Regrets

bob1965
Posted
Posted
On 2/27/2024 at 12:27 AM, MikeyD said:

Like many here, the only real reason I am here is because of my wife.  I was interested in living more financially comfortably than in the US but the decision was made to move to the Philippines because my wife is from here.  The cost of living is really the only advantage I see here for me and that's enough for me most of the time.  So far, eight months in, it seems difficult for us to make any real connections to her family and friends, most of them seem to only want money they might be able to separate us from and the others don't seem to want to connect.  Her parents are the only ones I really trust but they went back to the US a few weeks ago, not sure if/when they will return to the Philippines.

I am almost never bored and am a homebody and feel no need to venture out except for necessities.  My wife is the extrovert and gets bored when we are home for more than a couple of days and feels the need to drag me out with her.

I read a lot of complaints about the traffic before we moved here but I never came across and actual day to day explanation about just how much of a pain it really is.  Traffic is one thing but the aggressive and dangerous tactics employed by many busses and motorcycle drivers is something else altogether and parking is right up there with traffic since a simple trip to the local 7/11 or pharmacy or restaurant becomes near to impossible if driving your own vehicle since there is frequently no place to park and if you are lucky enough to find a place to park that your vehicle actually fits in then getting out afterwards can be very tricky and sometimes dangerous. 

Inefficiencies in the systems and water and power outages have been annoying so far but I think these things will bother me more and more as time wears on.  But the US isn't perfect in these respects, better but still room for improvement.

My wife surprised me when she said she missed the US the other day but I reminded her that we would need to drastically reduce our lifestyle if we ever move back.  So, for now we remain here and keep trying to make things work better for us.

What about trying thailand etc. or back in the Americas…maybe Costa Rica?

still inexpensive comparatively. No mooching family. And I think better infrastructure.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
18 minutes ago, bob1965 said:

move back.

Give Guam a look

Erik
Posted
Posted (edited)

Here in the Netherlands we have both cultures, everyone here has connections with Thai or Philippines people, family, work or whatever. Mine Thai colleague did bring me years ago to Thailand and went back a year later for a second vacation. Somehow. An old family friend did tell me, also years, years ago that to get a woman you better go looking in the Philippines. Because they are catholic. He was right and do regret I did not take his advice much earlier. Philippines, what els.

Edited by Mike J
Changed to a smaller font

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

No Need to Shout matey :ohmy:

• Haha 1

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
On 4/25/2024 at 6:37 PM, Erik said:

years ago that to get a woman you better go looking in the Philippines. Because they are catholic

the Vatican might be a better place for you

• Haha 2