Windows 10. Have You Tried It?

Richieboy67
Posted
Posted

Hey guys, I read that windows 7 and 8 will both be getting updates that will track your usage like windows 10. Best to either avoid those updates or turn off the tracking once updated as they will be on by default.

If you can get us the update numbers, we can watch for them or hopefully delete them if they already slipped by.
I'll see if I can find the article. :)

Richieboy67
Posted
Posted

KB3068708

KB3022345

KB3075249

KB3080149

The updates released by Microsoft are kb3068708, kb3022345, kb3075249 and kb3080149, which basically "introduce the Diagnostics and Telemetry tracking service" for the older Windows versions. Moreover per Microsoft, these updates also "add telemetry points to the User Account Control (UAC) feature to collect information on elevations that come from low integrity levels."

• Like 2

virginprune
Posted
Posted

Thanks for this info. I only had the first two on the list installed, now both uninstalled.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
KB3068708 KB3022345 KB3075249 KB3080149

I checked to see if I had any of these updates and I do not.

I'm running Windows 7 pro and it frequently tells me I have to activate windows, which I am unable to do.  So if I start deleting updates 1 by 1 will I eventually get rid of the one that caused my laptop to start with the 'activate' countdown?  (The countdown gives me 30 days which I can reset indefinitely but it is a pain in the neck to bother with that).

Mike S
Posted
Posted (edited)

KB3068708

KB3022345

KB3075249

KB3080149

The updates released by Microsoft are kb3068708, kb3022345, kb3075249 and kb3080149, which basically "introduce the Diagnostics and Telemetry tracking service" for the older Windows versions. Moreover per Microsoft, these updates also "add telemetry points to the User Account Control (UAC) feature to collect information on elevations that come from low integrity levels."

Here is a bang up article about these up-dates from MS ..... also please note the additional up-dates that could be harmful to your privacy further down in his article ..... I had 2 of these also on my computer as well as 2 of the ones you listed above .....

kinda makes me have a warm and fuzzy feeling about downloading MS updates ..... I definitely won't be downloading any of the oppositional ones anytime soon ....  

Please note the reference to Win 10 going the way of Google and Facebook two of the largest advertisement mining programs of all times .... makes you wonder what else they are mining for ..... JMHO

http://www.infoworld.com/article/2981947/microsoft-windows/the-truth-about-windows-7-and-81-spy-patches-kb-3068708-3022345-3075249-and-3080149.html

:cheersty:

Edited by Mike S

Richieboy67
Posted
Posted

Those new updates can also be disabled so not a huge deal even if installed but it did tick me off that by default they are on.

Mike S
Posted
Posted (edited)

Yea but here is the thing we know a little bit about computers and how they work but just imagine the poor folks that don't and are trusting M$ to be honest and straight forward in their dealings ..... and the worst part is where does it end ..... we really have have no idea what is being put in those up-dates until someone accidentally finds one of these breaches and puts it out for us to see  ..... sorry but I just don't trust Billy-Boy Gates and his mob.... JMHO

So why do I continue to use Windows .... have no choice ... at my age I don't want to try to learn Linux ..... and we will never see another OS put out by someone else as M$ will just buy the rights or find a way to close them down and don't look for any help from the government as they are in to deep with M$ .... real sad state of affairs ... literally .... 

:cheersty:

Edited by Mike S
  • Like 1

Richieboy67
Posted
Posted (edited)

Well let's hope they are just using the info to help improve the system and not to steal are credit card numbers. :)

Edited by Richieboy67

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted
So why do I continue to use Windows ...

Try chrome book

Richieboy67
Posted
Posted

So why do I continue to use Windows ...

Try chrome book

In my opinion Google is way worse than them all at gathering your data.
  • Like 1