Girlfriends family

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
24 minutes ago, hk blues said:

It is - at least that's what my wife's family said when I asked them for one!

Most humorous post I have read in a long time. :hystery::hystery:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, conwat said:

Definitely can't afford to support an entire Filipino family so the boot has to stay down.

I knew the Scots were tight, but an (some nationality) who won't buy a Christmas present for his lady's parents.  I think you have them beat!

How about you give your lady a little pocket money and tell her she can buy a gift for her parents from the two of you?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I knew the Scots were tight, but an (some nationality) who won't buy a Christmas present for his lady's parents.  I think you have them beat!

How about you give your lady a little pocket money and tell her she can buy a gift for her parents from the two of you?

I have to agree.  After all you are sleeping with the ladies daughter.   That kind of makes her almost your Mother-in-law. :tongue:

Edited by Mike J
  • Like 1

conwat
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

If you read my previous posts Dave you'll see I do give her money each week. I just don't like being asked for presents. 

• Like 4

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
16 minutes ago, conwat said:

I just don't like being asked for presents. 

I hear and agree with that, but one of the most common phrases I used to hear in December in Philippines was:  "Merry Christmas, Where's my gift?"  I imagine it is still like that.

• Like 2

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

I think I'm a rarity amongst the expats around me as her family don't expect any presents.  I don't even give my partner any allowance. I pay for the food, accommodation and groceries which includes her woman's things. I've explained to her I'm not buying affection as some of my mates do. I share what I have, my money is her money and when it's gone it's gone but I don't give away what I have. She's actually tighter on spending than me. 

She actually works and keeps every peso she earns which is up to her what she does with the money, usually supporting her family which is great. Her family don't ask for anything but she gives. 

I also noticed out of all my mates I'm also the only one who's partner does our own washing and cooking although I keep asking her to use the local laundrette. The others partners have officialy retired, some in their twenties and spend all day taking Instagram photos and partying with their friends. Not one looks loved up. 

It is a Filipino thing to ask for presents usually though. I've lost count of the times if I mention going somewhere the next thing from them is " bring me gift." Even a guy here who I send clients to which has made him a few thousand pesos had the neck to ask me to buy him wine for Xmas. I told my partner to tell him he's got a neck. He should be buying me the wine. 😁

• Like 2
  • Love it 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I hear and agree with that, but one of the most common phrases I used to hear in December in Philippines was:  "Merry Christmas, Where's my gift?"  I imagine it is still like that.

Yes it is. People I hardly know ask for a gift at Christmas. I just say Im giving you same as last year, nothing.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1