Race?

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

I will pass on the observations of my sister in law on this subject.

She is a Filipina; rather a smart and hard working one.

She says that, when a Filipina is looking at a foreigner, "The main thing is money. "Has he got money?" That is the big question. Next is appearance - "is he fit, gwapo (good looking, handsome) macho? Does he dress well?" Next is character - "will he be reliable? Will he take care of me and my family?"

And that, gentlemen, is from a Filipina, age 35, and smart.

You will notice that "character" comes some way after "appearance" and a LOONG way after "money".  

• Like 3

El Negrito
Posted
Posted (edited)

I will pass on the observations of my sister in law on this subject.

She is a Filipina; rather a smart and hard working one.

She says that, when a Filipina is looking at a foreigner, "The main thing is money. "Has he got money?" That is the big question. Next is appearance - "is he fit, gwapo (good looking, handsome) macho? Does he dress well?" Next is character - "will he be reliable? Will he take care of me and my family?"

And that, gentlemen, is from a Filipina, age 35, and smart.

You will notice that "character" comes some way after "appearance" and a LOONG way after "money".  

Well I am not rich but I have always had a decent job that pays the bills and I am not a slob as far as looks. I will post an avatar now.

PS I posted the avatar but it doesn't show much. I can post more for better assessment if needed.

Edited by El Negrito
  • Like 3

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

That will do nicely! I foresee no problems for you in surrounding yourself with Filipina lovelies (and that's before you post an avatar!)

• Like 3

El Negrito
Posted
Posted

LOL Thanks man! Wait...are you hitting on me?!  :mocking:  :hystery:

Just joking of course!  :hystery:

• Like 3

Methersgate
Posted
Posted (edited)

In a word, old chap, no... and no I don't see a problem.  

The more you look like the richest foreigner who ever married a Filipina:

NOV87-COVER-REGINALD-LEWIS-300x232.jpg

the better!  :thumbsup:

Edited by Methersgate
  • Like 1

El Negrito
Posted
Posted

In a word, old chap, no... and no I don't see a problem.  

The more you look like the richest foreigner who ever married a Filipina:

NOV87-COVER-REGINALD-LEWIS-300x232.jpg

the better!  :thumbsup:

Of course just kidding! You know us Canadians have a weird blend of UK and US humor! :hystery:  Thanks for the compliment too by the way! Now if only I had his money on top of every thing, that would be GREAT!  :thumbsup:

• Like 3

intrepid
Posted
Posted

El Negrito,
I have been following this thread since the start and have to admit I really am proud of my friends and company here.  One of the nice things about this forum is how great everyone gets along and the information they have gained over the years and willing to share.
Although I am just a simple old dumb white boy from the country I have many friends and family of all colors and races.  Even my brother-in-law, sisters husband, is from Ghana. Yes African and black. 
But after seeing your picture I decided to share a little more.  You resemble my wife's uncle and could easily pass for his brother if not his twin brother.  He lives in Cebu.  Anyway you know the Philippines is just about a large melting pot of races like the US or most other countries these days.
So this is what I'll share.  My wife's grandfather was from Jamaica.  He was a dark black skinned man.  He had been working on a ship transporting sugar in the early 1900s and after seeing the Philippines ladies, after several trips, decided to jump ship and stay in San Carlos City Negros and never leave.  He out lived three wives and had many(?) children.  Some black and some white.  He had no problems finding women who liked dark skin men.   Even my wife who has fair skin, she has brothers and sisters who are very dark!  I was really amazed on my early visits to the Philippines and still am sometimes when I see the interaction of the locals.  Skin color means very little to them for the most part.  One exception as someone here already mentioned is like my wife has told me.  They think a local person with dark tanned skin to be poor farmer or fisherman from too much sun.  In the past she didn't even like me to get a tan.  I have noticed little to no discrimination or prejudice in the Philippines.  In fact, when my wife was first coming to the US I told her to maybe expect some here.  She didn't even know those words.  I had to explain it to her.
Best of luck and enjoy the islands.  Just take it slow!

• Like 4

Brucewayne
Posted
Posted
Before 1939?

Okay, then before most of us knew there was a Batman.

I didn't know anything about him before the 60's.

Farming villages didn't offer much in the way of entertainment back then.

• Like 1

El Negrito
Posted
Posted

El Negrito,

I have been following this thread since the start and have to admit I really am proud of my friends and company here.  One of the nice things about this forum is how great everyone gets along and the information they have gained over the years and willing to share.

Although I am just a simple old dumb white boy from the country I have many friends and family of all colors and races.  Even my brother-in-law, sisters husband, is from Ghana. Yes African and black. 

But after seeing your picture I decided to share a little more.  You resemble my wife's uncle and could easily pass for his brother if not his twin brother.  He lives in Cebu.  Anyway you know the Philippines is just about a large melting pot of races like the US or most other countries these days.

So this is what I'll share.  My wife's grandfather was from Jamaica.  He was a dark black skinned man.  He had been working on a ship transporting sugar in the early 1900s and after seeing the Philippines ladies, after several trips, decided to jump ship and stay in San Carlos City Negros and never leave.  He out lived three wives and had many(?) children.  Some black and some white.  He had no problems finding women who liked dark skin men.   Even my wife who has fair skin, she has brothers and sisters who are very dark!  I was really amazed on my early visits to the Philippines and still am sometimes when I see the interaction of the locals.  Skin color means very little to them for the most part.  One exception as someone here already mentioned is like my wife has told me.  They think a local person with dark tanned skin to be poor farmer or fisherman from too much sun.  In the past she didn't even like me to get a tan.  I have noticed little to no discrimination or prejudice in the Philippines.  In fact, when my wife was first coming to the US I told her to maybe expect some here.  She didn't even know those words.  I had to explain it to her.

Best of luck and enjoy the islands.  Just take it slow!

Thanks for the awesome insights and observations Intrepid! Very helpful!

• Like 1

intrepid
Posted
Posted

Jake,

I sent you a PM.

• Like 1