in the exact same situation a few years ago:biggrin:.

Viking
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

So if Philippines wants to change the law they should let us all know.  If I was still on a 9a and they told me I had to leave for a certain length of time I would just go to Thailand or wherever then come back.  Its the inconsistency and not knowing that pissed me off

I agree with most of what you are saying.

I think they are wrong messing with people who follow the rules. They made them and if they don't like how it turned out, they should change them.

At the same time it feels strange to complain that we can't stay as long as we want (indefinitely) on a tourist visa.

The Philippines actually have very generous rules of how long we can stay. There is not many another countries that allow you to stay as a "tourist" for 3 years without any problems, and after a weekend in Hongkong, they let you stay for 3 more years!

I try to see things from both sides here and not only from our side.

• Like 4

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
On 12/17/2022 at 1:44 PM, Jollygoodfellow said:

why do they allow 3 years for tourist in the first place? 

Why wouldn't they? 3 years isn't the problem for them. 6 years and more so 9 years is.

13 hours ago, Onemore52 said:

I wonder why they do not make it easier for us long term tourists to stay on and on without all this BS.

Because they don't want long-term tourists, they want permanent investments into their country, meaning SRRV and 13a.  Officially, they want immigrants on the correct visa, so retired 'long term tourists' are already breaking their rules.

11 hours ago, Freebie said:

Marriage encouragement is now part of Immigration duties ?

Only if your reason for being in their country is a Filipina, then yes they want you to get the correct Visa which would be 13a.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Viking said:

on a tourist visa

Again . . "tourist visa"?  Read the fine print on your visa.  It is a "https://immigration.gov.ph/faqs/extensionofstay  Temporary Visitor's Visa that is valid for 3 years and useful for many purposes.  NOWHERE do "tourists" stay for 3 years.  These people are not idiots.  They know we expats stay for extended periods because they want a vacation home there.  The only valid question is:  "How long does the BI want us to leave before we can repeat the process"?  Other countries clearly state that.  Philippines are vague with power tripping officials.

• Like 2