Expat Whos Moved And Returned

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I was kind of hoping somebody would have bought me supper.....!

:mocking:

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted

do you put into your budget flights back home, or once you have gone to where ever there is no coming or going back,

GregZ
Posted
Posted

A place is just a place. What really matters is the people you surround yourself with. I struggle sometimes with the people I am with because it is hard to communicate with a lot of them. I think it would be healthy for a foreigner to spend a little time with other foreigners if he can. I think if I could learn the Filipino language I would enjoy it a lot more.  We have lived our whole lives a certain way and when you move to a new country it is totally different. How well you can adjust to change will determine how well you will enjoy it in the Philippines. If you get frustrated a lot in your coiuntry you might have a problem here.

i get very fustrated living in england, bills to keep warm bills to feed yourself, bills to drive your car, and fustrated with work trying to get to A to B in such a time you just cant do it, so you break the law, get rid of all those little silly things you do in england to survive, and all my fustrations will be gone

I've been living in the Philippines for 9 months now and still have bills to keep cool, bills to feed myself, bills for transportation, and

my fustrations are not all gone.  Please tell me what I am doing wrong!!!  OR stevewool, like someone else said you will find troubles here.  If you tend to get frustrated there in England you will likely do the same here in the Philippines.  I could be wrong, but I could be right. :cheersty:

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

do you put into your budget flights back home

That's an interesting question that I would really like to see Jim Sibbick's answer to.  He lives here on $800 a month and yet spends only a few months here then goes back to Australia for a few months.  How does he do it?  Unless, perhaps, plane fare is not included and some of his annual type payments are made in Australia so not included in his Philippine budget?  Just asking.

Married people may not worry about visa and plane tickets but those of us who have bi monthly tourist visas and annual visa runs have to account for those in our budgets.  They add up.

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted

do you put into your budget flights back home, or once you have gone to where ever there is no coming or going back,

When I count it's three steps:

1. Common living costs

2. "Kano costs" =the extra costs for kanos as e g Visa.

1 + 2   I count as my mounthly budget.  (I believe 40 000p per month can be enough for me, wife and 2 kids to live OK, but I aim at earning at least 70 000p, when my businesses is fully running.)

3. Visits to my home country, I count separate, because not sure how often I will want to go. In the beginning I expect 1 month visit 1 time per year, but I guess less, when my parents have died, and own kids in the Philippines need much attention. I find it to expensive to bring whole family to Sweden, except perhaps one time to "show" wife and kids for relatives, let them meet each other. But I would prefer NOT showing wife the Swedish living standard. An ex gf didn't dare to fly, which solved that problem   :hystery:

• Like 2

stevewool
Posted
Posted

A place is just a place. What really matters is the people you surround yourself with. I struggle sometimes with the people I am with because it is hard to communicate with a lot of them. I think it would be healthy for a foreigner to spend a little time with other foreigners if he can. I think if I could learn the Filipino language I would enjoy it a lot more.  We have lived our whole lives a certain way and when you move to a new country it is totally different. How well you can adjust to change will determine how well you will enjoy it in the Philippines. If you get frustrated a lot in your coiuntry you might have a problem here.

i get very fustrated living in england, bills to keep warm bills to feed yourself, bills to drive your car, and fustrated with work trying to get to A to B in such a time you just cant do it, so you break the law, get rid of all those little silly things you do in england to survive, and all my fustrations will be gone

I've been living in the Philippines for 9 months now and still have bills to keep cool, bills to feed myself, bills for transportation, and

my fustrations are not all gone.  Please tell me what I am doing wrong!!!  OR stevewool, like someone else said you will find troubles here.  If you tend to get frustrated there in England you will likely do the same here in the Philippines.  I could be wrong, but I could be right. :cheersty:

i am sure there will be troubles and stress there in the phils for me to find, but also there will be more days for me to think, wow i should have done this years ago

• Like 2

stevewool
Posted
Posted

That's an interesting question that I would really like to see Jim Sibbick's answer to.  He lives here on $800 a month and yet spends only a few months here then goes back to Australia for a few months.  How does he do it?  Unless, perhaps, plane fare is not included and some of his annual type payments are made in Australia so not included in his Philippine budget?  Just asking.

Married people may not worry about visa and plane tickets but those of us who have bi monthly tourist visas and annual visa runs have to account for those in our budgets.  They add up.

you say married people may not worry, why is that, i am married so what difference will that make for me,

will i not have to get the bi-monthly tourist visa and the annual visa too

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted

1. Common living costs

1 + 2   I count as my mounthly budget.  (I believe 40 000p per month can be enough for me, wife and 2 kids to live OK, but I aim at earning at least 70 000p, when my businesses is fully running.)

3. Visits to my home country, I count separate, because not sure how often I will want to go. In the beginning I expect 1 month visit 1 time per year, but I guess less, when my parents have died, and own kids in the Philippines need much attention. I find it to expensive to bring whole family to Sweden, except perhaps one time to "show" wife and kids for relatives, let them meet each other. But I would prefer NOT showing wife the Swedish living standard. An ex gf didn't dare to fly, which solved that problem   :hystery:

so you say around 40,000 per month is about right  for you and your wife and the two kids, so just for 2 people thats a budget they could manage on too, depending on how they live

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted

you say married people may not worry, why is that, i am married so what difference will that make for me,

will i not have to get the bi-monthly tourist visa and the annual visa too

I suppose he ment if being married to a Filipina, then there are much less cost options than tourist Visa extensions.

1. Common living costs

so you say around 40,000 per month is about right  for you and your wife and the two kids, so just for 2 people thats a budget they could manage on too, depending on how they live

Well. I say I believe - after house is built - an economic small family can live OK at 40 000p per month in province, but hard in Manila or Cebu.

At least I believe it's possible to live OK at 40 000p when the kids are small, before they become demanding teenagers  :) 

I have NOT counted with private school when they get older either

(because I hope not needing any for the kids. I plan to complete the public school by teaching some home schooling in the most important subjects, when they are small. Plus I hope the kids get genes  :)   so they can get higher education KNOWLEDGE by just reading by themselves as I have done mostly myself. My I believe future wife is rather clever, although she has low self asteem still, so she don't believe she is any clever   :)  

• Like 3

stevewool
Posted
Posted

all sounds wonderful for you Thomas, its what you believe in that counts,

• Like 2