Can't Find Miss Right?

Miguk
Posted
Posted

What is a Tampo?

Tampo is when a filipina gets upset about something and gives you the silent treatment. Often you have no clue why. It can last for a few hours to more than a day.

tumblr_lduuza8Ibu1qa6o73o1_500.jpg

"Tampo", by Juan Luna, painted about 1900 or so - Luna was imho the greatest painter the Philippines has produced - pity he murdered his wife, but she was being unfaithful to him so he got away with it.

The lady is having a tampo and her lover is applying the correct treatment - lambing or aamuin - gently cajoling her out of it.

This is hard for us to do - my reaction, nine times out of ten, is to treat the tampo as a sulk and proceed to lose my rag. This is incorrect

The French also considered Filipinos barbarians who couldn't control the base animal passions....guess that is as good a defense as any!

I detest tampo and you could drive yourself to distraction trying to figure out what you did wrong.  I have cajoled my wife so much about it that she has gone to the other extreme!  Sometimes I now wish she would throw a tampo hahaha.

• Like 2

Miguk
Posted
Posted

You may be right about that and its why some Filipino males get offended easily and want to fight. Some people call it loosing face but I just see it as lack of maturity.

It is a desperate sense of insecurity and lack of self esteem, a "cultural cringe" of the worst type, added to having been spoiled all their lives - first by their mothers, then by their sisters, who are expected to treat their brother as something quite wonderful. Most Filipino males are shockingly immature by any western standard.

Oh so well put.  I spent 25 years in the U.S. Navy (which many Filipinos aspired to join) and you can't imagine how entitled some of them were.  When you start out at the bottom there are some unpleasant thing you have to do.....everyone has to do them, but they couldn't wrap there heads around the idea that now it was their turn!  I got sick of their whining and told them Nanay/Ate/yaya/katulong aren't here anymore!

• Like 2

Miguk
Posted
Posted
One sis-in-law used to be a professional actress on their soaps! I can testify as to being a drama queen also seems to come far too naturally.

I have noticed that Pinays seem to thrive on drama and controversy.  If everything is quiet, everything is fine, it is as if they purposely start or seek out something.  Does anyone have this going on?  As if they need some misdeed or some ugly situation to gossip and complain about. :89:  

• Like 1

Americano
Posted
Posted

I hate all of those drama TV shows in the Philippines where everyone is upset about something and crying. It seems like most Filipinos like to have something to cry about. My wife knows how much I hate those shows so she never watches them.

• Like 1

El Negrito
Posted
Posted

I hate all of those drama TV shows in the Philippines where everyone is upset about something and crying. It seems like most Filipinos like to have something to cry about. My wife knows how much I hate those shows so she never watches them.

Sounds just like the telanovelas here in Mexicos and soap operas in the states. That is not drama that is just junk TV. I hate them too.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Sounds just like the telanovelas here in Mexicos and soap operas in the states. That is not drama that is just junk TV. I hate them too.

LOL! I was waiting for that answer. So true!

• Like 1

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

The Mexican telenovela "Marimar" was insanely popular in the Philippines, and started a trend...

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
My wife knows how much I hate those shows so she never watches them.

SAO (Short Angry One for our newer members) loves them, I normally go and do the dishes, get my nerd on, or hammer nails into my head when she's watching them (no, I'm not a fan either).

• Like 3

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

The Mexican telenovela "Marimar" was insanely popular in the Philippines, and started a trend...

And then my fellow Filipinos invented the good guy and the contravida (villain) with popular names of:

MAR-MAR, BONG-BONG and JUN-JUN.  They have the ability to survive multiple hits while they're still

shooting their Armarlite and scooping up the Pinays in distress.  And the crowd goes wild.  Talk about

the level of social maturity -- look at Oh Wow, Wee and how the locals really love it.  

The Philippines have produced so many drama queens: Imelda, Gloria (who invented the trendy neck

brace and wheelchair), Napoles (pork barrel queen) and supreme court justice Corona -- they all have

that original Filipino style of self pity, without remorse and plenty of dramatic crocodile tears.   

Finding Mrs Right in that social environment where such behavior is acceptable needs a lot of time and

a lot of work and patience.  Thank god, there are still plenty of presh pish.......he, he.

Edited by Jake
spil chek
  • Like 5

earthdome
Posted
Posted

My wife knows how much I hate those shows so she never watches them.

SAO (Short Angry One for our newer members) loves them, I normally go and do the dishes, get my nerd on, or hammer nails into my head when she's watching them (no, I'm not a fan either).

Yeah, I do the same. I can watch the occasional filipino movie and often can pickup enough words and context to follow the movie. Comedy's are better since humor can be visual also. Good thing my wife likes american action movies. Though I really don't care for action movies with little plot are characters with depth.

• Like 3