Regrets

stevewool
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, Snowy79 said:

Sadly as anyone that lives in the Philippines knows the minute you step outside your area you are hit with reality. 

Even my partner commented that within minutes of landing back in the Philippines we saw our first cockerel and numerous scabby dogs. Just landing on Boracay we passed two videoke sessions and multiple shops blaring out loud music. We had zero of that in Thailand . 

I’m still going to give the Philippines a go , but those cockerels, those barking dogs that wailing of folk who just can’t sing , the bass vibrating the walls and that’s just the a small street in Marikina , Thailand I wonder :89:

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, stevewool said:

I’m still going to give the Philippines a go , but those cockerels, those barking dogs that wailing of folk who just can’t sing , the bass vibrating the walls and that’s just the a small street in Marikina , Thailand I wonder :89:

The Philippines does have a lot going for it, you've just to adapt or avoid. Most places are 50/50 but if lucky you can get 90/10. 

• Like 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, stevewool said:

It really doesn't have to be like that - find a place in a reasonable sub-division and you'll be more or less free of those annoyances.  Goes without saying but I'll say it anyway - research the area around your subdivision as well as noise travels! We don't have a problem with such things save for once or twice a year during fiesta. 

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

Thailand I wonder :89:

Steve mate, there are a lot of people leaving due to their immigration and Visa issues, Beware of what you wish for   :89:

• Like 2

Possum
Posted
Posted

We visited Thailand again twice in the last few months. We enjoy it a great deal. Good train transport system in Bangkok, clean, great food, inexpensive housing etc. We checked into moving there with our children and quickly discovered it was VERY expensive to legally live there.

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, hk blues said:

It really doesn't have to be like that - find a place in a reasonable sub-division and you'll be more or less free of those annoyances.  Goes without saying but I'll say it anyway - research the area around your subdivision as well as noise travels! We don't have a problem with such things save for once or twice a year during fiesta. 

I know that’s why I’m on here asking questions and looking for questions from the folk who’s there , the family home is in a area that I described but they are use to living that way I don’t think I am .

stevewool
Posted
Posted

I think one of my problems is not living near the family as many who have said they live near where there wife is from and will Emma be ok with that long term , but again by renting a place we will both now if it’s right or wrong for us both 

hk blues
Posted
Posted
19 minutes ago, stevewool said:

I know that’s why I’m on here asking questions and looking for questions from the folk who’s there , the family home is in a area that I described but they are use to living that way I don’t think I am .

Sure.

But there is no substitute for actually being here - one man's meat is another man's poison.  I think I can safely say that whatever you are looking for you can find it here but whilst it's great to get pointers from those of us already here, you really need to get boots on the ground to see for yourself. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Gutenberg
Posted
Posted
On 3/6/2024 at 2:22 PM, Snowy79 said:

Sadly as anyone that lives in the Philippines knows the minute you step outside your area you are hit with reality. 

Even my partner commented that within minutes of landing back in the Philippines we saw our first cockerel and numerous scabby dogs. Just landing on Boracay we passed two videoke sessions and multiple shops blaring out loud music. We had zero of that in Thailand . 

I lived 10 years in Thailand and can you give you also a view on some negativity.

Phuket: My first time in Thailand and besides some other nasty experiences, the biggest one was ladyboys attacking me violently and robbing me at the ATM.

Rural Isaan: 5:30 every day some 'village boss' was blaring publicly though the speakers hanging everywhere right together with a cockerel. Dogs barking constantly if somebody walked through the streets at night. Some days neighbors will party till morning and nobody will stop them. Gossip and feuds between families overshadowing everything.

Krabi: Lived there a while and had a foreign neighbor with two dogs. Constantly barking day and night. In a Muslim area... no dogs around. Promised to get them under control, nothing happened, I decided to move out.

Koh Phayam: Big fat cockroaches sleeping on my face. Moved to another 'hotel', same issues. Next day we fled the Island. :laugh:

I can't say for sure as I have never been there but will move there soon, but I have the feeling that the Phillipines will actually be a level up.

• Haha 2
  • Hmm thinking 1