Aussie Executed

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
I like to jump in with both feet sometimes it works sometimes it don't but all in all I learn a little something on the way

Whatever doesn't kill ya makes ya stronger.  Too bad about the Aussie in the opening post, may he R.I.P.

• Like 3

lyno 47
Posted
Posted

As for me moving to the phils to retire is what I want to do.I have spent a lot of time there over the years,and I go with eyes wide open.I don't know it all but I know enough to fly under the radar,and keep a low profile,let my Filipino wife do most of the buying,house, furnature ,tvs etc.I will shop at the big malls,so the price I pay is what everybody else pays.As for safety you can pick a fight in any country,if you just walk away you stand a better than average chance of coming out o/k as long as you keep your mouth shut.Dealing with govt dept or just paying bills,I am in no hurry,sure I can complain but it will always fall on deaf ears,and the only one it will upset is me so just accept that's the way things work there and get used to the fact that you ,me or any other expat is not going to change the way they do things.When you get back to where you live in the phils,put your feet up have a cold beer and enjoy the rest of your day :cheersty:

• Like 5

Thomas
Posted
Posted

their are just too many murders of foreigners in the Philippines for my liking.

Everytime I think about moving there, I read this forum and I change my mind.

But many foreigners are NOT murdered too, e g people writing here now  :)

lots of complicated ways of doing things, corruption to avoid the complications, etc. etc... You can have as much or as little drama in your life as you want here. For me, I chose zero and that's what I get.

Well. Yes, you can chose to avoid drama, but not the unnecesary mess  :)  

=Basicly same problems, but chose to react different at them.

Taking precautions towards safety should always be a priority and will definitely make for a more comfortable lifestyle overall.
Yes and No  :)   (for me)

Yes to do some for safety,

but adding a close guard make it LESS comfortable for me, because I don't want ANY live ins or close neighbours.

(I aim at try to get a place where it's far to neighbours so no "outsiders" have reason to be there, my house 300 meters or so from the public road, the living area a bit up so it make it some harder to get in fast, and add a guard/worker living where my road connect to the public road.)

---

Concerning addapting I try to keep my future wife away from countries as Sweden and USA, so only I need to addapt  :)

jon1
Posted
Posted (edited)

Excellent comments guys!  Hey Jon1.....can I borrow your phrase SMDH, I really like that!

Yes Jake not a problem borrow away! I got that nifty acronym from an Army gal I know and use it quite frequently! hahahaha

It's a great coping tool.

but adding a close guard make it LESS comfortable for me, because I don't want ANY live ins or close neighbours. (I aim at try to get a place where it's far to neighbours so no "outsiders" have reason to be there, my house 300 meters or so from the public road, the living area a bit up so it make it some harder to get in fast, and add a guard/worker living where my road connect to the public road.)   --- Concerning addapting I try to keep my future wife away from countries as Sweden and USA, so only I need to addapt  

Not sure how much a guard will do for you. From what I have seen they are either useless or a liability. Your best guard will be a small barking dog and another larger breed dog. That way the small dog is the alarm clock and the big dog is the finisher. Especially if you have a 300M buffer around your house. The dogs also need to be trained to not accept any food from anyone but you or your family. Burglars will poison dogs then move in.

I agree 2000% on the person needing to adapt is the expat not the filipina. You married her because of her attitude. You take her to Sweden or the USA and they quickly become westernized (not what you want)...

Well. Yes, you can chose to avoid drama, but not the unnecesary mess     =Basicly same problems, but chose to react different at them.

Yes that is where the SMDH comes in. Take a deep breath step away and grab a beer :)   :cheersty:

Edited by jon1
  • Like 1

Fast&Furious
Posted
Posted

Not sure how much a guard will do for you. From what I have seen they are either useless or a liability. Your best guard will be

this:

87545d1253399191-ar-15-bushmaster-colt-a

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted

Excellent comments guys!  Hey Jon1.....can I borrow your phrase SMDH, I really like that!

Yes Jake not a problem borrow away! I got that nifty acronym from an Army gal I know and use it quite frequently! hahahaha

It's a great coping tool.

but adding a close guard make it LESS comfortable for me, because I don't want ANY live ins or close neighbours. (I aim at try to get a place where it's far to neighbours so no "outsiders" have reason to be there, my house 300 meters or so from the public road, the living area a bit up so it make it some harder to get in fast, and add a guard/worker living where my road connect to the public road.)   --- Concerning addapting I try to keep my future wife away from countries as Sweden and USA, so only I need to addapt  

Not sure how much a guard will do for you. From what I have seen they are either useless or a liability. Your best guard will be a small barking dog and another larger breed dog. That way the small dog is the alarm clock and the big dog is the finisher. Especially if you have a 300M buffer around your house. The dogs also need to be trained to not accept any food from anyone but you or your family. Burglars will poison dogs then move in.

I agree 2000% on the person needing to adapt is the expat not the filipina. You married her because of her attitude. You take her to Sweden or the USA and they quickly become westernized (not what you want)...

Well. Yes, you can chose to avoid drama, but not the unnecesary mess     =Basicly same problems, but chose to react different at them.

Yes that is where the SMDH comes in. Take a deep breath step away and grab a beer :)   :cheersty:

Where's my triple like button?  Another head shot bullseye Jon1!

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted

Not sure how much a guard will do for you. From what I have seen they are either useless or a liability. Your best guard will be

this:

or this:

post-686-0-60779700-1371130264_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

jon1
Posted
Posted

this:

or this:

attachicon.gifGuard Dog.jpg

At our place in Mindanao, I had electrified spikes on a 3M wall with AC (so I wouldn't fry them), then 2 bichon frise' as watch dogs and 2 german shepherds as the finishers.. If they got thru all of that I had a 45 Colt Commander in my hand waiting to weed thru whatever came. I had the missus trained in the use of it too. Also, reloads were cheap 10cents a round. So I had ball, hollow point and teflon alternately loaded.  

But the bottom line is all of that is not a way to live. It's like being in the military and I am no longer there. So that is why I moved.

• Like 2

Fast&Furious
Posted
Posted

this:

or this:

attachicon.gifGuard Dog.jpg

At our place in Mindanao, I had electrified spikes on a 3M wall with AC (so I wouldn't fry them), then 2 bichon frise' as watch dogs and 2 german shepherds as the finishers.. If they got thru all of that I had a 45 Colt Commander in my hand waiting to weed thru whatever came. I had the missus trained in the use of it too. Also, reloads were cheap 10cents a round. So I had ball, hollow point and teflon alternately loaded.  

But the bottom line is all of that is not a way to live. It's like being in the military and I am no longer there. So that is why I moved.

Exactly. And unless your car looks like this:

http://www.defencejobs.gov.au/army/technology/bushmaster.aspx

then, what's the point of protecting your place when they can wait for you outside?

• Like 1

jon1
Posted
Posted

Heck with that... I had the neighborhood on my side also.. Nothing like a party every now and then bonds them to you.

I had an L200 Diesel Turbo'd... Completely tinted out and local tags that wouldn't associate me as a foreigner... Easy to move about without question.

But then again... YTF would I live like that???

Done with all of that and living free for now... 

• Like 1