Race?

El Negrito
Posted
Posted

Hey guys, thanks for the replies. Honestly I tried to change the name but the forum said I can't until that date. I want to change it to El Negrito now.

JP it is funny about changing to BM. I mean think about it man!  :hystery: I am full of crap but I really don't want to be known as a BM.  :hystery:

Don't  change it! You should know that you are named after East Asia's most popular toothpaste!

darkie.jpg

It was originally made in Shanghai in 1933 and later in Hong Kong and in Taiwan where it is the leading brand.

The original makers were Hawley and Hazel, an American owned company set up in Shanghai and later in Hong Kong, You can guess the original English name of course.

In 1985 Hawley and Hazel were bought by Colgate-Palmolive, and in 1990 Somebody Finally Noticed... the English name was changed but the Chinese name remains:

黑人牙膏

黑  Hei - Black  

人  Ren - Man

牙  Ya - Tooth

膏 Gao -Paste

There was even an advertising campaign, run in China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Malaysia and Vietnam, entirely in the Chinese language, assuring loyal customers that hēirén yágāo was still hēirén yágāo!

It has 75 percent of the market in Taiwan, 50 percent in Singapore, 30 percent in Malaysia and Hong Kong and 20 percent in Thailand.Colgate don't market it outside those countries and China, but I am pretty sure I have seen it in the Philippines.[

Wow that is crazy!

Some similar products here in Mexico!

Done. Your login name is the same, only the display name is changed.

Thanks!

• Like 1

El Negrito
Posted
Posted

Hello BlackMan,

All of the comments above are head shot bulls eye!  It's all up to you how they want to perceive or to pre-judge you.

You are apparently well educated, well travelled (Ukraine and Mexico!) and can think on your feet.  Your background

in law enforcement and medical emergencies will also dazzle the Filipino males.  Often times, you need those allies

to take care of their Kuya (big brother) and make him feel welcome.  Perhaps an introduction to their sisters....he, he.

There's one more thing that I would like to point out.  I was wondering if you could choose another display name.  It

kind of makes me feel awkward addressing you as Blackman.  I'm Filipino, so Brownman being applied to me would

be a little demeaning and definitely less personal for me.  But it's all up to you, OK?

Respectfully -- Jake

Thanks Jake. Great advice. Just for the record there is a story behind the name that might make you chuckle. I am a HUGE Batman fan. When the first, I mean Michael Keaton, Batman came out I was about 19, I had seen it once before. I was in line to see it again and joking with a bunch of friends, not paying attention and being a goof.

I bumped into this huge guy in front of me and he asked me, a regular sized black dude in the middle of small town Canada "Who the hell do you think you are?!" Remembering the line from the movie I just looked at him and said "I'm Blackman." Well my friends and the offended big guy all ended up laughing and it was a good time at the movies. All that said I prefer to put others feelings ahead of my own so I will change my name and I do understand your reasoning. Sorry about that

I had the name before Batman did.

Before 1939?

Thanks! You guys are great!

I am actually a dual citizen of the US and Canada. Mom is Canadian and Dad is American. So I have 2 passports and the whole she-bang. Most of my life that has worked as a plus for travel and such but for the most part I use my US passport for travel. Little bit of a strange dynamic though because even though I grew up in Canada I actually prefer the US and have mostly American or Mexican friends and worked most of my life in the US.

However being Canadian has left me with characteristics like a different accent and behaviors that others have resulted in interesting comments such as "You don't sound black" or "You are the whitest black man I know". LOL Of course all this said in good fun and it's probably true!  :lol:  That said I ride the good stereo types as far as I can too!

Anyway, not to disrespect anyone but, I am not a "gangsta" or "thug" type, my parents never tolerated that. I was well educated and taught to be well spoken and polite. I still like basketball and even some rap but, I also like country, heavy metal, alternative and even NASCAR. I am also well traveled and cultured. I speak Spanish enough to get by and even have learned Russian and to a lesser extent Czech enough to get by when I was either visiting or living in those countries. I ALWAYS do my best to treat ladies, children and the elderly with respect.

So according to your comments and observations I should be an interesting exception to some stereo types. You guys have really provided so much information for me to think about in your 2 brief comments that I am astounded. Please everyone keep the thoughts and comments coming. And I am not thin skinned so please don't worry about something you say being perceived by me as negative or possibly offending me. Thanks everyone!  :thumbsup:

Welcome El, I,m from Sarnia very close to your home town as you know. I have found that the darker your skin the more they think you are poor as they think you had to work sh&tty jobs out in the sun all day. Thats why I try to always have a tan so they think i am poor just like them

Hey, yeah Sarnia was only about 2 hours away or so, cool! I have heard they equate darker skin with being poor. Just wondering if they do the same for foreigners. But more importantly is I was wondering if women and their families shy away from black people more?

El Negrito My friend, I am Impressed, 283 Views and 36 Replies to a 1st real Topic.

Methinks you will go far here, looking Forward, to your next Blockbuster.

JP :tiphat:  Good Night All, Daughter needs the keyboard and Printer ( Junior, Her that must be Obeyed has spoken) :hystery:

:cheers:  Beer time again so Off I go :rolleyes:  hmmmmmmmmmm What a drag :dance:

I am shocked myself! Hope to contribute interesting and informative material and subjects when I can.  :thumbsup:

If you really want to change it we can do so.

yes I'd like to keep things peaceful but light. So does El Negrito work?

Works for me......besides, it's directly related to the Philippines' indigenous people and the name El Negrito

not only has a humorous ring to it but also show respect for fellow humans, no matter what color or culture.  

My wife Judy calls me pangit all the time, to be follow by those rapid fire P words.  But that labelling of me is

a term of endearment......well, most of the time I think.  

Anyway, here is another video to motivate you about wonderful relationships in the Philippines:

Thanks Jake. I did see that YouTube video before and it was one of the things that got me thinking.

Welcome to the forum. Having lived 12 years in London Ontario, and did my amateur boxing between Kitchener-Waterloo and Windsor, I am surprised at how many members are from this area of Ontario.

Boxing was one of those life changers for me, helped me sort out my life, even boxed Lennox Lewis in St. Thomas as an amateur, lost of course, but not as badly as when I fought a guy smaller than myself from Detroit, can't remember his name now, but remember his face was full of scars and remember someone telling me he was from the streets of Detroit, which might explain why he "kicked my a??" so badly!

You will find the members here a great bunch, with some very sound advice.

Great first post by the way, good response from many different members.

Papa Carl

Hey Carl, been to all those places many times. Nice to see people from around my home area here! My dad is from Detroit and use to box when he was in the army. Would be ironic if it was him you fought!  :hystery:

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I gotta admit...   I have been scanning through this thread at high speed when I get the chance to catch up to the forum this weekend...  So I don't remember if I welcomed you in or not!  So, from another Canadian (the better? end of the lake - Niagara Falls), welcome to the forum!

And I gotta admit another one...  Sometimes I can be soooo dumb!  Every time I see the title of the post, I first wonder what cars they are running on the track?!

:1 (103):  :mocking:   :welcome:

• Like 2

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

I may have missed it, but I don't think anyone has yet mentioned Loida Nicholas Lewis, multi-millionaire, businesswoman, political activist and of course the Filipina-born widow of Reginald Lewis.

As in "Why should white guys have all the fun?"

THAT Reginald Lewis - self made black billionaire. Yes he married a Filipina who became his business partner.

Loida Nicholas Lewis is extremely well known and, thanks to her charitable and political work much admired, in the Philippine ; she is the poster girl for "marry a black American!" 

• Like 2

El Negrito
Posted
Posted

I gotta admit...   I have been scanning through this thread at high speed when I get the chance to catch up to the forum this weekend...  So I don't remember if I welcomed you in or not!  So, from another Canadian (the better? end of the lake - Niagara Falls), welcome to the forum!

And I gotta admit another one...  Sometimes I can be soooo dumb!  Every time I see the title of the post, I first wonder what cars they are running on the track?!

:1 (103):  :mocking:   :welcome:

Thanks for the welcome!  :thumbsup:

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
Before 1939?

Hmmm Good question.  Ol' Bruce Wayne's got the look . . .  :hystery:   But seriously, I bet our BW was born 15 years after that . . just a guess though.  Did I hit the mark BW?

Edit:  For those who don't know him, Brucewayne is actually his real name.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 1

El Negrito
Posted
Posted

Before 1939?

Hmmm Good question.  Ol' Bruce Wayne's got the look . . .  :hystery:   But seriously, I bet our BW was born 15 years after that . . just a guess though.  Did I hit the mark BW?

Hehe. Still heck of a cool name though. If he wasn't the first he would be the first outside the comic to use it!  :lol:

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Before 1939?

Edit:  For those who don't know him, Brucewayne is actually his real name.

Phew!  For a moment there, I thought Adam West was a member of the forum!!!

:unsure:  :mocking:

Americano
Posted
Posted (edited)

Welcome to the forum.  Its always nice to have new members regardless of their race or color or if they are rich or poor. The person's character is what's important.

On the subject of race I have a few things to say.  Some of the old Filipinos still don't like Japanese because of what they did in the Philippines during WWII. For example my wife's grandmother saw a Japanese soldier toss a Filipino baby into the air and stab it with the bonnet on his rifle. Many old Filipinos still hate the Japanese but the younger people don't know anything about the war so they don't have any bad feelings towards them.  Now, the Chinese are trying to take over islands which are within the Philippine's 200 mile economic zone so many Filipinos are beginning to dislike Chinese. The black people or people from Africa haven't done anything to Filipinos so they don't have any reason to dislike you, but as my wife has told me, some Filipinos think black people are mean because of their roles in movies, which you can very easily prove wrong.

In want to repeat what others have said about what you may be called here. Because you are a black man from another country some may call you negro or the other word which I assume we are not allow to say here, but they do not mean anything bad by using that word. And they don't know its an offensive word in some countries. My wife told me that she never heard that word until her teach at school was teaching them about people from other countries. The point is, if someone calls you one of those names don't be offended. The are not trying to offend you.  Its just the only name they know to call you.  But if you are offended, get mad and aggressive then you may get into a fight with Filipino men who will not tolerate any aggression towards them or the females who are present. If you are always kind and especially if you have a smile on your face most Filipinos will really like you. My suggestion is, if someone you will be around regularly calls you a name that you don't like then tell them what you would like to be called. I'm sure they will listen and appreciate you helping them to address you in a better way.

During the 4 years and 8 months I have been living in the Philippines I have seen several black men but only in shopping malls in other cities. I didn't speak to them but they looked like they were happy.

I had one very good friend in Carcar City who is a black man from the UK. He looks just look the movie actor Wesley Snips and I think he sounds like him too. I really enjoyed talking to him. One day we went to a beach together for a picnic and swimming. He's a very nice person. He is married to a Filipina and has a baby.  He had a business in Carcar selling meat and he had 2 fishing boats and my wife and I were planning to go riding with him but after the big Typhoon last year and the Earth Quake on Bohol where some of his friends live he decided to go back to the UK. I really miss him.  His name is Vino in case any of you know him.  Someone called him a negro at the picnic. He didn't show any reaction and my wife corrected the person who said it so there was no problem.

I hope this helps.

Edited by Americano
  • Like 3

El Negrito
Posted
Posted

Welcome to the forum.  Its always nice to have new members regardless of their race or color or if they are rich or poor. The person's character is what's important.

On the subject of race I have a few things to say.  Some of the old Filipinos still don't like Japanese because of what they did in the Philippines during WWII. For example my wife's grandmother saw a Japanese soldier toss a Filipino baby into the air and stab it with the bonnet on his rifle. Many old Filipinos still hate the Japanese but the younger people don't know anything about the war so they don't have any bad feelings towards them.  Now, the Chinese are trying to take over islands which are within the Philippine's 200 mile economic zone so many Filipinos are beginning to dislike Chinese. The black people or people from Africa haven't done anything to Filipinos so they don't have any reason to dislike you, but as my wife has told me, some Filipinos think black people are mean because of their roles in movies, which you can very easily prove wrong.

In want to repeat what others have said about what you may be called here. Because you are a black man from another country some may call you negro or the other word which I assume we are not allow to say here, but they do not mean anything bad by using that word. And they don't know its an offensive word in some countries. My wife told me that she never heard that word until her teach at school was teaching them about people from other countries. The point is, if someone calls you one of those names don't be offended. The are not trying to offend you.  Its just the only name they know to call you.  But if you are offended, get mad and aggressive then you may get into a fight with Filipino men who will not tolerate any aggression towards them or the females who are present. If you are always kind and especially if you have a smile on your face most Filipinos will really like you. My suggestion is, if someone you will be around regularly calls you a name that you don't like then tell them what you would like to be called. I'm sure they will listen and appreciate you helping them to address you in a better way.

During the 4 years and 8 months I have been living in the Philippines I have seen several black men but only in shopping malls in other cities. I didn't speak to them but they looked like they were happy.

I had one very good friend in Carcar City who is a black man from the UK. He looks just look the movie actor Wesley Snips and I think he sounds like him too. I really enjoyed talking to him. One day we went to a beach together for a picnic and swimming. He's a very nice person. He is married to a Filipina and has a baby.  He had a business in Carcar selling meat and he had 2 fishing boats and my wife and I were planning to go riding with him but after the big Typhoon last year and the Earth Quake on Bohol where some of his friends live he decided to go back to the UK. I really miss him.  His name is Vino in case any of you know him.  Someone called him a negro at the picnic. He didn't show any reaction and my wife corrected the person who said it so there was no problem.

I hope this helps.

Thanks so much Americano, this definitely helps. I have never been one to take offense to what people call me. I have traveled and understand there are different terms used in different countries so no worries. Even in the western world I have lots of friends that joke with some terms others would be offended at but they just joke with me because I am their friend and I joke back at them, no harm no foul.

Just to clarify I was more thinking of if the ladies are attracted to black men.

• Like 2