Noisy Neighbours

Alby
Posted
Posted

RBM, no need to go through a losing battle.

If I don't like something I just cut my losses, turn my face away 180 degrees and just go.

It's true that you might pay something for it but your health will thank you for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UnCheckedOther
Posted
Posted

While I was at uni and lived off-campus, I had the misfortune of living next to these Chinese-American students who sang karaoke from about 10 PM until the butt crack of dawn. Politely telling them that they were making my eardrums bleed didn't work. Blasting Celine Dion in retaliation didn't work, as that just encouraged them to sing the Mandarin version of "My Heart Will Go On" and "To Love You More." What did work was guilt trip. I told them that with the time difference, 10 PM- 4 PM was the best time for me to speak to my grandma who lives in Asia. I also casually mentioned that my grandma was not feeling healthy and just wanted to hear her favourite grandchild's voice...

• Like 2

RBM
Posted
Posted
I told them that with the time difference, 10 PM- 4 PM was the best time for me to speak to my grandma who lives in Asia. I also casually mentioned that my grandma was not feeling healthy and just wanted to hear her favourite grandchild's voice...

UnCheckedOther

Food for thought....maybe a similar story may work.......sick Brother or wife....need speak every night. Hey not bad at all.

Conventional I NEED TO SLEEP does not work so why not try it.

salamat

Hey Steve
Posted
Posted

In many cases I love the social attitude of the Filipino people. Untimely noise, being the downside to this friendly social behavior means adjustments need to be made. Let's face it; it's in the culture and you can't change the spots on a leopard so however you chose to roll with it or adjust accordingly, I believe it's how one prepares for this inevitability that can make the difference.

In my case (just sharing here), one consideration with building our home when we get set up will be having the bedroom as sound proofed as possible (which will also be designed as a safe room as well). Using a double wall with cork inlay between, a drop ceiling along with special "green glue" to seal all cracks and joint spaces, and rubber stripping around the door. AC and soft music added may karaoke proof it to a degree. The materials are available for this too I found out-as our nephew works with home design and construction.

• Like 3

MikeB
Posted
Posted

The annual town fiesta started Sept 19th and runs 11 days, that would be till tomorrow, the 29th. It's been blissfully peaceful...until today. They brought out the 10 ft speakers "somewhere out there" and the ground is shaking. No amount of sound-proofing is going to shut it out. With all the people in town for the fiesta the water pressure is so low you can't take a shower except for VERY early in the morning, maybe. It doesn't happen often and nothing you can do anyway but accept it or leave.

• Like 4

Guy F.
Posted
Posted

Really good double-glaze windows would help.

Americano
Posted
Posted

In many cases I love the social attitude of the Filipino people. Untimely noise, being the downside to this friendly social behavior means adjustments need to be made. Let's face it; it's in the culture and you can't change the spots on a leopard so however you chose to roll with it or adjust accordingly, I believe it's how one prepares for this inevitability that can make the difference.

In my case (just sharing here), one consideration with building our home when we get set up will be having the bedroom as sound proofed as possible (which will also be designed as a safe room as well). Using a double wall with cork inlay between, a drop ceiling along with special "green glue" to seal all cracks and joint spaces, and rubber stripping around the door. AC and soft music added may karaoke proof it to a degree. The materials are available for this too I found out-as our nephew works with home design and construction.

Hi Steve,

Sound proofing your bedroom sounds like a good idea that I'm interested in too, not only for the loud music but also for the many other loud noises like motorcycles, trucks, buses, rosters, cows, people yelling and screaming and someone always hammering on something.  Some kind of noise wakes me up every day. 

Are the materials you mentioned available in Cebu City?  If so then where?

Thanks,

Phillip

Hey Steve
Posted
Posted

My nephew attains his materials from Davao City (del Sur) and has shown me examples. Consulting with a local construction engineer, I'm sure they have connections. There's a whole host of creative ideas, but for a double wall, cork is an excellent sound absorber, and the windows/doors need to be as air tight as possible. Saves on AC bill as well.

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted

Just the comments I was looking for, very informative, thanks Steve.

I have been considering purchasing a place recently. After our recent experience, reading many other comments,  have decided not to proceed at this time.

Kinda the what if.....one uses common sense, buy what one can walk away from if the sh...hits the fan...OK

What if neighbours change.....nice neighbours suddenly have a noisy maid, a son from the US or any where arrive.   Kareoke pending......As other posters have pointed out.....no way to stop noise from the huge speakers.

For now, in my situation  renting seems the best choice, can pack and move any time which seems increasingly likely soon.

• Like 1

Scruffydawg
Posted
Posted

Not much space here, so it's loud at times. Try a loud fan ?

I did this once. I was camping and the kids in the next space partied until 4:00 AM. Loud music etc

After 2 nights. I got up the next Am at 7 to shower. I cranked up the George Jones very loud. They kind of peeked out of the tents hung over and irritated, but I think they got the point.

Rock out at about 7 the next morning for a few mornings.

In the end, you are the foreigner and not much can be done. It's common place.

• Like 1