Aussie Executed

i am bob
Posted
Posted

their are just too many murders of foreigners in the Philippines for my liking.

Everytime I think about moving there, I read this forum and I change my mind.

I believe that we have a tendency to report the negative too often without providing enough positives here.  It's better to go and make up your own mind!  You may just be surprised!

:tiphat:

• Like 2

Fast&Furious
Posted
Posted

I believe that we have a tendency to report the negative too often without providing enough positives here.  It's better to go and make up your own mind!  You may just be surprised!

well, is there any area that can be considered less risky? I like country area, peace and quiet, away from everything. Cheers

brock
Posted
Posted

Bob, Can I ask you how many times you have been to the Philippines ?

If anybody looks at any of the posts, Nearly every single one of them has negatives in them of some kind or another.

I love the Philippines and the people, But live there for good,  I don't think so, 

jon1
Posted
Posted

I think most negative posts are just venting. Frustration is the biggest part of adjusting to life over here.

For me, I like it here and won't leave any time soon. I have invested in a long term lease and am enjoying life.

I have been to the States only once in the last 6 years and that was more than enough to remind me why I left. 

• Like 4

bootleultras
Posted
Posted

Jon1 & MikeS have hit the nail on the head for me.....there will always be many differing opinons stating good or bad & that goes for whereever we are all living. The forum definitely provides some useful information for many who are commited to making the move and for those thinking of doing such. In the end it comes down to each of our own ability to adapt and accept cultures and things that are not normal for alot of westerners, many do and stick around & many dont and head back to the comfort of home. Taking precautions towards safety should always be a priority and will definitely make for a more comfortable lifestyle overall.

• Like 4

jon1
Posted
Posted (edited)

Jon1 & MikeS have hit the nail on the head for me.....there will always be many differing opinons stating good or bad & that goes for whereever we are all living. The forum definitely provides some useful information for many who are commited to making the move and for those thinking of doing such. In the end it comes down to each of our own ability to adapt and accept cultures and things that are not normal for alot of westerners, many do and stick around & many dont and head back to the comfort of home. Taking precautions towards safety should always be a priority and will definitely make for a more comfortable lifestyle overall.

I agree! If you are not flexible and want to live like you do in the states, you have no business moving here. You will incur a lot of expenses in the move and get frustrated only to go back. 

Cheaper living should not be the only reason to come here. I am not saying that you have to immerse yourself 100% but you will have to adapt. It's a different lifestyle; laid back, no hurrying, lots of complicated ways of doing things, corruption to avoid the complications, etc. etc... You can have as much or as little drama in your life as you want here. For me, I chose zero and that's what I get. I shake my damn head a lot (SMDH) but rarely vent to a local (other than my spouse). 

Keep your expectations realistic (expect things to be FUBAR when you have a local doing something for you) and you will not be disappointed as often...  

Lots of stuff gets lost in the translation. Even when they speak good english and repeat your instructions back to you. They live on a different level, MAKE DO vs. what we expect DO IT RIGHT.

Safety is always a priority. I am not saying lock yourself up but be aware of your surroundings.

Edited by jon1
  • Like 4

Jake
Posted
Posted

Excellent comments guys!  Hey Jon1.....can I borrow your phrase SMDH, I really like that!

Each one of us have our own personal reasons why we departed from our home country.  

By landing in my native land, each expat and often times your Filipina spouse need to

adjust their tolerance level and find totally different ways to adapt.  

I will not fault anyone who tried real hard but was unable to find peace and quiet that is so

necessary during our golden years.  Thanks to Tom (BossMan, JGF) our little community

of brothers in crime are willing to open up their hearts, so that others can empathize or at

least prevent any stress dealing with the Filipinos.  Thank you!

Well done my friends, well done -- respectfully, Jake (already FUBARed)

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

During his Independence Day speech, President Aquino said:  "Aggression does not run in our veins, but neither will we back down from any challenge,"

He was referring to the Chinese aggression in the Spratleys but the statement is true.  Apart from determined criminals, you are safe from most filipinos just by minding your own business and keeping a low profile.  If you like to challenge local guys, such as telling them to get to the back of the line or walking through their 'hood' like you own it, then your chances of getting shot start to go up.

So its up to you how safe you want to be.  In some countries, provoking someone to fight you is just recreation.  Here it can be life and death.

• Like 2

Daydreamer
Posted
Posted

som

My point exactly, I like to jump in with both feet sometimes it works sometimes it don't but all in all I learn a little something on the way :photo-109: :chickendance: :dance:

• Like 1