Windows 10. Have You Tried It?

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Got the notification of free offer upgrade to Windows 10, tried to do it one day but took too long.  Wondering if others have views onhow it [it performs.

• Like 1

virginprune
Posted
Posted

As stated in a previous thread, I have no plans for this upgrade because of the uses I use my laptop for. Having said that, I too have a computer whizz friend that has offered to do this. Maybe I will take him up on the offer maybe not, I would like to see the interface and read some good reviews before I commit.

• Like 1

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted

Downloaded it from Microsoft 2 weeks back but it needed a key !!

so deleted it now I have the windows 10 icon appeared at the bottom of my screen and I am waiting for the upgrade !

some say I will need a key this time as well others have said they just installed it without a key ! :1 (103):

so we shall wait and see !! currently using windows 7 pro which with all the antivirus and booster progs is working great and very fast !

better the devil you know I suppose !!

• Like 1

Richieboy67
Posted
Posted

The only way it will take a day is if your connection if horrible.

• Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Win 10 is interesting to say the least and I'm learning more and more as time goes on and some of it not necessarily good ..... example .... today I find out that 10 updates itself automatically and there is no choice of "Let me decide which downloads are to be installed and when".... that feature is now gone it is only available for additional downloads like your non-windows programs and hardware ...... and updates that require you to agree to something by clicking on "I agree or don't agree" ......

If you buy Win 10 Pro you can get the prompt command that lets you modify certain aspects of your computer in the run box (can't for the life of me remember what it is) ..... any way I definitely don't like that aspect of 10 ..... but then I have 30 days to decide if I want to keep it or not ...... but I have decided NOT to put on my other computers ..... JMHO

:cheersty:

• Like 1

Dolby
Posted
Posted

What I usually do when I want to TRY and test something new is install it but within my current OS as a program. It's as simple as removing a program from my PC if I decide I don't like it.

I first install a virtual PC emulator like Oracle VM or VMware then create pretty much a PC within my PC.

It doesn't cost anything to do so btw. The VM software is a free download.

• Like 1

Richieboy67
Posted
Posted

Yes you can turn off auto updates. Go into settings, advanced options I believe.

You can actually opt out of every single privacy thing if you want also.

• Like 1

virginprune
Posted
Posted

Yes you can turn off auto updates. Go into settings, advanced options I believe.

You can actually opt out of every single privacy thing if you want also.

In a tech review I read on it, it said that you cannot turn off auto update on security updates only on recommended updates.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
In a tech review I read on it,

I read that too.  But then I read you can 'fool' it by telling Windows 10 that you are on a 'pay per megabyte' Internet connection in which case it would let you set it up to download only upon your approval.

Disclaimer:  I did not try that, only read about it and thought it interesting.

• Like 3

mogo51
Posted
Posted

I read somewhere, that Windows 7 will be given the flick when it Windows 10 comes in?