Noisy Neighbours

russellmania
Posted
Posted

I have reach the conclusion the Philippines is a loud country with inconsiderate neighbors. My first 30 days here I had a neighbors in a condo unit that let her relatives move in with her while her bf was in Oz working. They brought two loud toddlers that screamed and talked loud in the hallways at 7am. Filipino parents refuse to shush their kids. Another neighbor moved on the left side and its was a European guy and his pinay wife and infant. Of course babies will cry and wail so it was an annoyance I could tolerate. but all the bumping against our common wall had me puzzled. If I didn know better I would think they both were blind! I was trying to think of a scenario were I would bump walls and slam cabinet  doors so hard! When they all would leave for errands it would be so quiet with no no noise of bumping on the walls. And I would swear my neighbors were competing to see who can slam their doors the loudest when coming or going! I stayed 2 nights at the Crown Regency at Mactan and upon check in I told her can you please try and give me a room on the quiet side of hotel. Oh sure sir no problem. I go to my room on the 2nd floor and around 5 pm I started hearing music. I walk about 15 steps to the end of the hallway and there was a doorway that lead directly to the pool with a DJ playing music and people frolicking in the pool. And there was a stairway going upstairs to the DISCO!!! Its like trying to find a needle in a haystack.

robert k
Posted
Posted

I don't mind some background noise, the ringing in my ears from tinitis is less noticeable. If you get really rural you can experience quiet in the Philippines, farmers are usually too busy to be making alot of unnecessary noise.

Noisey people can be found everywhere. My own family, I call them stompers and they accuse me of trying to sneak up on them.

• Like 2

komments
Posted
Posted

Does anyone know if the high rise condos have the same noise problems.  This thread is making me rethink my desire to retire in the Philippines.  Maybe Belize would be a better option.

robert k
Posted
Posted

I think you can encounter noise just about anywhere in the Philippines, like kids playing in the halls of a high rise condo. You might find a place where there is no other noise but crowing roosters. You might find a place where you can't hear anything over the KTV bar across the street. Or you might get rural where it's quiet because even the people who can afford motorcycles can't aford loud exhausts.

One of the benefits of staying at the SOGO hotel that I have booked in Manila is that it is a short time hotel also and under 18 are not allowed. It's cheap and quiet (from last couple stays) but the cleanlyness I have found hit and miss, trying the executive room this time for 250 piso more.

Noise is not a great problem for me, I did buy several pairs of earplugs though just in case. I'm in it for the long haul. The good advise for everyone is come for an extended visit before you make up your mind.

Alby
Posted
Posted

Keep in mind that Filipinos don't know of the sound proof when they build something.

For instance, I live on shared land between 4 units. I could tell if my neighbor is doing face book. Even my Filipina gf shouts less in bed these days :)

Insulating a building is a luxury that will cost extra money so, to hell with it :)

Mind you, I live in the city what if I lived in the province? I am sure I would rot before anybody can find me :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

komments
Posted
Posted
I could tell if my neighbor is doing face book.

Does this mean something I am not understanding?  I mean I am on Facebook all the time but there is no way anyone would know without looking over my shoulder.  So I think I am missing something here.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Well Komments. Keep in mind that the Philippines is really more diversified than the states. Like life in Texas versus life in California. So anything I tell you only reflects my experiences living in the Manila area. A Condo here MIGHT just be the ticket for you in the noise department. Most Condos are very small usually 1 bedroom, some 2 bedrooms but I am sure you can find some larger. Hence you will not find large families in a condo setting. Factor that in that a lot condo towers are seldom fully occupied. Lots of OFW's buy them as investments and use them when they visit. The condos that I have visited seem pretty quiet compared to normal housing areas.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
So I think I am missing something here.

I think what Alby is referring to is the "SA PUPUNTA?" (where are you going?) complex here,,,,everyone is in everyones business......Gossip is a major growth industry here in the land of smiles :hystery:

Alby
Posted
Posted

I could tell if my neighbor is doing face book.

Does this mean something I am not understanding? I mean I am on Facebook all the time but there is no way anyone would know without looking over my shoulder. So I think I am missing something here.

We are talking about noise and when somebody msgs somebody on Facebook the chat does make a sound :)

How many Filipinos are on Facebook? :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pokermike
Posted
Posted

I remember on one of my recent condo searches in Angeles City i found a nice place that did not allow tenants to have children with a very strict noise contol. It was perfect location and price not to bad one bedroom starts at 24,000 pesos . i am probably going to pick that as my first rental.  NO NOISE went there several times at night and it was very quiet.   poker mike  i can find out the name if you are interested.