Can't Find Miss Right?

Americano
Posted
Posted

Tampo is what we call sulled up where I come from in the USA.  The difference is in the USA children sull up, in the Philippines most women still sull up sometimes.  Its like they never grew up or matured.

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted

Is it only me, but in the west when a woman is having one of these down days and it usually is that time of month, when nature calls, they will use a tampon to help them through this rather traumatic ( for them) time and here in the Phils when they get the hump, it's called a tampo. Duh :unsure:

• Like 1

Americano
Posted
Posted

Tampo reinforces the old stereotype that a women's place is in the home - bound and gagged on the living room floor!

You forgot pregnant, bare foot, and naked, so she will stay at home where a woman belongs, especially when they have a Tampo fit.  Tampo episodes are a lack of maturity in my opinion. A mature adult should be able to discuss problems instead of acting like a child who is not mature yet.

• Like 2

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted

Tampo reinforces the old stereotype that a women's place is in the home - bound and gagged on the living room floor!

You forgot pregnant, bare foot, and naked, so she will stay at home where a woman belongs.

oh you do have a way with words :lol:

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

You forgot pregnant, bare foot, and naked, so she will stay at home where a woman belongs, especially when they have a Tampo fit.  Tampo episodes are a lack of maturity in my opinion. A mature adult should be able to discuss problems instead of acting like a child who is not mature yet.

But keep in mind that almost any Filipina is far more mature than almost any Filipino.

• Like 2

Americano
Posted
Posted

But keep in mind that almost any Filipina is far more mature than almost any Filipino.

You may be right about that and its why some Filipino males get offended easily and want to fight. Some people call it loosing face but I just see it as lack of maturity.

• Like 4

Methersgate
Posted
Posted
You may be right about that and its why some Filipino males get offended easily and want to fight. Some people call it loosing face but I just see it as lack of maturity.

It is a desperate sense of insecurity and lack of self esteem, a "cultural cringe" of the worst type, added to having been spoiled all their lives - first by their mothers, then by their sisters, who are expected to treat their brother as something quite wonderful. Most Filipino males are shockingly immature by any western standard.
  • Like 3

Americano
Posted
Posted

It is a desperate sense of insecurity and lack of self esteem, a "cultural cringe" of the worst type, added to having been spoiled all their lives - first by their mothers, then by their sisters, who are expected to treat their brother as something quite wonderful. Most Filipino males are shockingly immature by any western standard.

Wow, that's a very good description of Filipino males.  Its the best one I have ever heard and spot on as some would say.

• Like 1

Methersgate
Posted
Posted (edited)

I would like to give an example from the very top of Filipino society, to illustrate how general this is (there are of course many exceptions - including several friends of mine).

Some years ago, around 1996, it happened that a British warship was visiting Manila and it happened that a couple of US warships were in port as well.

There was a sort of "three line whip" as we say - a "requirement"  that any Manila resident Brits who owned a suit and tie and were not broken down by age and sex  should report alongside at 6.00 pm, because the Commanding Officer was giving a cocktail party.

This was the sort of event that Navies do extremely well.

I was one of those present, shoes shined, shirt starched, spotless...Also there was Janet Clemo, the wife of Freddie Clemo and a perfect example of an "English Rose" . Janet has lived in Manila since she was a little girl; he closest friend is Filipina. She was chatting to a member of the Ramos Cabinet, whom she knew, when she needed to look in her handbag for a business card - so, needing to use both hands, she handed her glass to the politician to hold for her. By the time she looked up, moments later, he had given it to an aide - he could not be seen holding a glass for a woman. As she said afterwards, "How fragile a personality was that!"

Edited by Methersgate
  • Like 2

Coffeehound
Posted
Posted

Bless them, as I can clearly see where tampo has a place in Filipino culture. It is far too common for a wife to be treated as a maid, cook, sex slave, all-round gofer, and punching bag. Add their intent to avoid confrontation and save face, and a passive aggressive response like tampo may well be suitable. Does drive us nuts don't it?

One sis-in-law used to be a professional actress on their soaps! I can testify as to being a drama queen also seems to come far too naturally. But... Tampo may well protect a lot of young women from a beating and being left to raise 4 kids alone - not that we have ever seen that!

• Like 3