Regrets

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)

For bored Expats, the suggested solution is to find an advocacy, except of course local politics.  Love playing the guitar?  Purchase a few and offer to teach students at a nearby high school after dismissal.  Enjoy a game of chess?  Teach neighborhood children how to play and giveaway inexpensive sets.  In Ecuador, we encountered a group of retirees who reserved tables at a restaurant next to a junior college.  (There are an estimated 12,000 Norte Americanos living in Cuenca.)  The college administration was informed that their students could come, and for the price of a soda, practice English.  In return, they assisted the foreigners with Spanish pronunciation.  More fun than sitting and bitching about how things are getting bad all over the world.  

My wife is pretty good at this.  The siren of a passing ambulance in the middle of the night is very irritating.  She says, "Ah.  Someone is being saved." and goes back to sleep.  I stay up being more irritated by her comment.

Edited by JJReyes
  • Like 5

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Lee said:

If it were not for my wife, I would have never come here to live. She dutifully followed me from different jobs in the US and Europe for over 35 years. When we retired, she suggested she would like to go home---so how could I refuse. She has regrets about this decision now as her family is about as sorry as they come.

IMO the country itself is not much better.

Someone on this forum recommended the two islands rule.  You should live two islands away from the family.

• Like 4

hk blues
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, craftbeerlover said:

I live the same way, I put them aside (we really have no choice).  We live in a third world country that really wants to stay a third world country.   Having a family here and knowing what they have to look forward to in the future, makes the pill a little more difficult to swallow.   We do our best, laugh, enjoy, see things when we can etc....   But I share Lee's sentiments. 

I hear you but from most of what I am reading and hearing from many developed countries,  including specifically our respective own, it ain't what it used to be. Hence my last sentence on my post above - You gotta live somewhere.  

The grass is always greener springs to mind.

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, JJReyes said:

Someone on this forum recommended the two islands rule.  You should live two islands away from the family.

That depends.  

If the wife is unsure about moving to the USA because of her family then moving 2 islands away may already be akin to moving to the US.

With technology and communication being what it is nowadays there is no escape!

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, hk blues said:

I hear you but from most of what I am reading and hearing from many developed countries,  including specifically our respective own, it ain't what it used to be. Hence my last sentence on my post above - You gotta live somewhere.  

The grass is always greener springs to mind.

Indeed , 

• Like 1

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted

No photo description available.

• Like 5