Immigration woes, I dont want to play anymore

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, fillipino_wannabe said:

Then the main office would probably call the local office and tell them you're complaining. Good luck if the local office decides to say you were rude to them. Trust me that's not the worst that can happen, I know from experience of being in the exact same situation a few years ago:biggrin:.

OK.  I do it for you.  I wrote to their Facebook page to see if they respond.  Here is my query and I will let you all know if I get a response.

Please help me with my question.

I stayed in the Philippines on a 9a Temporary Visitor's Visa for almost 3 years.  Now I am home in Canada.  My question is:  How long must I be away from the Philippines before I can go back for another 9a Visa that I can extend for a long time.

A fast answer!  But a useless answer.  Their left hand is giving no direction to their right hand:

For clarifications regarding your concern, we advise you to coordinate with POD (Port Operations Division) at (+632) 8-877-7888 loc. 8128/8187 or biportoperationsdiv@gmail.com. Thanks.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

The only valid question is:  "How long does the BI want us to leave before we can repeat the process"?  Other countries clearly state that.  Philippines are vague with power tripping officials.

And the next question: Do I want to keep dealing with these power-tripping dbags, or am I going to avoid them forever by getting permanent resident status?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
34 minutes ago, Kingpin said:

am I going to avoid them forever by getting permanent resident status?

How exactly do you do that?  Do you call it avoiding them when you have to go pay 20K PHP per year to renew an SRRV instead of going in every 6 months and paying about the same in total.  That is in addition to the deposit of US$10,000

And what if you don't want to be there permanently.  Lots of guys leave after a few years.

As far as I can tell, the only way to avoid the BI "forever" is to get a Quota Visa which is nearly impossible to do with dealing with a corrupt BI official.

• Like 1

Viking
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Again . . "tourist visa"?  Read the fine print on your visa.  It is a "https://immigration.gov.ph/faqs/extensionofstay  Temporary Visitor's Visa that is valid for 3 years and useful for many purposes.  NOWHERE do "tourists" stay for 3 years.  These people are not idiots.  They know we expats stay for extended periods because they want a vacation home there.  The only valid question is:  "How long does the BI want us to leave before we can repeat the process"?  Other countries clearly state that.  Philippines are vague with power tripping officials.

That's correct.

They should have better info on how this should be used, and not be depending on the mood of the BI officer you get.

At the same time I don't see the logic why a TEMPORARY Visa should be valid for a 9 year stay?

Isn't it enough with 3 years if you go to your " vacation home" as you say?

It's not that they don't allow us to be here, they just want us to get another kind of Visa, if we intend to stay longer than 6 years. Pretty reasonable, if you ask me.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

I watched a vlog about Bureau of Immigration plans for 2023.  The direction for visa renewal will slowly move towards an all-digital system starting with the first renewal request.  You no longer have to visit a BI office with the possibility (and frustration) of a long wait if there is a crowd.  In conversation with a former classmate, who was in government service with a previous administration, the long-term goal is to remove from BI officers some of the discretionary practices, including the threat of visa denial for routine transactions.  The direct or indirect threat of visa denial is especially strong for certain nationalities such as Chinese and Indians who are accustomed to offering "gratuities" to bureaucrats to expedite a renewal request.  Nearly all requests for renewal are routine.  Very few require additional review which may require a visit to a BI office.  The goal is to make it easier for foreigners.

Anyway, that's the plan.  Let's see what happens.

BTW - The United States is moving towards an all-digital platform for citizens.  It started with our paying for a US Passport Card, the size of a credit card, to cross the Mexico and Canada borders.  Then, Homeland Security offered Global Entry Cards allowing citizens (I think Canadians were included) to use a kiosk, bypassing both immigration and customs officers.  The latest system at select ports of entry is a two second facial scan.  The green light flashes and you are finish.  Airport scanners still require a Global Entry Card.  (You still line up for immigration and customs inspection if you are an infrequent traveler.)

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, Viking said:

At the same time I don't see the logic why a TEMPORARY Visa should be valid for a 9 year stay?

My sister-in-law's father has been going to his temporary home in the USA for 6 months every year for the last 20 years.  Why?  Because he likes it and it is legal.  The main difference here is that the Philippines does not spell out how long you can do this.  Some would do it for the rest of their life if they were told they had to spend "X" number of months somewhere else every year.

Temporary means lasting for only a limited period of time.  Somebody needs to define that limit.  If the limit is 3 years then why are so many allowed back the day after leaving to start another 3 years?  The answer is:  The BI officers like to get you over a barrel where the only answer is whatever they feel like saying that day.  And that's just wrong! (IMHO)

However, if you don't see the logic of it I am unlikely to persuade you that there is any.  :hystery:  There is seldom ANY logic in the Philippines.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
18 minutes ago, JJReyes said:

It started with our paying for a US Passport Card, the size of a credit card, to cross the Mexico and Canada borders.

Thats a good idea.  Some Americans came to Canada "temporarily" during the Vietnam war and they are still here.

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

How exactly do you do that?

I think everyone here already knows exactly how to do that: SRRV or 13a

SRRV you deal with the PRA, not BI

13a is still with the BI but only once a year, and an agent can do that for you.

Both options eliminate airport aholes forever.

• Like 2

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, JJReyes said:

The United States is moving towards an all-digital platform for citizens.  It started with our paying for a US Passport Card, the size of a credit card, to cross the Mexico and Canada borders.

That's been around for decades, I always get one along with the passport book just to have an extra ID.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Somebody needs to define that limit. 

They don't, and won't. They would like to continue with the ambiguity and lack of clarity as it provides opportunity. 

• Like 1