Windows 10. Have You Tried It?

Richieboy67
Posted
Posted (edited)

I just upgraded my 2 laptop's, one from 7 and the other from 8.1 and I am so happy with 10! Very user intuitive and also very light and speedy. I am a little pissed about the removal of media center but everything else I love!

I had no issues at all running the upgrade. It took a little time with my slow connection but no errors or issues of any kind.

It is really as others have said. The best from 7 and 8 with a few other upgrades. Really great!

Edited by Richieboy67
  • Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Just came across this.

Windows 10 is an entirely new version of the veteran Windows operating system – a version that is make-or-break for Microsoft.

Even though Windows 8.1 did improve things, there's no escaping that with Windows 8, Microsoft was hugely complacent, buoyed by the success of Windows 7. It drastically misunderstood its users with a fundamentally changed user interface which didn't make any logical sense and was hard to learn. It failed us. It failed itself.

Buy Microsoft Windows 10 Home 32 Bit System Builder OEM | PC Disc at Amazon for $99.99

Thankfully 2015 Microsoft is pretty different to 2012 Microsoft. The key management of the corporation has changed. It has woken up to the fact that people can choose other operating systems. It's keen on making stuff for OS X, Linux, iOS and Android. As you'll hear, it's allowing apps from other platforms to be easily ported to Windows, too.

Microsoft believes the future of Windows is as a platform for all. Like Android, the strength of Windows is in the thousands of companies that develop for it (see the section about Universal apps for more on the relationship with developers) and use it in their products.

That's why Windows 10 is no longer just an operating system for 32 and 64-bit PCs. It will also run on the ARM platform for smaller tablets and smartphones. Windows 10 is going to run on phones – it's the new version of Windows Phone, but it's not that clear whether Microsoft will brand new Windows Phones as 'Windows 10' or not. If you know what Windows RT was, then don't worry, because it's nothing like that.

Universal apps will run not only on PCs, but on Windows 10 phones, Windows 10 for IoT devices and Xbox as well.

Like Windows XP, Vista, 7 and 8 before it, Windows 10 is part of the Windows NT family.

Windows 10 review
Digsby
IM, Email, and Social Networks in one easy to use application!
From the Windows 10 Preview to RTM

We've been part of the Windows Insider program, which has given people early access to Windows 10 through various phases of its development. The latest version, which this article is based on, is known as build 10240, made available on 15 July. It is the RTM- or Release to Manufacturing - version. RTM will also be on Windows 10 PCs.

RTM doesn't have the usual 'Windows 10 Insider Preview' text on the desktop, and it has also been released to everybody in the Windows Insider program – even those who didn't want the latest updates (the 'slow' ring as opposed to the 'fast' ring).

Windows 10 review
Even after Windows 10's release, the Windows Insider program will continue, and Microsoft will release Windows 10 updates to members of the program first.

While it's natural that Windows 10 will be considered as 'finished' by reviewers (us) and consumers in the coming weeks, Microsoft doesn't subscribe to t

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

And this.

Microsoft Solitaire hasn't actually changed much since Windows 8 — but it seems like many people either didn't play it then, or went right from Windows 7 to Windows 10. In Windows 8, Microsoft Solitaire Collection was available from the Windows 8 store.

There are five versions of Solitaire available in both the Windows 8 and the Windows 10 versions: Spider Solitaire, Pyramid, FreeCell, TriPeak and Klondike, which is the original classic that most people know. Windows Solitaire and FreeCell were often free pack-in titles for Windows, going back to Windows 95, when the operating system had a whole suite of free games. (Ski Free, anyone?)

These basic games can still be played for free, and you'll never be interrupted by an advertisement while playing. But there's a lot of other stuff in both versions of the Microsoft Solitaire Collection, including two modes called Daily Challenges and Star Club. These modes offer daily events and achievements for serious Solitaire players. There's actually a whole Microsoft-run Facebook page where people talk about them.

solitaire-windows
A screenshot of Windows 8 version of Microsoft Solitaire Collection.
IMAGE: SCREENSHOT/MASHABLE
These modes will make you sit through a full-screen video advertisement before you even play. Or you can pay a rolling subscription — $1.49 a month or $9.99 a year — to turn ads off in the Deluxe version. Players also get two times the daily coins for completing challenges for their subscription.

There's actually something unfortunate here for those who already ponied up for the Windows 8 Deluxe version, since their subscriptions didn't carry over after upgrading to Windows 10. According to a Microsoft spokesperson, “a customer’s annual subscription to the Microsoft Solitaire Collection Premium edition that they purchased on Windows 8 does extend to Windows 10. We’re aware of a delay that is currently preventing the transfer of that subscription, and are working diligently on getting customers back to their premium features as soon as possible."

While it is very en vogue to get mad about microtransactions (and often those criticisms are on point), that doesn't seem to be the case this time. You can still play all the FreeCell you want while procrastinating at work, as is your God-given right as an American. But extra competitive features will cost you either money or your time/sanity as you sit through the same video ads over and over.
  • Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted

I'm still enjoying my Win 10 and the learning curve so far has not been to bad ..... did find out that 10 doesn't like older games and DirectX 12 keps saying not enough video ram even though I'm running 2GB so my older Tiger woods PGA 7 won't run ..... it did on Win 8.1 but not on 10 ..... also now says that the game doesn't recognize my video card which it did in 8.1 .....  this new laptop runs to different video cards Nvidia GeForce 840M with 2 GB Dedicated VRAM and the Intel HD Graphics 4400 with only 128MB Dedicated Video Memory ...... I'm guessing that the game is reading the Intel 4400 and not seeing the Nvidia card .... . according to the Acer specs the Intel runs the 4400 for web searching and emails and normal tasks and then can switch to the GeForce 840M for gaming and video movies and such .... but for some reason it won't shift ....

The laptop is a Acer V15 Touch V3-572PG - 93RL ..... so as to getting used to Win 10 I also have to get us to the new laptop ..... would just keeping using this one and do away with fixing my desktop but the laptop doesn't have the balls the desktop has as far as playing games .... but I do love the 15.6 in touch screen and other features ....  :thumbsup:

:cheersty: 

• Like 2

Malcolm Graham
Posted
Posted

One thing to be aware of in Windows 10

windows-10-update-download.png
After installing Windows 10, Feeling like your Internet Bandwidth is dropping away? Windows 10 is stealing your network bandwidth.

Along with the privacy features related to Wi-Fi Sense, Windows 10 users should check for another hidden by default feature that uses your network bandwidth to share updates with other Windows 10 users across the Internet.

Microsoft launched Windows 10 on July 29 and offered a free upgrade to Windows 7,8 and 8.1 users, and for anyone who wants to download it. But, handling millions of simultaneous 3.5GB downloads is quite difficult for the company.

So, in order to cope up with the issue, Microsoft has baked a new feature into its latest desktop operating system that uses the torrent-style approach to obtain software updates, allowing Windows 10 users to download updates from other users.

Windows 10 is Stealing your Internet Bandwidth

The feature, known as Windows Update Delivery Optimization (WUDO), is initially designed to help users get faster software updates, which is quite a good idea to handle massive internet traffic of up to 40 Terabits per second (TBps).

WUDO works a lot like torrents work. Your computer running Windows 10 is used as part of a peer-to-peer network to deliver software updates faster to others, each person distributing a little bit of the files across multiple computers and helping everyone download updates quickly.

But, this peer-to-peer sharing method offered by Windows 10 is using your precious Internet bandwidth, without hinting you about it, because the feature is enabled by default in Windows 10 Home and Pro edition. WUDO is also enabled in Windows 10 Enterprise and Education, but only for the local network.

How to Disable Windows Update Delivery Optimization (WUDO)?

You can disable the feature, but the option is buried deep in the Settings menu for Windows Update.
windows-10-update.png
To turn this feature OFF, follow these given steps:

• Go to Settings in the Start menu
  • Search for Update & Security
  • Under Windows Update, open Advanced Options
  • Under Choose How Updates are Installed, select Choose how updates are delivered
  • Disable the toggle under Updated from More than One Place

The feature is a good idea to speed up software updates, but enabling it by default without the knowledge of users is probably not at all a great idea.

In a statement, a Microsoft said that the feature "helps people get updates and apps more quickly if they have a limited or unreliable internet connection" and that it "doesn't slow down your internet connection"because it uses a "limited portion" of idle upload bandwidth.
  • Like 4

Mike S
Posted
Posted (edited)

Here is another site with some warnings on installing Win 10 ...... the best information anyone can receive when downloading or installing new programs or software is NEVER NEVER select normal download or installation ...... ALWAYS select custom download .... that way you can control what gets put where and what on you computer ..... ever get unwanted tool bars and such ..... it was because you let the program install normal installation instead of custom ..... FYI

http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/bitwise/2015/08/windows_10_privacy_problems_here_s_how_bad_they_are_and_how_to_plug_them.html

Buy the way as I said in my first post read and select everything VERY CAREFULLY if you choose to try Win 10 there are a ton of choices mostly with radio buttons (on or off) ..... 99% of the time if you make a wrong choice and something doesn't work right you can go back and change your choice later .... IMHO

Edited by Mike S
  • Like 3

Richieboy67
Posted
Posted (edited)

Here is another site with some warnings on installing Win 10 ...... the best information anyone can receive when downloading or installing new programs or software is NEVER NEVER select normal download or installation ...... ALWAYS select custom download .... that way you can control what gets put where and what on you computer ..... ever get unwanted tool bars and such ..... it was because you let the program install normal installation instead of custom ..... FYI

http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/bitwise/2015/08/windows_10_privacy_problems_here_s_how_bad_they_are_and_how_to_plug_them.html

Buy the way as I said in my first post read and select everything VERY CAREFULLY if you choose to try Win 10 there are a ton of choices mostly with radio buttons (on or off) ..... 99% of the time if you make a wrong choice and something doesn't work right you can go back and change your choice later .... IMHO

I agree about using custom download every time and that goes for anything and everything I download.

And yeah, there are many sites playing on the fear factor. It happened with every other windows upgrade as well. I just go through the options during set up and I'm not too worried about it.

Edited by Richieboy67
  • Like 1

Malcolm Graham
Posted
Posted

I haven't installed Windows 10.  I'll wait till the very large update due in October before installing

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
I haven't installed Windows 10.  I'll wait till the very large update due in October before installing

Sounds good.  I likely need an upgrade to my POS (Piece of sh&t) laptop so I'll wait until then and get a laptop with the up to date Windows 10 already on it.  :hystery:

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 1

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted (edited)

I recently upgraded my laptop. I added 4 more RAM to my exisitng 2 RAM that came with my computer. The service center where I bought my RAM said they would install it but I would have to reformat my laptop to get the full benefit of the added RAM. 64 bit instead of 32.  They said to reformat it would take 4 to 6 hours. I didn't want to wait.

My wife has a friend who does troubleshooting for us whenever we have a computer problem. He came and done it free of charge but we paid him anyway.

He added Windows 10. I already had Windows 7 and was quite pleased with it. He said to try Windows 10 and if we were not pleased he would delete it and go back to Windows 7.

Turned out, that I like Windows 10. It has many nice features. It's all in getting used to it. So, to bring a long story to an end I would suggest trying Windows 10. At least try it.

Have fun and say "hi" to Cortana when you do.

(Moderator's Note:  Merged with existing active thread)

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 1