Favorite Filipino Food?

MacBubba
Posted
Posted
Somehow, I think I wasn't exposed to the full variety of Filipino foods and hope to find a better variety when I return (in 2016!).

If you are staying in Batangas, you will probably be introduced to different regional cuisine than Cebu fare.  For variety, you will be close enough to Manila for an occasional visit. 

• Like 2

WordsandMusic
Posted
Posted

I have really enjoyed reading your posts on food!!! Very funny. You can tell as an outsider. ....looking in you all have had some interesting encounters with food. There are some great personalities on here. My wife is always trying to get me to eat bananas, she makes them in a variety of ways and she and my 4 year old eat the you know what out of them. I could just never wrap my brain around eating banana Q. Today thanks to you folks I understand the importance of liking what my wife tries feeding me. I had better develope a taste for things now before July 2015.

• Like 3

deevey
Posted
Posted

Beef Sinegang I reckon is my fav local dish (to make at home) ...preferably left in the refrigerator for 3 days prior to eating.

Chicharon Bulaklak and Sisig are probably my fav drinking snacks but is really dependent on the place (some is icky and nasty)

Lechon is a No-Brainer, everyone loves a roast piggy :D 

Some stuff I just kind of take for granted now, like mangoes, bananas by the ton, live crabs, fresh shrimp and weird colored fish which we just don't have at home to any great extent (or bloody expensive if they do). 

• Like 4

robert k
Posted
Posted

If you are close to the sea, Marlin is a bargain compared to US prices. I have even eaten dried fish which I thought was some kind of beef jerky until I encountered the small bones, smells like you know what when cooking though. I just finished some pancit canton, delicious. My gir'ls sister made some excellent garlic rice and I asked her secret? She tells me it's saliva! She's pretty hot so I told her to keep it up. :thumbsup:

• Like 4

WordsandMusic
Posted
Posted

All this sounds exceptionally good, especially the garlic saliva rice by a hot Filipina! My wife is hot but refused to make that particular rice dish for me. I think going overseas and experiencing different foods and culture. I remember the time I had portraits and yeagersnitzal, I thought I had died and gone to heaven. That was in Germany. I also liked the calvesworst and fresh pumpernickel bread. In Korea I ate alot of dried fish, fresh fish and seafood in general. I liked kitchen as well. Korean food is really good! If you folks haven't found a good Korean restaurant you should, I know there are some. I ate a a couple in Cebu, Lapu- Lapu. Sorry about the spelling of those dishes.

• Like 3

Daydreamer
Posted
Posted
At least I have forewarning on what to avoid
I wasn't so lucky! I stumbled around until my fiancee's sister brought up blut. But my all time favorite is lumpia! If you have that around you can just about get me to try anything...but blut! :cheers:
  • Like 2

Daydreamer
Posted
Posted

Pancit Bihon with Chicken, Laing, Kinilaw (shrimp, squid, tuna or dory)

Gotta see if I can get the fiancee to do it that way, she always insists on using pork livers or some other dead organ

• Like 2

Daydreamer
Posted
Posted

Scott;

IMG_6577.jpg

:wt-hell: :sign0095:

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

There are few filipino foods that I can eat, let alone like.  It is one of the few drawbacks to living here.  But there are 2 bright spots.  First is Lechon Baboy.  My mother used to cook roast pork that tasted as good so it is not something that I can only get here but it is still good.. Second is Dried Fish.  Amazing right?  I could not bring myself to eat that crap but a friend mixed up some trail mix and I ate a few handfuls.  It was good.  I asked him what the salty flavor was that reminded me of anchovies.  He told me it was dried fish.  After that it did not taste so good but I think that was psychological once I knew what was in it.  Kind of like the 'mystery meat' served at family gatherings in the province.  It tastes all right until you ask where Rover is.

• Like 4

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Whenever I visit the Philippines, one food item on my list is Magnolia Ube Ice Cream. It's the height of perfection. Walmart in Honolulu sells Magnolia Ube-Macapuno, but it is not the same. Too sweet.

• Like 1