Noisy Neighbours

RBM
Posted
Posted

Does anyone know if the high rise condos have the same noise problems.  This thread is making me rethink my desire to retire in the Philippines.  Maybe Belize would be a better option.

Komments if your decision is to up and move here your sure gona be prepared. From my personal experience and others, it's real tough to find a peaceful haven. Having lived in condos and apartments sadly have never found quietness except in short bursts.

On the positive side when we experience these little bursts....wow it's super, so appreciated. From roosters to dogs to karaoke it's all here....everywhere...ever time of day or night.

At least if your with a Filipina chances are she will sleep right through it with a worry....this while you lay wondering if it will ever stop.....

On a serious note, at times apartments do come up where the ex pat is preferred, more often than not the complex is owned by an expats wife. I have a friend renting one in Dauin, has pretty much peace, still the odd rooster and dog just to remind one where he is.

Alby
Posted
Posted

My previous condo was facing a vast but private land so it was quite. However, my current one is very noisy compared to it.

Even the Filipino neighbor told me "sorry for the noise coz SOMETIMES I have a party in the living room" :)

The unit location is very good though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Americano
Posted
Posted

Whilst some of the decrees may seem a Little off topic, they are all about Environmental issues together with Noise. It is a lot of years old but whilst many will smile or laugh, it does go to show that there were and I guess are, Laws in Place to curb many things we may moan about.

Have a read and I guess it will open up this Topic a little more or maybe we should save it for a new Topic?

http://www.lawphil.net/statutes/presdecs/pd1977/pd_1152_1977.html

JP

Its really comical to read the Presidential Decree from 1977 and realize that nothing has changed.  Noise pollution, air pollution, and water pollution are still major concerns for visitors who know how much better those things are in other countries.  The funnest one to me is in 1977 the President was concerned about Sonic Booms, haha.  We are in 2014 now and still don't have Sonic Booms in the Philippines.

Americano
Posted
Posted

My first year of living in the Philippines was in downtown Cebu City near a construction site so we could hear construction going on from about sun raise until almost dark. It wasn't close enough to bother us much but almost every morning there was a much closer and louder noise that sounded like someone hitting on a lead pipe with a stick. It would last for an hour or two while we were trying to sleep.  It was very close but we could never see who was doing it due to the high security walls around each house.

For the last 4 years we have been living in Carcar.  The first apartment we rented was quiet except for the very loud motorcycles, trucks and buses that were traveling past on our street 24 hours a day. Some motorcycles have the muffler baffle removed and some have removed the entire muffler.  One day our neighbor put some roosters outside our bedroom window so my wife told the neighbor we can't sleep so my husband is going to kill the roosters.  The roosters were gone the next day.  This seem to be the only thing that most Filipinos respond to when complaining about loud noise. 

Almost every day I can hear someone either hammering, chopping on wood or coconuts, or just banging on something to make noise and usually it's very early in the morning when we are still trying to sleep. If there is no noise early in the morning someone will make some noise.  Oh, I didn't tell you about the very loud church right beside our apartment that would turn their volume full blast while singing and banging on a set drums starting at 4:30am and sometimes going to 2:00am but we got rid of them so now its relative quiet here.  What will be the next noise maker is the only question.

• Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

My first year of living in the Philippines was in downtown Cebu City near a construction site so we could hear construction going on from about sun raise until almost dark. It wasn't close enough to bother us much but almost every morning there was a much closer and louder noise that sounded like someone hitting on a lead pipe with a stick. It would last for an hour or two while we were trying to sleep.  It was very close but we could never see who was doing it due to the high security walls around each house.

For the last 4 years we have been living in Carcar.  The first apartment we rented was quiet except for the very loud motorcycles, trucks and buses that were traveling past on our street 24 hours a day. Some motorcycles have the muffler baffle removed and some have removed the entire muffler.  One day our neighbor put some roosters outside our bedroom window so my wife told the neighbor we can't sleep so my husband is going to kill the roosters.  The roosters were gone the next day.  This seem to be the only thing that most Filipinos respond to when complaining about loud noise. 

Almost every day I can hear someone either hammering, chopping on wood or coconuts, or just banging on something to make noise and usually it's very early in the morning when we are still trying to sleep. If there is no noise early in the morning someone will make some noise.  Oh, I didn't tell you about the very loud church right beside our apartment that would turn their volume full blast while singing and banging on a set drums starting at 4:30am and sometimes going to 2:00am but we got rid of them so now its relative quiet here.  What will be the next noise maker is the only question.

They invent new ways to make noise each week or so it seems to me.

• Like 2

RBM
Posted
Posted

Almost every day I can hear someone either hammering, chopping on wood or coconuts, or just banging on something to make noise and usually it's very early in the morning when we are still trying to sleep.

They invent new ways to make noise each week or so it seems to me.

How I love these comments and all so true.

Just as we started reading this we were enjoying the peace an quiet of our new abode. Suddenly just as Americano stated it started up, noise noise noise. Really seems part of the culture locals are unable to live with out.

Comes right dow to...if we don't like it......

Maybe living just outside the city may work, means sacrificing a few privileges like being able walk to the shops and things. Bit of a trade off. Further often the infrastructure leaves a little more to be desired once away from the city boundary.

Just have to adapt, start the day at 5am as no more sleep after this time, pray no karaoke in the near....

• Like 2

Alby
Posted
Posted

They were building a new tower infront of ours. They would knock knock knock on anything all weeklong and even on Sunday night or 5 AM in the morning!

Hey, they have to finish that bloody building or else no Peso :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

jpbago
Posted
Posted

Not to be stereotyping but an observation: In Canada, at the weekly farmer's market many people come with their dogs, on leashes, of course. The only dogs that are barking and being ignored by their owners are the dogs with Filipinos. On Canada Day, at the park, there were thousands of people, some with dogs and it was the same.

• Like 1

Americano
Posted
Posted (edited)

At our new apartment we still have the regular hammering, chopping and banging most mornings but now we have a new noise on some days, The owner of a full grown cow puts it outside our bedroom window to eat the grass along the dirt road. I never lived close to any cows in the USA so I didn't realize how loud it is when they Moooooo.  My wife jokingly said, I'm thinking about eating some beef, hehehe

The Presidential Decree of 1977 mentioned Zoning Laws.  Well they forgot to get the animals out of the cities.  Cows, goats, pigs, and chickens can still be raised anywhere in the towns and cities.  I haven't noticed any kind of zoning.  Everything, businesses, schools, housing areas, and animals are all scrambled up together.

Edited by Americano

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
Maybe living just outside the city may work...

Actually I had to move into the city for peace and quiet.  I started in the Antique province and the LOUD neighbor... was our house.  The tin roof would honestly rattle at the volume of the wall of speakers.  We could hear the noise a kilometer away, at the beach.  I moved closer to the city and it went well for a few months but then we got 3 loud neighbors.  Between them we had "music" about 20 hours a day.  Even the Filipino landlady complained about it.  But she gave the standard Filipino shrug which says 'that is just the way it is'.

Now we live in the city proper (Iloilo) and it is much quieter - most of the time.  It seems that the farther from the city the less people work, and they got nothing to do but party.  In the city people have to work to pay bills... so they sleep a bit more at night ha ha  Your mileage may vary.    :tiphat:

• Like 1