Expat Whos Moved And Returned

Thomas
Posted
Posted

I think if I could learn the Filipino language I would enjoy it a lot more.

Yes, I believe so too.

Parallell to research living and business in the province I decide (preliminary) I will settle down in, I plan to try to learn study the local language. 

get rid of all those little silly things you do in england to survive, and all my fustrations will be gone

Yes, them - and get some new types    :hystery:       

but I believe not so hard if you don't build house and/or start own business. I plan to do both...   :hystery:

• Like 2

Adventurer
Posted
Posted (edited)

reading the first page or 2 was interesting... anyway I have been back in Aussie for about 1 month and I miss my fiancee a lot but otherwise I have to say I think we will live here more than the Philippines in the future. I gave the Philippines a good try over 5 years, 5 trips, 5 girlfriends and lived in 5 parts. I lived in cities, beaches, provinces, country and rurural,....

Now our plan is to bring my fiancee back here and get in a good position to own businesses and property in Australia but to also have some home or even a small resort in the Philippines that we can have others run but still be able to go back and forward to.

Australia is better than the USA in one big way, there are NO GUNS or at least very few compared. Schools are definitely better in that regards alone than both Philippines and USA I would guess.

The infrastructure here has peaked so everything is a smooth ride especially living in a major city. You have everything all laid out for you, nice parks and public facilities. Art, sports or whatever,opportunities and interests are all taken care of, modern libraries, transport system improves, new trains, buses, roads etc... of course this time of a year the weather is ideal and it's a nice time to live here plus I can chill with smoke and cold beer with no worries or not care for visa renewals etc.

You can get a normal job here and make $120 or 5,000 pesos a day sweeping floors or you can go on the dole and get over $500 every 2 weeks and have your bum wiped if you want. Whatever you want, you can do it here, You can become a filthy rich businessman if that is your thing pretty easily too. I want to get some investments and be financially stable so I can enjoy my creative passions and be able to travel the world as we please.

It's unfortunate that I have to be here alone without my fiancee as I stay here to get our future together financially but while I'm here I'm enjoying the fact it has improved in Australia, peoples attitudes seem better, people are using bicycles now a lot more for example and I like that. Yes there are things that can bug me here too but I think a lot depends on your attitude. I was able to find a place in mid city for 20k pesos a month with all utilities and Internet included, as good or better than Cebu... sure it's no mansion but it's fine while alone and saving.

Now I go to Cebu and I get bumpy roads, pollution, no infrastructure, no rights and a sense of vulnerability, but I can enjoy a different lifestyle and friendlier atmosphere and the positives are in other areas.

Of course my fiancee is the important no 1 priority bit eventually we will both have travel access which will mean she will be in Australia more often but we will definitely have a 2nd home in the Philippines.

This is a no frills reality situation but the fact is I gave the Philippines a good try and it will only ever be my 2nd home!

Edited by Adventurer
  • Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I have been back in Aussie for about 1 month and I miss my fiancee a lot but otherwise I have to say I think we will live here more than the Philippines in the future. I gave the Philippines a good try over 5 years, 5 trips, 5 girlfriends and lived in 5 parts. I lived in cities, beaches, provinces, country and rurural,....

There is no shame in trying and finding it is not a good fit.  The important part is that you tried!  So many can't do that or make up their minds within 30 seconds of arriving.  Your plans for you and your future Mrs sound great!  All the best to you and I look forward to hearing more from you!

:tiphat:

• Like 2

Bruce
Posted
Posted (edited)

reading the first page or 2 was interesting... anyway I have been back in Aussie for about 1 month and I miss my fiancee a lot but otherwise I have to say I think we will live here more than the Philippines in the future. I gave the Philippines a good try over 5 years, 5 trips, 5 girlfriends and lived in 5 parts. I lived in cities, beaches, provinces, country and rurural,....

Now our plan is to bring my fiancee back here and get in a good position to own businesses and property in Australia but to also have some home or even a small resort in the Philippines that we can have others run but still be able to go back and forward to.

Australia is better than the USA in one big way, there are NO GUNS or at least very few compared. Schools are definitely better in that regards alone than both Philippines and USA I would guess.

The infrastructure here has peaked so everything is a smooth ride especially living in a major city. You have everything all laid out for you, nice parks and public facilities. Art, sports or whatever,opportunities and interests are all taken care of, modern libraries, transport system improves, new trains, buses, roads etc... of course this time of a year the weather is ideal and it's a nice time to live here plus I can chill with smoke and cold beer with no worries or not care for visa renewals etc.

You can get a normal job here and make $120 or 5,000 pesos a day sweeping floors or you can go on the dole and get over $500 every 2 weeks and have your bum wiped if you want. Whatever you want, you can do it here, You can become a filthy rich businessman if that is your thing pretty easily too. I want to get some investments and be financially stable so I can enjoy my creative passions and be able to travel the world as we please.

It's unfortunate that I have to be here alone without my fiancee as I stay here to get our future together financially but while I'm here I'm enjoying the fact it has improved in Australia, peoples attitudes seem better, people are using bicycles now a lot more for example and I like that. Yes there are things that can bug me here too but I think a lot depends on your attitude. I was able to find a place in mid city for 20k pesos a month with all utilities and Internet included, as good or better than Cebu... sure it's no mansion but it's fine while alone and saving.

Now I go to Cebu and I get bumpy roads, pollution, no infrastructure, no rights and a sense of vulnerability, but I can enjoy a different lifestyle and friendlier atmosphere and the positives are in other areas.

Of course my fiancee is the important no 1 priority bit eventually we will both have travel access which will mean she will be in Australia more often but we will definitely have a 2nd home in the Philippines.

This is a no frills reality situation but the fact is I gave the Philippines a good try and it will only ever be my 2nd home!

Australia is better than the USA in one big way, there are NO GUNS or at least very few compared.

What? I fail to see your point about guns in your post about working in Oz. If you were really interested in guns and comparing the stats, then look at the Oz pre 1997 crime stats and the current stats. No too good. 

Here in the US there are also patterns. In say New York City, were it is difficult to get a gun and a permit to carry (2 different things) when a criminal robs you, he is somewhat comfortable in knowing that you most likely will not be able to fight him off because you .... have no gun....! But contrast to Florida where there are about 1,000,000 active gun carry permits, that same robber is much more frightened when he starts trying to rob someone because there is a good chance they you DO have a gun.  

The average gun owner in the US or UK or OZ are all very similar. All passed a background check and are very likely responsible people. However the criminals are ... well criminals! Sadly, it is the responsible gun owners who must pay the price of gun control due to the actions of the criminals.  

One interesting thing in the US is the outright SHOCK when reading articles of homeowners in the UK who are arrested for 'harming' a burglar! Even with no gun. Bash him or stab him, the homeowner gets arrested and then sued! No so in the US (yet).

What happens in Oz if you wake up at night and find a man in your house? What can you do to defend your home and then yourself / family?   

Edited by Bruce
  • Like 4

stevewool
Posted
Posted

its the people that never ever go to a place then  shouts and calls it ever name under the sun that gets up my nose

• Like 2

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Australia is better than the USA in one big way, there are NO GUNS or at least very few compared.

What? I fail to see your point about guns in your post about working in Oz. If you were really interested in guns and comparing the stats, then look at the Oz pre 1997 crime stats and the current stats. No too good. 

Here in the US there are also patterns. In say New York City, were it is difficult to get a gun and a permit to carry (2 different things) when a criminal robs you, he is somewhat comfortable in knowing that you most likely will not be able to fight him off because you .... have no gun....! But contrast to Florida where there are about 1,000,000 active gun carry permits, that same robber is much more frightened when he starts trying to rob someone because there is a good chance they you DO have a gun.  

The average gun owner in the US or UK or OZ are all very similar. All passed a background check and are very likely responsible people. However the criminals are ... well criminals! Sadly, it is the responsible gun owners who must pay the price of gun control due to the actions of the criminals.  

One interesting thing in the US is the outright SHOCK when reading articles of homeowners in the UK who are arrested for 'harming' a burglar! Even with no gun. Bash him or stab him, the homeowner gets arrested and then sued! No so in the US (yet).

What happens in Oz if you wake up at night and find a man in your house? What can you do to defend your home and then yourself / family?   

you are allowed to protect your home and persons within reason, try finding a happy reason thats the hardest, you will still be arrested and handcuff and taken to the police cells,

• Like 1

Bruce
Posted
Posted

..... you are allowed to protect your home and persons within reason, try finding a happy reason thats the hardest, you will still be arrested and handcuff and taken to the police cells,

Thanks Steve... Now I see that term again that is useless....  'within reason' and 10 different people can come up with 10 different answers and then I must ask how, after waking up in the night and finding someone in your house and you, using force 'within reason' are still arrested and taken to a cell... well how is that better than in the US?  

What IS bad about the US is that there are 50 states and therefore 50 sets of laws. None of which are as bad as the laws in th UK that protect criminals, but even so, there should be more uniform laws. In New York, you kill a burglar with a bat or knife... no issues if he is in your house. But use a gun... unless you have a permit (hard to get) you go to jail. But in many other areas, gun, bat, knife, sword, no issue as long as he was in your house.

So, I think that guns, as an issue listed by Adventurer above, is not really much of a BIG issue in determining to return back to your home country or not (unless your home country is Somalia). Steady work, healthcare and other more pressing things come to mind way before any concern that one country may have more lax gun laws than others...

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Hey Folks!

Let's not make this a gun debate, ok?  

Next person who posts on guns buys pizza for the rest of us,

:89:

• Like 3

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Well, with over 2,000 forum members..... thats a lotta pie!

stevewool
Posted
Posted

urmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm whats the weather been like today then if we cant talk about ----- :hystery: