Noisy Neighbours

Larry45
Posted
Posted
Yeah, NOISE is the biggest problems we have had living here, and sleep deprivation can be a huge problem for one's health and happiness.  We lived in an apartment, then a duplex and finally a house and the house is by far the quietest, even though its in a much less affluent area than the others.  We will never share a wall with anyone here again, even foreigners, as it seems very few here know how to close a door without slamming it and it's just better for us to not have others living that close. Now we just have barking dogs to deal with, and a quick text to the neighbors usually ends that.  Otherwise, they would have no problem letting the dogs bark all night long.  We did totally insulate the bedroom and that helped a lot, too.  

But we are probably just lucky with our location and will stay here as long as it continues to be quiet.  We'd like to move into a nicer house in a more upscale area, but it's likely we would have more noise problems than we do here.  It's a bit of a crap shoot trying to find peace and quiet in the Phils.
  • Like 4

robert k
Posted
Posted

It was generally quiet when I lived in Calocmoy, Mindoro Oriental. In the month I was there, there was Karaoke from the neighbors 300 yards away for a couple of hours one afternoon that I found more a a pleasant change than a hardship. It was quite rural without much to recommend it but quiet, laid back even when riding the motorcycle, good broadband, pretty clean wet market in Socorro, various resorts within 45 minutes drive by trike, from simple to beautiful, and the people. The Filopinos there are mostly taller and it's good to not feel like you are towering over everyone. Only heard the "hey joe" one time in a month. It's a long way from the bright lights of Calapan though and when school lets out trying to drive down the main highway is like parting the sea of reeds because it can be completely blocked by young knotheads. But it's quiet.

The carabao would stare at me.

There was also the matter of the giant 6 foot tall penis shaped mud sculptures. You don't see that every day. :hystery:

• Like 2

MacBubba
Posted
Posted (edited)
The Filopinos there are mostly taller and it's good to not feel like you are towering over everyone

My wife's brother-in-law is from Mindoro, and he is a tall fellow.  His mother was from Marinduque.  In seeing a lot of tall people in Marinduque, I began thinking that the brother-in-law must have gotten his height from the Marinduque side of the family.  In seeing what you just wrote, I am back to square one.

I am editing this to keep to the subject...it is quiet in Marinduque.  For the most part anyway. 

Edited by MacBubba
  • Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted

Why not offer to rent the house next door and then relet it to QUIET friends? Or offer the landlord a "bonus" for every quiet month?

In answer to your question Curley.

Although I advised the landlord he will never keep a reliable tenant with this noise he is deterred to keep him. Not withstanding they have already some time ago been through the barangay court about the noise. When I repeatedly asked him why there was silence.

Yes you may not believe but it's true. Further in buying property here I am becoming disillusioned, just to many what ifs. No control over a large investment is not what I need at this stage in life.

robert k
Posted
Posted

I think you are right MacBubba, I did go a little far afield. I think I was trying to give an example of what may be required / side benefits of, if quiet is high on your list and what compromises may have to be made. Public transportation exists but is so crude I could understand it which is a bad sign. I think westerners would need their own vehicle. Even the motorcycles around Socorro and Calocmoy are quiet.

• Like 1

MacBubba
Posted
Posted
I think you are right MacBubba, I did go a little far afield.

I was actually referring to my post.  I picked up on something you said and went off topic.  I had to reel myself back in with the "quiet bit". 

Now that I think about it, our house in Marinduque is rather inset.  The main gate opens up to the road, but our house is way down the compound, fronting the beach.  Unless a vehicle turns into the gate, we don't hear it.   

Rejoice...we are in a quiet part of the Philippines.  As for getting a vehicle...my wife thinks all we need is a golf cart for tooling around the island.  Any idea where I can get one?

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted

Well coming to the end......

Was back on the same merry go round with Landlord, at the end of an hour plus of a so called meeting.....I must adjust my life and sleep during day, stay up all night and there is no problem. This is his logic.

Not possible to explain that I am not that kinda nocturnal creature plus need my night beauty sleep. So in a nut shell it's my fault.

Redoubled efforts and seems pretty likely we have another place in the same area. Will be confirmed next week. Yup gona get noise, this is sure, after all we are in a noisy country where people value music volume over quality, it's ok providing not all night.

Now, any suggestions on having some of my 6 months pre paid rent returned be appreciated. We have been here 6 weeks and very sleep deprived.....

First will discuss with landlord, if no joy as expected, guess either barangay captain . or an attorney.

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Now, any suggestions on having some of my 6 months pre paid rent returned be appreciated. We have been here 6 weeks and very sleep deprived..... First will discuss with landlord, if no joy as expected, guess either barangay captain . or an attorney.

Prepaying 6 months in advance was a big mistake. 1st month, last month, 1 month sec deposit - 3 months maximum advance. I know some of these characters demand it, just keep looking. I would try to reason with the landlord but in the likely event he refuses, I would let it go. The barangay would probably take many months to resolve and I don't think you would win. An attorney would be more money wasted. Sleep deprivation can wreak havoc on your system and affect judgement. Proceed carefully. Move asap.

• Like 2

Alby
Posted
Posted

I would try getting the 6 months or part of it back but if no then I wouldn't spend more money to get it back.

Dump and forget is my rule.

The main thing is quietness!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jpbago
Posted
Posted
Dump and forget is my rule.

Dump and remember is my rule. You don't want to do the same again.