Windows 10. Have You Tried It?

Richieboy67
Posted
Posted

I hear now Microsoft is downloading 10 into your PC even if you do not want to upgrade..

Is that even legal?

It downloads as a normal update.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/windows-10-download-windows-7-8/

Yes, the actually updates are listed here in this thread.

• 3 months later...
jpbago
Posted
Posted

I have been using Windows 10 since day 1, July 29/15 on both my laptops and I do like it. The girls picked it up quickly. I have had no problems except to learn it. Most people are reluctant to change. I did change the photo program back to Windows Photo Gallery as I find it easier to edit. Maybe I did not understand the Windows 10 photo. My desk top was too old to accept it.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I have been using Windows 10 since day 1, July 29/15 on both my laptops and I do like it. The girls picked it up quickly. I have had no problems except to learn it. Most people are reluctant to change. I did change the photo program back to Windows Photo Gallery as I find it easier to edit. Maybe I did not understand the Windows 10 photo. My desk top was too old to accept it.

Any other recent updates on using Win 10?

My bro in law in Auckland says that it detects unlicensed software.  Any truth to that?

• 2 weeks later...
robert k
Posted
Posted

I installed windows 10 on my daily driver. I took the precaution of cloning my HD to an old 80Gb HD before "updating" to W10 from windows home premium 64 bit. I was glad I took the precaution of installing W10 to that 80 GB HD which I later wiped. W10 had problems with my Nvidia card (just last month and they have not fixed this yet?) and would not allow me to set the screen resolution to my screens native resolution. Called my monitor generic when "Dude, it's a DELL!" I'm still glad I tried it although it was much slower than my windows 7. In future if I want windows 10 again, I can install it again as they (simplified) register your motherboard with the operating system. Actually you can revert to an earlier operating system whenever you want, it's just that after 30 days they are not going to make it easy for you. You have the right to revert. If you didn't make a copy of everything though you are probably going to lose something, maybe everything. I don't save much on mechanical HD's without a backup because like all things mechanical they will eventually fail.

Did the same (installed and reverted) on an 8 year old Dell XPS 410, which I changed from windows vista 32 bit to W7 home premium 64 bit and although it is old, with DDR2 ram is actually my fastest computer. I bought an exceedingly cheap refurb computer, cheap because the bios was corrupted. What it had was a refurbishers legal copy of windows 7 32 bit with their code key which had never been activated so I just put windows 7 64 bit on the XPS and used their product key to validate. The rest of the refurb tower was spare parts providing the above mentioned 80GB hard drive.

I just missed the opportunity to update a windows vista computer to W10 for free. I didn't get on my computer repairing and updating kick until after the window had closed. It still works ok with Vista business 64 bit and 4 GB of ram with Chrome browser. I was unable to even get it to update to internet explorer 9 which meant nothing but MSN would load on internet explorer. The computer originally was Vista business 32 bit but the original owner installed XP Pro.

Someone said their desktop was too old to be updated? possibly your operating system was too old but hardware requirements are very modest for W10.

I'm sorry I missed Wordsandmusic's post about the laptops with no HD's. If they have a COA certificate of authenticity sticker with the product key I could get an ISO and load a new HD with whatever operating system it originally had and you would be able to validate with the product key. Getintopc.com has most ISO you can download, I only use them when I have a valid key. So far, all I have tried have been clean. Pendrive Linux Universal USB Installer will convert most ISO for loading on a flash drive to boot/ reinstall/ new install on a computer. If you want to try some form of Linux it's a good place to find that too and you can try it from a flashdrive.

A little off topic, but Microsoft does not care if your system is 32 or 64 bit. If you have a W7 32 bit desktop that you would like to spruce up a little bit, a motherboard that will accept more than 4GB of ram and room for another HD you can load W7 64 bit on that HD and boot from it. If you upgrade the ram to 6GB or more, however much your motherboard allows, you should see an improvement. The various flavors, home basic, home premium, Pro, need to stay the same. If you are running 32 bit, it is a waste of time to install more than 4GB of ram on windows as the system will not be able to address (see) all of it.

Ready Boost! Tip for everyone. If you are using a flash drive for ready boost and the computer only lets you use 4GB for ready boost, reformat the flash drive as EXFAT and uncheck the box where it says use recommended settings do NOT manually input how much you want the system to use and windows will use all of it, at least it will on 64 bit systems. I don't have a 32 bit system anymore.

As long as I am giving tips...a good 3.0 flash drive can be 4 times as fast as a 2.0 flash drive even if you are using it in a USB 2.0 port. It may not be the 10 times as fast as you would get with a USB 3.0 port but the difference in price these days is slim. USB 3.0 flash drives used in a USB 2.0 port do not have the problem of getting hot enough to fry bacon as some of them do in a USB 3.0 port.

If you have a desktop with an empty drive bay, see if you can find a cheap HD to stick in there, clone what you have now and unplug it. One day you may need to take the cover off and plug it back in so you can be up and running in 5 minutes, less of course whatever you have added since you made the clone. It's better than staring at a blank screen and sometimes you need an operable computer to find out what went wrong.

• Like 1

jpbago
Posted
Posted
Someone said their desktop was too old to be updated? possibly your operating system was too old but hardware requirements are very modest for W10.

I had W7 HP when I installed W10. The problem was with the wifi driver on my 7 year old Dell desk top so I went back to W7. I have no problems with W10 on my laptops.

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted

I had W7 HP when I installed W10. The problem was with the wifi driver on my 7 year old Dell desk top so I went back to W7. I have no problems with W10 on my laptops.

If you can't get the proper driver you could get a wifi dongle that would plug into a USB port. I have seen them on Amazon .com for around $10. The proper term is probably USB wifi adapter.

jpbago
Posted
Posted

If you can't get the proper driver you could get a wifi dongle that would plug into a USB port. I have seen them on Amazon .com for around $10. The proper term is probably USB wifi adapter.

I did that and still could not connect. I searched for drivers on my laptop and tried to transfer but it failed.

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted

I did that and still could not connect. I searched for drivers on my laptop and tried to transfer but it failed.

Some adaptors for some reason possibly a driver issue won't connect with the WPA2 (AES) encryption but will with either WPA (TKIP) or WEP.

• Like 4

jpbago
Posted
Posted
Some adaptors for some reason possibly a driver issue won't connect with the WPA2 (AES) encryption but will with either WPA (TKIP) or WEP.

I was using my dongle adapter before I switched as my Dell did not have that 802.11 with W7 but my dongle let me down with W10.

robert k
Posted
Posted

I was using my dongle adapter before I switched as my Dell did not have that 802.11 with W7 but my dongle let me down with W10.

JP, just a thought but did you download from Dell and update your computer as much as possible? It is recommended before updating to W10. On my 2007 model Dell I do recall there being ethernet updates, 1 for the old bios and another one if you let them flash the bios. I updated the bios as that was recommended for upgrading to W10. Flashing the bios turned out ok but I lost internet connection immediately after and I thought Dell had screwed me but it wasn't them, it was the cable company. :bash:  Loss of connection or power while flashing the chip on the motherboard would have given me another parts computer as it would not be worth the time, trouble and expense to track down an exact replacement for the mother board and a different board would have required me to buy another builders OEM operating system.