Expat Whos Moved And Returned

Thomas
Posted
Posted (edited)

all sounds wonderful for you Thomas, its what you believe in that counts,

Well. Not much worth believing, if it can't be done   :)

but many don't try something, because they don't believe it's possible.

(I  (as single) have no problem living of 1000-1200 USD/month in Sweden, although only the heating costs of my house is over 6000 USD per year. IF building the house with good issolation in Phili, I expect cooling costs will be rather small.)

Edited by Thomas
  • Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Steve, if you are married, you can go for the 13a Visa (and forget Visa runs).  Another option is to get the Balikbayan stamp and go year by year.even though this means you will have to leave once every year and come back.  The difference is that there are no extensions to pay for.

• Like 1

GregZ
Posted
Posted

do you put into your budget flights back home

That's an interesting question that I would really like to see Jim Sibbick's answer to.  He lives here on $800 a month and yet spends only a few months here then goes back to Australia for a few months.  How does he do it?  Unless, perhaps, plane fare is not included and some of his annual type payments are made in Australia so not included in his Philippine budget?  Just asking.

Married people may not worry about visa and plane tickets but those of us who have bi monthly tourist visas and annual visa runs have to account for those in our budgets.  They add up.

you say married people may not worry, why is that, i am married so what difference will that make for me,

will i not have to get the bi-monthly tourist visa and the annual visa too

Steve, if you are married, you can go for the 13a Visa (and forget Visa runs).  Another option is to get the Balikbayan stamp and go year by year.even though this means you will have to leave once every year and come back.  The difference is that there are no extensions to pay for.

Just so the budget has everything, you NEED 2 TICKETS... on the Balikbayan stamp YOU & WIFE have to come into the country TOGETHER each time.  Make sure you have your marriage certificate with you. :nudie: You can just go to Hong Kong or somewhere else though... not having to go to home country.

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted

do you put into your budget flights back home

That's an interesting question that I would really like to see Jim Sibbick's answer to.  He lives here on $800 a month and yet spends only a few months here then goes back to Australia for a few months.  How does he do it?  Unless, perhaps, plane fare is not included and some of his annual type payments are made in Australia so not included in his Philippine budget?  Just asking.

Married people may not worry about visa and plane tickets but those of us who have bi monthly tourist visas and annual visa runs have to account for those in our budgets.  They add up.

you say married people may not worry, why is that, i am married so what difference will that make for me,

will i not have to get the bi-monthly tourist visa and the annual visa too

>Steve, if you are married, you can go for the 13a Visa (and forget Visa runs).  Another option is to get the Balikbayan stamp and go year by year.even though this means you will have to leave once every year and come back.  The difference is that there are no extensions to pay for.

Just so the budget has everything, you NEED 2 TICKETS... on the Balikbayan stamp YOU & WIFE have to come into the country TOGETHER each time.  Make sure you have your marriage certificate with you. :nudie: You can just go to Hong Kong or somewhere else though... not having to go to home country.

on our last trip we got my passport stamped this way, so no fees that time, again lots of good information, thanks all

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
Bruce
Posted
Posted

There is a very real learning curve. Either you adapt, go broke and return to your home country or become a bitter anti Phils kind of guy!

So after your learn that things do not change too much in Phils, you adapt your giving and use the word BUDGET a lot..... Most do understand that word.

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Lots of members on here have learned how to adapt so that they are happy residents in the Philippines.  In each case, it's up to the person to decide what will make them happy and set up accordingly.

• Like 4

Bruce
Posted
Posted

If it works for you, then go with it. If it doesn't, then make some changes. :cheersty:

• Like 2

MacBubba
Posted
Posted

One thing I do really dislike about Philippine society is the indoctrination almost all children are subjected to. It is usually twofold. 1. The Catholic Church learned hundreds of years ago that if you 'get them when they're young you have them for life.' 2. Filipino parents bring up their children from birth to be their 'Pension Plan.' I think this is dreadfully unfair on their children who deserve to be able to make their own way in life without the enormous boulder of parental need hung around their necks. So many children are told that it is their duty and obligation to support their parents in old age and to sacrifice their own chances of happiness and family life to provide for the education of numerous siblings which their parents chose to bring into the world.

I am glad that the statement was at least qualified as being true only for "almost all children".  I am certain that although that may be true for many, it is not a sweeping majority.  The fact that Filipinos look after their elders is cultural - it is done out of love and gratitude.  In the very traditional families, parents rear their children selflessly.  They do their utmost to raise their children in the best way they can, without expectation.  If at all possible, they will provide for their children well after they are gone.

I for one have been a recipient of this kind of generosity.  My mother-in-law helped us purchase our first home, our retirement home, and even our final resting place.  She and her husband and their forebears have made it possible for future generations to always have a place to call home.  My wife and her siblings have no plans of dividing up properties now that their mother is gone.  It will be passed down, the way their parents would have wanted it.

• Like 5