50 minutes ago, stevewool said:

but what may be shit for one could be just right for others 

well I guess it is always, to each his own  

• Like 1

Maxheadspace
Posted
Posted
33 minutes ago, stevewool said:

Sounds wonderful , I’d just buy a few crates of beer and enjoy the view from your place , if that was me 

That's my life now...   :smile:

• Like 4

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

It took me a few months and a lot of learning before I beat the system here. My solution is to keep myself pretty much to myself, live in a secure resort with strict noise rules and a generator.

As for regrets I've just spent one week in Thailand and I might regret having done it. One week without videoke, not a single cockerel, fantastic food, wifi, cleanliness and very cheap, I'm regretting not checking this country out first. 🤔

• Like 3

stevewool
Posted
Posted
25 minutes ago, Snowy79 said:

It took me a few months and a lot of learning before I beat the system here. My solution is to keep myself pretty much to myself, live in a secure resort with strict noise rules and a generator.

As for regrets I've just spent one week in Thailand and I might regret having done it. One week without videoke, not a single cockerel, fantastic food, wifi, cleanliness and very cheap, I'm regretting not checking this country out first. 🤔

You could always rent your place out and live in Thailand, let me know I may be interested in renting your place come next year 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Maxheadspace said:

I don't regret coming to the Philippines, but I kind of regret moving so far out in the province.  Wish I was a little closer to a bigger city with somewhat of a nightlife.  There is zero nightlife or cultured dining within at least an hour's drive from here.  But having said that, being further out in the sticks means I have a half hectare of property with a relatively sizable house, garage, banana/coconut/calamansi/mango (etc) trees... So there's a tradeoff.  But still, would like to get out for a beer every now and then. 

It's somewhat the same here and there's only 2 other expats I've seen in town but both of them happen to be my relatively close neighbours.  The Pom is just down the lane and the Yank just across the way.  Both really great guys and we get together every now and then for a beer at one of the local day resorts;  Our own little AUKUS treaty meetings; have a laugh, bit of banter and the usual fun.  We're all happy with that and don't live in each other's pockets. 

Some Friday nights I'm in Zoom with a bunch of ex-military mates having a beer and a laugh - we've been doing it for years, well before Zoom came to the fore in recent years. 

We have one really good resto in town (Wawo's) which serves Filipino and a lot of decent western type stuff.  Excellent burgers and pizza as well but other than that not much else on the resto front other than the standard provincial eateries. There's a couple decent bars on the highway facing the water that I go for a beer with my brother-in-laws and their friends very occasionally and always have a ball but it's mainly a Filipino crowd and I'm usually the only westerner there. 

We have a decent sized Pure Gold and smaller Prince supermarkets for basics.  Other shopping is done an hour away in San Carlos at the larger Gaisano supermarket/mall and/or Save More.  There's also a couple of decent restaurants but nothing to write home about. Most of the speciality items we rely on Shopee and Lazada which is normally a 3-4 day delivery time to where we are.  

• Like 5

hk blues
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

Isn't that a contradiction? :whistling:

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Just wondering here those of you who have made your home here with your partner how far away are you from the place your partner is from or grew up .

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, stevewool said:

Just wondering here those of you who have made your home here with your partner how far away are you from the place your partner is from or grew up .

a little over 1 km