Old55
Posted
Posted

:th_thbestpost:

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Some return home for family reasons. It is hard to raise children in the Philippines.

:no:

Bob! Where did you get this faulty information that it is hard to raise children in the Philippines! Nothing can be further than that from the truth! Children are very easy to raise in the Philippines. All they require is some rice and frequent watering and it DOES rain a lot in the Philippines.

Just look around you when in the Philippines again. Children... zillions of'em. Under bridges, on street corners, 15+ to a room in nipa houses.... Why they are everywhere!

Now apples! That is a totally different thing. Very hard to raise apples in the Philippines. Too much rain, and too hot.....

But then, I have never heard of someone moving to Phils and then leaving because he could not get a decent apple......

Ouch Bruce! I really really really need to be able to get decent apples or....! :mocking:

When I said it was hard to raise children in the Philippines, I was actually referring to what some people think as for their reason to return home rather than how hard it really is. I will find it hard to raise my children in the Philippines as I have partaken in one of the actions that should be found in the RH Bill and heard that mighty snip between my ears and my toes. In other words, my Special Someone and I will have to look into adopting (yeah, I know - with that many homeless kids without parents, you'd think it would be easier) so we can raise that family of 42 little mouths to feed.

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted

are there any members who will not make the move to the phils no matter what, or have you made the move and are wanting to move back to where you came from in the first place, if there are any of you or you know of someone, what was the reasons, weather, money or just a mistake, its all right many who have never moved there yet other then holidays talking about this and how wonderful it will be, there has to be a few who for what ever reason it did not work for them

I know one, who moved home because of a karaoke neighbour, Now just a few months later they have sold their house, but even before it was sold, he had changed his mind half back to live half year in the Philippines - somewhere with no neighbour with karaoke :hystery:

What the westerner sees is a long drawn out process to build a simple wall that should take 2 hours. What a Pinoy thinks is that I am paid 300p a day and I need to feed my family and I can work this wall for 3 days to get 900p to feed my family. So who is wrong? Attitude! Accept 'their' ways and be happy, or be critical and be angry all the time.

I hope it can be solved by paying for what they DO :) not paying per day. (=Pay for EXPECTED needed time, UNDEPENDING of time spend. Then I suppouse they will finnish fast :dance:

I mean when it's easy enough to define minimum quality, and what's fair time needed.

When I need much work done, it can be an alternative to give first job on trial and TELL he/she will get more work IF it's made good and fast enough.

But it's harder now with my injury. Before I just show workers how fast I could do things myself, and it could have been lose face for them if an old man do it faster than them :mocking:

My time in the Phiippines has taught me a lot more than I have taught them.

Sure Filipins are good at many things too. A main thing, they can teach many kanos, is be happy for small things, instead of stressing to get more things than we realy need.

But few of them are good at thinking out of the box. I mean think other than the normal Filipin thinking.

I have found a good argument, when discussing business thinking.

-It's needed a COMBINATION of Filipin local knowledge, and foreigner business economy thinking, because IF you think as Filipin about the business economy part too, then you will only reach Filipin pay... :)

BUT we can't expect poor Filipins to be good at thinking far ahead, because many of them are occupied needing to think how to get food today and tomorrow, so it's very hard for them to get useful practise of thinking much ahead...

• Like 1

nor cal mike
Posted
Posted
We rant about all the negative things about the Philippines and this time, I would like to express my extreme prejudice about this particular ugly American. I would probably get arrested and will pay extra pesos just to be in the same jail cell with this douche bag -- so that I could continue harassing him like stink on chit. A well done burger with hot sauce shoved up his butt will be my personal introduction of Filipino revenge serve on a cold platter. Enough said -- Jake

C'mon Jake, tell us how you really feel. BTW I totally agree.

• Like 4

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted (edited)

This was from TRAVIS A member who lived here and has since departed

below is some other topics of those who lived here and their "experiences"

Edited by Pittman apartments Sgn
  • Like 4

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Very interesting!

For those who are wondering just how the forum has changed, the first link will give you an idea of how much friendlier we are around here now.

I must admit - Mr HoundDriver - that has to be the best use of grapes I have ever heard! Thank You!!!

(I'm glad my grape isn't sour!!!) :mocking:

• Like 1

Bruce
Posted
Posted (edited)
Bruce, on 20 January 2013 - 11:34 AM, said: What the westerner sees is a long drawn out process to build a simple wall that should take 2 hours. What a Pinoy thinks is that I am paid 300p a day and I need to feed my family and I can work this wall for 3 days to get 900p to feed my family. So who is wrong? Attitude! Accept 'their' ways and be happy, or be critical and be angry all the time. I hope it can be solved by paying for what they DO not paying per day. (=Pay for EXPECTED needed time, UNDEPENDING of time spend. Then I suppouse they will finnish fast I mean when it's easy enough to define minimum quality, and what's fair time needed. When I need much work done, it can be an alternative to give first job on trial and TELL he/she will get more work IF it's made good and fast enough. But it's harder now with my injury. Before I just show workers how fast I could do things myself, and it could have been lose face for them if an old man do it faster than them

No, that is western thinking and does not work. I tried it when I built the boarding house. Much better to not try confuse them with 'piece work' or a bonus for time saved. You will just get frustrated.

I have seen them take a 1 foot piece of 3/4 PVC pipe and drive a masonary nail thru the end and use it as a chipper to manually open a doorway in a block wall. In the US, concrete saw and 15 min later, you have a doorway. But not in the Philippines!

I even bought them a 220v drill and a set of bits for some wood work. My mistake. When I smelled wood buring, I realized that they did not know which direction a drill bit is made to turn...

On the positive side, I had up to 11 workers working all day at less than $50 a day depending on their pay scale as skilled worker or not skilled.

SO DO NOT TRY TO RE INVENT THE PHILIPPINE WHEEL! Just hire a guy to run the show for you and you deal with him. They have been building before you were born and will be building after you die. Just go with the flow, add in extra rebar to suit and you will get a good final product.

Edited by Bruce
  • Like 5

earthdome
Posted
Posted
No, that is western thinking and does not work. I tried it when I built the boarding house. Much better to not try confuse them with 'piece work' or a bonus for time saved. You will just get frustrated. I have seen them take a 1 foot piece of 3/4 PVC pipe and drive a masonary nail thru the end and use it as a chipper to manually open a doorway in a way. In the US, concrete saw and 15 min later, you have a doorway. But not in the Philippines! I even bought them a 220v drill and a set of bits for some wood work. My mistake. When I smelled wood buring, I realized that they did not know which direction a drill bit is made to turn...

There are skilled craftsmen with the proper tools to do work. Of course you have to pay more for their work.

The day I rented the studio apartment I needed to improve the security by adding inside manual dead bolt locks and a keyed deadbolt lock to the front door. My girlfriend knew someone who had done this type of work for her father. He came over on short notice with the proper tools and did a great job installing these in less than an hour. I am ok doing handyman work around the house but he did a better job than I could have and in less time.

• Like 4