Can't Find Miss Right?

Jake
Posted
Posted

Hey guys,

Whether that Filipina characteristic is part of finding Miss Right, to each their own.  Being humble, shy or timid should

not necessarily mean being tampo.  Many Christian Pinays also worship Mother Mary and what she stood for.  To suffer

in silence, to be humble without rocking the boat even though she may be steaming inside, was taught to them at an

early age from their mother.  

I prefer a Filipina woman to be more affirmative and not just another pretty face.  To speak her mind, put everything

on the table and work out the issues before they get more serious.  Es sup to you can invite more controversy and

back and forth bickering.  Likewise, your wife or GF being tampo does not necessarily mean she's mad or sad about

you.  Could be a million reasons......you just have to stay out of ground zero for awhile......he, he.  

Good boy ako........ 

• Like 5

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

Bless them, as I can clearly see where tampo has a place in Filipino culture. It is far too common for a wife to be treated as a maid, cook, sex slave, all-round gofer, and punching bag. Add their intent to avoid confrontation and save face, and a passive aggressive response like tampo may well be suitable. Does drive us nuts don't it?

One sis-in-law used to be a professional actress on their soaps! I can testify as to being a drama queen also seems to come far too naturally. But... Tampo may well protect a lot of young women from a beating and being left to raise 4 kids alone - not that we have ever seen that!

Suddenly, I see the point of it. Thank you!

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I would like to give an example from the very top of Filipino society, to illustrate how general this is (there are of course many exceptions - including several friends of mine).

Some years ago, around 1996, it happened that a British warship was visiting Manila and it happened that a couple of US warships were in port as well.

There was a sort of "three line whip" as we say - a "requirement"  that any Manila resident Brits who owned a suit and tie and were not broken down by age and sex  should report alongside at 6.00 pm, because the Commanding Officer was giving a cocktail party.

This was the sort of event that Navies do extremely well.

I was one of those present, shoes shined, shirt starched, spotless...Also there was Janet Clemo, the wife of Freddie Clemo and a perfect example of an "English Rose" . Janet has lived in Manila since she was a little girl; he closest friend is Filipina. She was chatting to a member of the Ramos Cabinet, whom she knew, when she needed to look in her handbag for a business card - so, needing to use both hands, she handed her glass to the politician to hold for her. By the time she looked up, moments later, he had given it to an aide - he could not be seen holding a glass for a woman. As she said afterwards, "How fragile a personality was that!"

Take it from one who has attended numerous cocktail parties with Naval Protocols...  When a lady hands a glass to a gentleman and does not speak further, it is to be assumed that the lady has finished with her drink.  1930s protocols and still those followed today.  Perhaps the lady was not familiar with what she was inferring when she misspoke?

Incidentally, I think the best example of the above situation was a junior member of the American congress (if I remember correctly) handed Brian Mulrooney (the Canadian Prime Minister) her glass before walking away at some gala event.  She had no idea who he was.

:tiphat:  :mocking:

• Like 1

Methersgate
Posted
Posted
I prefer a Filipina woman to be more affirmative and not just another pretty face.  To speak her mind, put everything on the table and work out the issues before they get more serious.

That's certainly what I've got, and I like it this way.

If she starts saying things like "It's up to you!" I become very worried indeed. It is a sign that something is seriously wrong!

• Like 1

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

I would like to give an example from the very top of Filipino society, to illustrate how general this is (there are of course many exceptions - including several friends of mine).

Some years ago, around 1996, it happened that a British warship was visiting Manila and it happened that a couple of US warships were in port as well.

There was a sort of "three line whip" as we say - a "requirement"  that any Manila resident Brits who owned a suit and tie and were not broken down by age and sex  should report alongside at 6.00 pm, because the Commanding Officer was giving a cocktail party.

I was one of those present, shoes shined, shirt starched, spotless...Also there was Janet Clemo, the wife of Freddie Clemo and a perfect example of an "English Rose" . Janet has lived in Manila since she was a little girl; he closest friend is Filipina. She was chatting to a member of the Ramos Cabinet, whom she knew, when she needed to look in her handbag for a business card - so, needing to use both hands, she handed her glass to the politician to hold for her. By the time she looked up, moments later, he had given it to an aide - he could not be seen holding a glass for a woman. As she said afterwards, "How fragile a personality was that!"

Take it from one who has attended numerous cocktail parties with Naval Protocols...  When a lady hands a glass to a gentleman and does not speak further, it is to be assumed that the lady has finished with her drink.  1930s protocols and still those followed today.  Perhaps the lady was not familiar with what she was inferring when she misspoke?

Incidentally, I think the best example of the above situation was a junior member of the American congress (if I remember correctly) handed Brian Mulrooney (the Canadian Prime Minister) her glass before walking away at some gala event.  She had no idea who he was.

I think we are at cross purposes; the lady in question is perfectly familiar with protocol ( she was the daughter of the British Head of Shell Philippines, her lifelong best friend is Isobel Wilson, the Philippines' Ambassador to the Kingdom of Spain) and she had not finished speaking to the Minister, she was simply wanting to give her card to one of his entourage who had not met her before. 

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I think we are at cross purposes; the lady in question is perfectly familiar with protocol ( she was the daughter of the British Head of Shell Philippines, her lifelong best friend is Isobel Wilson, the Philippines' Ambassador to the Kingdom of Spain) and she had not finished speaking to the Minister, she was simply wanting to give her card to one of his entourage who had not met her before. 

Still, proper protocol is that she ask the gentleman to hold her glass for her, not just hand it to him.  It was her error.

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

But she did!

i am bob
Posted
Posted

But she did!

Ah, but you didn't say that before - just that she handed the glass to him.

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

But she did!

Ah, but you didn't say that before - just that she handed the glass to him.

yes; I could have explained it better

Americano
Posted
Posted

"he could not be seen holding a glass for a woman. As she said afterwards, "How fragile a personality was that!" 

She could have been correct but if he was a Muslim then a woman would be too far beneath him to look like her servant.