Race?

Methersgate
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hey guys, thanks for the replies. Honestly I tried to change the name but the forum said I can't until that date. I want to change it to El Negrito now.

JP it is funny about changing to BM. I mean think about it man!  :hystery: I am full of crap but I really don't want to be known as a BM.  :hystery:

Don't  change it! You should know that you are named after East Asia's most popular toothpaste!

darkie.jpg

It was originally made in Shanghai in 1933 and later in Hong Kong and in Taiwan where it is the leading brand.

The original makers were Hawley and Hazel, an American owned company set up in Shanghai and later in Hong Kong, You can guess the original English name of course.

In 1985 Hawley and Hazel were bought by Colgate-Palmolive, and in 1990 Somebody Finally Noticed... the English name was changed but the Chinese name remains:

黑人牙膏

黑  Hei - Black  

人  Ren - Man

牙  Ya - Tooth

膏 Gao -Paste

There was even an advertising campaign, run in China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Malaysia and Vietnam, entirely in the Chinese language, assuring loyal customers that hēirén yágāo was still hēirén yágāo!

It has 75 percent of the market in Taiwan, 50 percent in Singapore, 30 percent in Malaysia and Hong Kong and 20 percent in Thailand.Colgate don't market it outside those countries and China, but I am pretty sure I have seen it in the Philippines.[

Edited by Methersgate
  • Like 5

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Done. Your login name is the same, only the display name is changed.

• Like 5

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)

In Subic Bay and other parts of of Luzon the indigenous people are the Aeta and they have physical features similar to Africans, with one big difference:  They are tiny!  They are often respectfully called Negritos and that probably comes from the Spanish era.

I was really surprised to read in Wiki that their life expectancy is very short!  It almost seems that it might be incorrect!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aeta

Edited by OnMyWay
  • Like 2

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

And as Deng Xiaopeng used to say:

不管黑猫白猫,捉到老鼠就是好猫。

Bùguǎn hēi māo bái māo, zhuō dào lǎoshǔ jiùshì hǎo māo.

No matter black cat white cat, if catches mouse it is good cat

• Like 4

Brucewayne
Posted
Posted

Hello BlackMan,

All of the comments above are head shot bulls eye!  It's all up to you how they want to perceive or to pre-judge you.

You are apparently well educated, well travelled (Ukraine and Mexico!) and can think on your feet.  Your background

in law enforcement and medical emergencies will also dazzle the Filipino males.  Often times, you need those allies

to take care of their Kuya (big brother) and make him feel welcome.  Perhaps an introduction to their sisters....he, he.

There's one more thing that I would like to point out.  I was wondering if you could choose another display name.  It

kind of makes me feel awkward addressing you as Blackman.  I'm Filipino, so Brownman being applied to me would

be a little demeaning and definitely less personal for me.  But it's all up to you, OK?

Respectfully -- Jake

Thanks Jake. Great advice. Just for the record there is a story behind the name that might make you chuckle. I am a HUGE Batman fan. When the first, I mean Michael Keaton, Batman came out I was about 19, I had seen it once before. I was in line to see it again and joking with a bunch of friends, not paying attention and being a goof.

I bumped into this huge guy in front of me and he asked me, a regular sized black dude in the middle of small town Canada "Who the hell do you think you are?!" Remembering the line from the movie I just looked at him and said "I'm Blackman." Well my friends and the offended big guy all ended up laughing and it was a good time at the movies. All that said I prefer to put others feelings ahead of my own so I will change my name and I do understand your reasoning. Sorry about that

I had the name before Batman did.

• Like 2

Brucewayne
Posted
Posted
Black" is not a word we can use anymore in the UK

Too bad the U.S. still calls Native Americans "Indians" with complete disregard to the fact that none of us are from India and the name was actually laid upon the people as an insult to their color.

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

El Negrito My friend, I am Impressed, 283 Views and 36 Replies to a 1st real Topic.

Methinks you will go far here, looking Forward, to your next Blockbuster.

JP :tiphat:  Good Night All, Daughter needs the keyboard and Printer ( Junior, Her that must be Obeyed has spoken) :hystery:

:cheers:  Beer time again so Off I go :rolleyes:  hmmmmmmmmmm What a drag :dance:

• Like 4

Jake
Posted
Posted

If you really want to change it we can do so.

yes I'd like to keep things peaceful but light. So does El Negrito work?

Works for me......besides, it's directly related to the Philippines' indigenous people and the name El Negrito

not only has a humorous ring to it but also show respect for fellow humans, no matter what color or culture.  

My wife Judy calls me pangit all the time, to be follow by those rapid fire P words.  But that labelling of me is

a term of endearment......well, most of the time I think.  

Anyway, here is another video to motivate you about wonderful relationships in the Philippines:

• Like 3

Papa Carl
Posted
Posted

Welcome to the forum. Having lived 12 years in London Ontario, and did my amateur boxing between Kitchener-Waterloo and Windsor, I am surprised at how many members are from this area of Ontario.

Boxing was one of those life changers for me, helped me sort out my life, even boxed Lennox Lewis in St. Thomas as an amateur, lost of course, but not as badly as when I fought a guy smaller than myself from Detroit, can't remember his name now, but remember his face was full of scars and remember someone telling me he was from the streets of Detroit, which might explain why he "kicked my a??" so badly!

You will find the members here a great bunch, with some very sound advice.

Great first post by the way, good response from many different members.

Papa Carl

• Like 3