Windows 10. Have You Tried It?

Richieboy67
Posted
Posted

So far, the only issue I had with W 10 was when I open any image.

The whole screen just keeps on blinking? I rebooted the thing and it's back to normal? What gives?

Mind you, I mainly use the browser. The PC boots up fast though?

That's strange. When you open any image in the browser?

I use Firefox mostly as I'm not crazy about edge at least for what I do as a web developer/seo but it's great for browsing. I haven't had any issues when images yet.

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted

The whole screen just keeps on blinking? I rebooted the thing and it's back to normal? What gives?

Sounds like video driver issue.

• Like 1

Richieboy67
Posted
Posted

Yeah, I did read there were some issues with a couple drivers for certain Nvidia graphics card drivers.

Czechman
Posted
Posted (edited)

Sadly, Windows 10 Is Stealing Your Bandwidth 'By Default' — Disable It Immediately  (missing image from initial post: windows-10-update-download.png)   After installing Windows 10, Feeling like your Internet Bandwidth is dropping away? Windows 10 is stealing your network bandwidth.

This (the above by member 'Malcolm Graham' -thanks for that!), has some really good information via The Hacker News.com site, and the URL within this article provides even more great information to protect your privacy and security like the "Fix 35+ privacy issues with just one click," link - which does this by way of installing the app called: DoNotSpy10.

*However, for those that may want to examine more avenues on self-administered security ploys--instead of installing and relying on an app that hopefully is secure in itself--here are other techniques explained in this URL:

How To Disable Data Logging in Windows 10.

This article goes step by step, guiding you to a more secure Windows 10 system and undermining the data-logging features that Windows 10, defaults at. Though some of it can get somewhat "tech-savvy" midway through, nonetheless, there is supplemental information about Windows 10, that you should know about.

More on this subject of Windows 10 spreading the love (of some of your data) around... can be found here at Krebs On Security.com: Windows 10 Shares Your WiFi With Contacts.  Brian Krebs is one excellent reporter and investigator when it comes to hacking and data security, plus more and I check his site all the time for updates on those "low life, security-breachers/hackers/criminals" that are out there preying on us, the public, and businesses as well.

*Now to give MS a fair shake, I suppose that MS is doing this "data logging" to help people along and make it easier to do tasks however, it can be alarming to some people--like me for instance. =-{ 

Indeed though, it's better to get many views/standpoints on a particular subject, and then you can decide what is the best option for you and what you are the most comfortable with to use, right?

Of course it is...  :cheersty:

(Oh by the way, MS gave me the free upgrade to 10, but I'm sticking with 7 - for now and will wait to hear more about the good, the bad and the ugly - regarding Win-10, before I leap, or leap not...)

Edited by Czechman

Richieboy67
Posted
Posted

You just have to go through the options during set up and install. Don't skip through.

Yes the bandwidth thing can be set during set up. I have mine set to share with local network only. This means updates will get downloaded and then will share with my other win 10 PC.

As for the privacy stuff, most is to protect you from span out help improve windows 10.. Not to sell your personal information.

If your afraid of Windows 10 then doing even bother with your apple or android phone. They are much, much worse in terms of your personal data.

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Well I solved my problems and concerns with Win 10 ..... I'm going back to 8.1 .... let you all know how it goes .... after they get the bugs worked out I may try it again ..... JMHO

:cheersty:

• Like 3

Richieboy67
Posted
Posted (edited)

Well I solved my problems and concerns with Win 10 ..... I'm going back to 8.1 .... let you all know how it goes .... after they get the bugs worked out I may try it again ..... JMHO

:cheersty:

So sorry I missed your post.

For metered connections just go into advanced options under network settings.

Edited by Richieboy67

Markham
Posted
Posted

Windows 10 insists on sending data to Microsoft even if told it must not. Some of the information includes telemetry information including machine IDs.

Windows 10 is "Software As A Service" and whilst initially free, Microsoft will make more money out of you than you would otherwise have paid for a licence.

• Like 2

Richieboy67
Posted
Posted

They intend to make money from the app store. This is a trend now with video games, apps, etc. Give them free then charge you a loaf of cash to get any use out of them.

Dolby
Posted
Posted

Yeah, I did read there were some issues with a couple drivers for certain Nvidia graphics card drivers.

Thanks folks!

Initially, I thought since I had only upgraded OSs it must be the new OS since it was working fine before. But after this comment I went to Nvidea website to see they have a new W10 download so I said, this must be it then.

After downloading it over the illustrious PLDT brooooaaadband and tried the same issue, it's the same. The screen flickers whenever I open an image by clicking from explorer on any image like file (even a .mov) and play it in any app?

Luckily for me, I am retired :)