Regrets

hk blues
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Gutenberg said:

I can't say for sure as I have never been there but will move there soon, but I have the feeling that the Phillipines will actually be a level up.

Purely speaking from the perspective of a tourist which is totally different to that of a resident, having visited Thailand numerous times for the past 25+ years I can say it beats the Philippines in almost every way.  To be fair, I've only been to Boracay a couple of times and Cebu once but both fell short of what's available in Thailand.  

• Like 2

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, hk blues said:

Purely speaking from the perspective of a tourist which is totally different to that of a resident, having visited Thailand numerous times for the past 25+ years I can say it beats the Philippines in almost every way.  To be fair, I've only been to Boracay a couple of times and Cebu once but both fell short of what's available in Thailand.  

Completely agree.   I have significant time in both places (more in the Philippines though), but I speak Thai much more fluently than tagalog. 

• Thanks 1

Gutenberg
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, hk blues said:

I am trying to stay positive because I would choose Thailand as well but the visa situation and the tax situation made it undesirable to me. If it wouldnt... well, but it's like that.

For my life plans, I think the Phillipines are the perfect match anyway. The only real issue I can think of: It was always easy to make new friends/acquaintances in Thailand as White foreigners are all concentrated in a couple of places, while the Phillipines doesn't have so many expats and they are all over and the demographics seem to be very different.

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Gutenberg said:

For my life plans, I think the Phillipines are the perfect match anyway. The only real issue I can think of: It was always easy to make new friends/acquaintances in Thailand as White foreigners are all concentrated in a couple of places, while the Phillipines doesn't have so many expats and they are all over and the demographics seem to be very different.

Filipinos also make good friends. :thumbsup:

• Like 5

hk blues
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Gutenberg said:

I am trying to stay positive because I would choose Thailand as well but the visa situation and the tax situation made it undesirable to me. If it wouldnt... well, but it's like that.

Also, as I said in my post, Thailand beats the Philippines hands down as a tourist destination IMO but living here as an ex-pat may be easier.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
usa32
Posted
Posted

no one visits both Thailand and Philippines and says Philippines is superior. Philippines have better women. But thats about it

Gutenberg
Posted
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, usa32 said:

no one visits both Thailand and Philippines and says Philippines is superior. Philippines have better women. But thats about it

Not to forget easy visa for under 50 yo and favorable territorial tax regime.

I am about to see that for myself and will leave an review about that! However, I am little biased. I was the first time in Thailand in 2005 and liked it the most at that time and people claim the Phillipines is 20-30 years behind Thailand - sounds good to me.

Current status:

Thailand: 8-10 years

Phillipines: Never been there.

Edited by Gutenberg
  • Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 4/17/2024 at 10:19 PM, usa32 said:

Many say it is easier in the Philippines because English is widely spoken.  Also it seems many are leaving Thailand due to changes in the visa requirements that raise the financial and reporting requirements.

Edited by Mike J
  • Like 2

RBM
Posted
Posted
On 3/4/2024 at 9:36 PM, Snowy79 said:

It took me a few months and a lot of learning before I beat the system here. My solution is to keep myself pretty much to myself, live in a secure resort with strict noise rules and a generator.

As for regrets I've just spent one week in Thailand and I might regret having done it. One week without videoke, not a single cockerel, fantastic food, wifi, cleanliness and very cheap, I'm regretting not checking this country out first. 🤔

That does surprise me, unless Thailand has bought in new laws regarding Videoke. My experience in Thailand is its at least as bad as here.

• Haha 1